HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 19, 2021, 3:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelback View Post
Five metros with the biggest home-price increases according to Redfin
-Phoenix, Las Vegas, Sacramento, Austin and Miami were ranked the five cities with the biggest home-price increases, according to Redfin data
https://www.foxbusiness.com/real-est...creases-redfin

Austin saw the largest increase year over year at 42.4%.
Phoenix second-largest increase at 33.3%.
Definitely for Miami. I wonder what June's median price will be? This was the median sale price of a single family home in Miami-Dade County with a huge change in just one year:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8721 View Post
A year in the life of the median sale price in Miami-Dade County, what a difference a year makes:
5/2020: $375,714
6/2020: $388,500
7/2020: $410,000
8/2020: $416,000
9/2020: $435,000
10/2020: $435,000
11/2020: $450,000
12/2020: $455,000
1/2021: $469,500
2/2021: $450,000
3/2021: $491,250
4/2021: $515,000

Old Posted Jun 19, 2021, 4:01 AM

I don't get how Phoenix has been able to sustain such a high level of growth when it's like 40+ for a full third of the year. In 10 years when climate change has made that region even hotter and drier are all these new homeowners going to be out a boat load of money as it's even more clear that the Arizona desert is not a suitable place for a gigantic city? I'm curious what the end game will be for places like this as it's not sustainable and eventually something will have to change.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2021, 4:36 AM
Pay it Forward

Just looked at redfin at the most recent sales in our neighborhood, and I actually think these sales prices are pretty fair, all things considered. I remember when a house in the Oakland Hills breaking $2 million was a huge deal, now it's like meh. I miss the old days tbh.

$5,700,000 sold yesterday.
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Piedmont/2...0/home/2045262

$8,400,000 sold a week ago.
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Piedmont/1...11/home/648309

$3,900,000 sold a week ago.
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Piedmont/2...11/home/946456

$4,040,000 sold a week ago.
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Piedmont/8...1/home/1931685

$5,225,000 sold 3 weeks ago.
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Piedmont/2...1/home/2000634

$4,500,000 sold 3 weeks ago.
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Piedmont/9...1/home/1079883

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Jun 19, 2021, 10:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggerino View Post
I don't get how Phoenix has been able to sustain such a high level of growth when it's like 40+ for a full third of the year. In 10 years when climate change has made that region even hotter and drier are all these new homeowners going to be out a boat load of money as it's even more clear that the Arizona desert is not a suitable place for a gigantic city? I'm curious what the end game will be for places like this as it's not sustainable and eventually something will have to change.
If you don't "get it", it means you need to read more on the subject. There is a lot of information about how modern day Phoenix came to be, on top of the ruins of the Hohokam, which were here for a thousand years prior.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2021, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Phoenix is the closest proximate metro to Southern CA, so gets tons of households cashing out or unable to afford LA and SD. Also, lots of people from northern climes think Phoenix is a desert paradise, which sounds insane to me, but I've heard this from both Americans and Canadians. Add the Mexican border, and a large Mormon population, and you have a recipe for almost guaranteed growth.

And millions of people love golf, which IMO is the most boring sport invented, but lots of people always raving about Phoenix golf. I've golfed in Scottsdale for work, and the midday sun/heat is so horrible no one actually golfs except early in the morning or early in the evening. I'd rather be outdoors in Nome, Alaska.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2021, 12:45 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post

And millions of people love golf, which IMO is the most boring sport invented, but lots of people always raving about Phoenix golf. I've golfed in Scottsdale for work, and the midday sun/heat is so horrible no one actually golfs except early in the morning or early in the evening. I'd rather be outdoors in Nome, Alaska.
A non-golfer that thinks the sport is the most boring invented, decided to participate in the sport in Scottsdale "for work" at midday and doesn't get why people rave about it, lol

Here we go again!

A lot of people rave about the NBA, I went to New York to shoot some hoops, in January, shirts vs skins, in a rainstorm, for work, at night, let me tell you, it was so horrible, I'd rather be on the dark side of the Moon.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2021, 12:49 AM

Quote:
A non-golfer that thinks the sport is the most boring invented, decided to participate in the sport in Scottsdale "for work" at midday and doesn't get why people rave about it, lol

Here we go again!
No, we golfed all morning, wilting in the heat. 18 holes takes like four hours. At midday the course was a ghost town. And I'm not a non-golfer, I'm in an industry where all the old white director-level dudes love golf and my participation isn't a choice.

Golf is a special level of suck. Of course golf sucks everywhere, regardless of climate. But doing it on the closest equivalent to the surface of the sun takes the suck to a new level.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2021, 1:02 AM

Quote:

Here we go again!

A lot of people rave about the NBA, I went to New York to shoot some hoops, in January, shirts vs skins, in a rainstorm, for work, at night, let me tell you, it was so horrible, I'd rather be on the dark side of the Moon.

Actually, calling it a sport is where he crossed the line.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2021, 3:51 AM

I understand. My grandparents spend the winters in Arizona and love it. I have been and can sort of get the appeal, but it's definitely not for me, admittedly.

I'm just curious if there are any serious predictions about a substantial migration away from these places as droughts and heatwaves continue and get worse. I assume that most of the almost 5 million people in Phoenix do not live there solely because of golf, but rather cause they were born there, family and, as others mentioned, the relatively cheaper real estate. Once the effects of climate change become more severe, will people's calculus for where they live change in mass? There are other affordable places in the US that won't be struggling to the same extent as the southwest, such as the midwest.

I do not know much about the real estate market going on right now in the US, to be honest. It just seems like a crazy thing that the places I would think will be borderline unlivable in 50 years are where people are staking themselves and buying homes.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2021, 4:08 AM
你的媽媽

Quote:
I understand. My grandparents spend the winters in Arizona and love it. I have been and can sort of get the appeal, but it's definitely not for me, admittedly.

I'm just curious if there are any serious predictions about a substantial migration away from these places as droughts and heatwaves continue and get worse. I assume that most of the almost 5 million people in Phoenix do not live there solely because of golf, but rather cause they were born there, family and, as others mentioned, the relatively cheaper real estate. Once the effects of climate change become more severe, will people's calculus for where they live change in mass? There are other affordable places in the US that won't be struggling to the same extent as the southwest, such as the midwest.

I do not know much about the real estate market going on right now in the US, to be honest. It just seems like a crazy thing that the places I would think will be borderline unlivable in 50 years are where people are staking themselves and buying homes.
I'm sure it's great in the winter time, but as a wimpy native Northern Californian, anything over 90F is too hot for me (and anything below 60F is bust out the North Face/Patagonia/Arcteryx weather), so places that routinely reach 100-110+F have absolutely zero appeal to me no matter how cheap they are.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2021, 5:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
I'm sure it's great in the winter time, but as a wimpy native Northern Californian, anything over 90F is too hot for me (and anything below 60F is bust out the North Face/Patagonia/Arcteryx weather), so places that routinely reach 100-110+F have absolutely zero appeal to me no matter how cheap they are.
We Californians aren't wimpy when it comes to the weather. Only the hardiest of humans can survive in this climate, and that's the truth.

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 20, 2021, 5:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
No, we golfed all morning, wilting in the heat. 18 holes takes like four hours. At midday the course was a ghost town. And I'm not a non-golfer, I'm in an industry where all the old white director-level dudes love golf and my participation isn't a choice.

Golf is a special level of suck. Of course golf sucks everywhere, regardless of climate. But doing it on the closest equivalent to the surface of the sun takes the suck to a new level.
It's fun. I used to play, but the main appeal for me was just being outside relaxing amid beautiful surroundings, feeling the breeze. So sweating my ass off for four hours in a desert course has zero appeal.

Maybe I'll pick up the game again when this course changes ownership. I'd like to give it try. https://goo.gl/maps/tL6y8aXgQyseJmp57

Old Posted Jun 20, 2021, 4:28 PM
E pluribus unum

A good chunk of the five million people in Metro Phoenix moved there from somewhere else. Lots of transients with no real ties other than they were hoping for something better than what was offered from where they came. To dumb it down even further, the people who moved here from the Midwest usually come to escape the weather or to retire, and the people moving here from California are seeking cheaper costs of living/real estate.

For example, my family moved to Phoenix from Cincinnati partly because of my asthma. The humidity and mold in Cincinnati resulted in frequent hospitalizations and the arid desert climate greatly improved my health. My dad's grandparents moved to Tempe in 1968 to alleviate my great grandmother's emphysema and while they'd died before we moved, my dad already had some familiarity with the area from past visits.

My concern is that if there is an exodus (improbable as that might be in the short term?) they'll start moving north to places like Prescott, Payson, Flagstaff and Show Low. Lots of people have second/vacation homes in these cities, but none of them have the infrastructure to support the people already living there.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2021, 4:29 PM

As a Midwesterner who moved to Phoenix the summer heat is just reverse winter. I have dealt with sub zero temperatures before windchill for weeks if not months at a time. There is not a comfortable time to do errands in winter for me. In a Phoenix Summer I can run errands in the morning or at night with shorts and a tshirt on. During the day you go from air conditioned house to air conditioned car to air conditioned shop/gym/theater or you jump into a pool. Most people who comment on the southwest water issue have no clue, it’s mostly pointless to debate this, but farms will be long gone before residents stop having water. Eventually there will be a cost/benefit where desal will happen.

People move here for the 60-90 degree weather with less than 15% humidity from late October to mid May and tolerate the summer heat like people in the Midwest tolerate winters. It’s cheaper than the coast, property taxes are cheap, traffic isn’t bad, hiking and beautiful scenery is everywhere in the city, proximity to many travel destinations.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2021, 4:44 PM
E pluribus unum

This is just a personal opinion/observation but even though Flagstaff averages something like 100 inches of snow a year, the winters aren't the constant gray/slush/wet that I remember from growing up in Cincinnati. It'll dump two feet of snow one day, then be 45F and sunny the next day (and rest of the week), and most of the snow melts within a few days.

Then again, temperatures in the teens or single digit temps aren't a rarity at night even in April.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 8:46 PM

More Los Angeles real estate, from The Eastsider.

3380 Descanso Dr | Silver Lake
3 Beds | 2.5 Baths | $1,549,000

1474 Silver Lake Blvd | Silver Lake
4 Beds | 3 Baths | $1,499,000

4811 Sonata Ln | Highland Park
3 Beds | 2 Baths | $1,149,000

5065 Mount Helena Ave | Eagle Rock
3 Beds + Bonus | 2 Baths | $1,298,000

4984 Vincent Ave | Eagle Rock

2075 Norwalk Ave | Eagle Rock
3 Beds | 2 Baths | $1,199,000

Link/details for each property: https://www.theeastsiderla.com/spons...ticle-nav-prev

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 8:51 PM
BANNED

^For 1.3 that seems like a reasonable price given the location (between Glendale and Pasadena). The outdoor space is nicely done, low maintenance plants and relatively drought tolerant landscaping. I love the large overhanging wild bougainvillea.

Regarding the mediterranean/spanish look, I will say that white siding (stucco included) with a traditional red tile roof will probably become the next "trend" as everybody is sick and tired of gray gray gray everything. In the 00s it was all about shades of tan and thankfully that faded out.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2021, 4:15 PM
Pay it Forward

A lot of people who dont live here seem to be personally wounded by CA home prices, often wishing for natural disaster or a huge market crash. Like, why bro?

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Jun 26, 2021, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimondpark View Post
A lot of people who dont live here seem to be personally wounded by CA home prices, often wishing for natural disaster or a huge market crash. Like, why bro?
Is really odd behavior. Why would someone in a different state care so much about our prices to wish death and destruction?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2021, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
I see that as a huge problem (my gf and I have been trying to buy for what feels like forever only to see prices skyrocket and houses, townhouses and condos going for way over the asking price in our market) but we're lower middle class and I'm relatively liberal so maybe my worldview is off?

There was a Wall Street Journal article published within the last week (I don't have a subscription) about, if I understood correctly, Blackwater buying up homes and renting them out to the people they outbid. For whatever reason, it makes me (irrationally?) angry, but do I have that right? It's basically capitalism at its finest. Can or should that kind of stuff be regulated?
Myself being a hard core supply side pro-market person, the best way to put a stop to the madness is increased supply, period. It doesn't matter wither it's London, Hong Kong, NYC, San Jose or Witchita, KS every place on the globe that has a housing price issue has a supply issue.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions