HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Sep 5, 2023, 4:22 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

What's going on in Memphis? Most cities are seeing small to moderate decreases in homicide rates but Memphis is up 40% year to year according to https://www.ahdatalytics.com/dashboa...er-comparison/ . 225 homicides as of Aug 28 in a city with a population of 630,000.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2023, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorhosj1 View Post
You are correct, that perception seems completely detached from reality. I will add that SF does benefit from essentially “outsourcing” a lot of these problems to Oakland.
It also does not help that SF "action"/dysfunction is going on in touristy areas. Its very visible.
The reason why most Americans are able to tolerate these high crime rates is because a lot of it is insulated/segregated away in its own sections.
If Chicago situation spilled into the Loop or the North side you'd have similar attitudes from people and headlines.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2023, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
If Chicago situation spilled into the Loop or the North side you'd have similar attitudes from people and headlines.
I don't follow. Violence in Chicago is constantly in the headlines, as it has been for generations.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2023, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
It also does not help that SF "action"/dysfunction is going on in touristy areas. Its very visible.
The reason why most Americans are able to tolerate these high crime rates is because a lot of it is insulated/segregated away in its own sections.
Thats a good point but could it also be the fact that a big part of SFs problematic community (homeless & drug users) are white?

Old Posted Sep 5, 2023, 7:02 PM
你的媽媽

SF generally does not have an issue with violent crime. Homicides as of 8/27 are at 37 for the year. There are quite a few large parts of the City like the Richmond and Sunset that don't have any homicides at all, even including 2022 (although there was one recent one). But for the most part, you will be safe in SF.

The biggest issue with with property crime, although it does appear to be down 3.4% from last year. Not a huge improvement, but at least it's better. That being said, I'm not sure if there are any large cities that don't suffer from property crime, as it's typically a crime of opportunity. Lots of people to steal from in a small area, lots of opportunity, especially in affluent ones. I just saw over the weekend, F1 driver Carlos Sainz was mugged in the Montenapoleone district of Milan, where thieves forcibly removed a $324k watch from his hand.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2023, 12:30 AM

As of August 26, Los Angeles is at 203 homicides so far this year, which is 24.5% fewer homicides than we had by the same date last year.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2023, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
I found very annoying recently seeing American retirees on another forum singling out San Francisco for very high crime, even claiming that crime has skyrocketed there in the recent decade, disorder and decay has become rampant, and warning other users to stay out of the city. Even as a Canadian, I found it infuriating to read and I was forced to take time to refute them and defend the city. SF may not doing so great by Western standards, but by US standards it is amazing. I don't think we can ignore the context when we talk about city murder rates. Country murder rates, that's a whole other matter.
Those people are wrong, but so are you if you think SF has an amazingly low crime rate by US standards.

In 2019, it had the 32nd highest violent crime rate of the 100 largest US cities, and the 4th highest property crime rate. It ranked 66th for the murder rate, but it's still higher than quite a few other large cities.

Is SF as bad as the media narrative currently says? No, obviously not. Is it amazingly safe by US standards? No, not at all lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorhosj1 View Post
You are correct, that perception seems completely detached from reality. I will add that SF does benefit from essentially “outsourcing” a lot of these problems to Oakland.
I guess you could say SF "outsources" some problems, but then so does Oakland, and any other combo of cities/suburbs. SF's recorded crime and poverty rates do "benefit" a little bit, while Oakland's suffer (the rates would be somewhere in the middle if the cities combined, of course), but it's all the same metro anyways.

But at the same time SF and Oakland don't outsource problems. While they're interdependent (with SF having a larger proportion of wealthy areas, and Oakland more working class areas, as we all know), they're also more or less "full-service" cities all on their own, with each containing large upper class, middle class, and lower class residential areas, a downtown area, sizable industrial areas, ports, etc, all within their respective city limits (with each containing areas about as rough and fancy as each other). The cities are also right next to each other, and its common for residents of both cities to be victims or perpetrators of crime in the other. They both have multiple poor and high crime neighborhoods (Oakland has more), lots of homeless people (Oakland has more), and the Bay Area's main open air drug market is in SF, in the Tenderloin, while SF also has far more tourists to rob. They're both simultaneously dealing with their own problems and "outsourcing" them to each other, along with anything else you can imagine.

And it's not exactly surprising lol. They're within the same urban/metro area, share a border, and you can travel between downtown Oakland and downtown SF in about 15 minutes.

Last edited by tech12; Sep 6, 2023 at 3:19 AM.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2023, 6:24 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

well, some good news —

NYPD reports one of the safest Labor Day weekends on record

By Bahar Ostadan
Published Sep 5, 2023

New York City enjoyed one of the safest Labor Day weekends on record this year, according to city officials.

Despite the large crowds attending the U.S. Open Tennis Championships, the Electric Zoo music festival and West Indian Day Parade, major crime was down 9% last weekend compared to the same period last year, Mayor Eric Adams said.

“The approach was clear: How do we celebrate without allowing people to be harmed by those who want to bring violence in this city?” Adams said.

The mayor continued, "Not only was this past weekend a historic success, one most recent crime stat shows that we are making significant progress on lowering crime overall."

more:
https://gothamist.com/news/nypd-repo...ends-on-record

Old Posted Sep 6, 2023, 12:45 PM

Since the start of the year 36 murders can be linked to a "gang war" between two drug gangs in Marseille, France. The past month 12 people have been killed. I dont know if this is simply the city of Marseille (pop 870 000) or the metro area (1.9 mil) but i believe its within the city proper as thats where most of the "banlieus" (Housing projects) are located.

I cant seem to find the total number, but Im sure there are some murders not linked to the current gang war.

No matter what or how we count, the numbers are quite high for a European city.

https://www.france24.com/en/live-new...shoot-it-out-1

Old Posted Sep 6, 2023, 3:09 PM

Wow that seems shockingly high for a european city of that size

Old Posted Sep 6, 2023, 4:25 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
What's going on in Memphis? Most cities are seeing small to moderate decreases in homicide rates but Memphis is up 40% year to year according to https://www.ahdatalytics.com/dashboa...er-comparison/ . 225 homicides as of Aug 28 in a city with a population of 630,000.
not just homicides, but it looks like all crime across the board. sad.

https://www.commercialappeal.com/sto...y/70151910007/

Old Posted Sep 6, 2023, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
not just homicides, but it looks like all crime across the board. sad.

https://www.commercialappeal.com/sto...y/70151910007/
with all the negative publicity the department has received in recent years, i'm assuming the police have done what they've always done in response to criticism.

stopped policing.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2023, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Concentrated poverty and one of the worst cases of white flight. Local leadership seems ineffective to solve these problems which is a shame because with Memphis’ location it could be a boom town

Old Posted Sep 6, 2023, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilcapo View Post
Since the start of the year 36 murders can be linked to a "gang war" between two drug gangs in Marseille, France. The past month 12 people have been killed. I dont know if this is simply the city of Marseille (pop 870 000) or the metro area (1.9 mil) but i believe its within the city proper as thats where most of the "banlieus" (Housing projects) are located.

I cant seem to find the total number, but Im sure there are some murders not linked to the current gang war.

Mah, France is being a shithole country.

Kids can't even do the math any longer these days. They play their dumb video games (don't ask them for a chess play, they don't know what it is), fight in the streets for anything stupid... They're completely lost, can't write any French sentence properly.
It is a disaster.

All those assholes will have the far right in power one of these days, then they'll all cry after their mommies.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 8:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post

Kids can't even do the math any longer these days. They play their dumb video games (don't ask them for a chess play, they don't know what it is), fight in the streets for anything stupid... They're completely lost, can't write any French sentence properly.
It is a disaster.

All those assholes will have the far right in power one of these days, then they'll all cry after their mommies.
The situation in Marseille has got some media coverage lately. It was quite bad last year as well if i remember correctly.

What about Paris? I cant find any reliable statistics concerning the number of murders in Paris or any other city in France for that matter.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 9:13 AM

7/9 2023

Sweden (pop 10.5 mil)
YTD Estimated total:
2023: 80 (36 deadly shootings)
2022: 77 (48)
2021: 73

Stockholm Metro (pop 2.4 mil)
YTD Estimated total:
2023: 30 (15 deadly shootings)
2022: 33
2021: 28

Within City limits/Municipality (Pop 980.000)
YTD Estimated total:
2023: 14 (9 deadly shootings)
2022: 17 (8)
2021: 14

Gothenburg/Göteborg Municipality (Pop 600 000)
YTD Estimated total:
2023: 6 (3 deadly shootings)
2022: 3 (2)
2021: 7

Malmo/Malmö Municipality (Pop 360 000)
YTD Estimated total:
2023: 4 (1 deadly shooting)
2022: 9 (5)
2021: 3

Last edited by ilcapo; Sep 7, 2023 at 10:04 AM.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 11:44 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilcapo View Post

According to an article I found in Le Figaro it's now up to 40.

My guess is the numbers are for city proper as in France people don't refer to suburbs outside of city limits as the city itself as much as they do in other countries. With the possible exception of innermost highly urbanized suburbs of Paris.

In any event it seems like 99% of murders in Bouches-du,-Rhône (Greater Marseille) are in the city proper.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post

It is a disaster.

I heard Marseille has a big ghetto. Not sure how true that is, I never been.
Its a shame, because its in a good geographic location.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2023, 1:17 PM

Broadly speaking, the trendlines seem to be going in the right direction, except something is going off the rails in DC--

Atlanta
2023 YTD: 81
2022 YTD: 112
Rate: 16.2 per 100K
Change: -28%

Boston
2023 YTD: 25
2022 YTD: 26
Rate: 3.85 per 100K
Change -4%

Chicago
2023 YTD: 423
2022 YTD: 467
Rate: 14.84 per 100K
Change -9%

Los Angeles
2023 YTD: 208
2022 YTD: 275
Rate: 5.33 per 100K
Change -24%

New York
2023: 274
2022: 303
Rate: 3.11 per 100K
Change: -10%

Philadelphia
2023: 296
2022: 374
Rate: 18.5 per 100K
Change: -21%

San Francisco
2023: 38
2022: 33
Rate: 4.35 per 100K
Change +15%

Washington, DC
2023: 186
2022: 144
Rate: 26.57 per 100K
Change: +29%

Old Posted Sep 8, 2023, 1:51 PM

Holy shit, DC is going crazy. It's amazing that a city as wealthy and heavily gentrified as DC still has that much ghetto shooty idiocy. DC is probably the most gentrified city in the U.S.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions