HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova08 View Post
At this point, get on board with the push for service to Phoenixville for a fraction of the cost.
Amtrak has tentative plans for a train to Reading via KOP and Phoenixville.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Philadelphia is a chosen city for the 2026 World Cup Games!

NYC and Boston are the other cities in the Northeast.
DC didn't make it (I'm secretly chuckling at DC).
So now that we are a World Cup city, in addition to hosting the MLB All Star game which also occurs during the World Cup that year, I wonder what effect will that have on the other developments proposed for the sports complex (the office building and the "reimagined" Fusion video game arena)?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoughtcriminal View Post
So now that we are a World Cup city, in addition to hosting the MLB All Star game which also occurs during the World Cup that year, I wonder what effect will that have on the other developments proposed for the sports complex (the office building and the "reimagined" Fusion video game arena)?
I don't think OWL or the Fusion will be around in 2023, much less 2026.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
I don't think OWL or the Fusion will be around in 2023, much less 2026.
well that's probably why they've "reimagined" the arena to a multipurpose venue - one that could still host OWL if it's still around, but other events also in case it's not. https://www.phillyvoice.com/south-ph...eer-district-/

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjrip View Post
Did the renovations at 146 N 2nd lose their funding or something?
It's been sitting ever since they shored up the structure. Looks like it cost a fortune though I don't know for sure. Just another blighted, zombie storefront on this stretch.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 4:27 PM
Me?!?

Are folks against rail to KOP in general, or just this specific project?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
That money could be put towards extending the BSL to the Navy Yard, restoring service to West Chester (a MUCH more sensible suburban expansion), or the enabling projects required to deliver on the Regional Rail Master Plan, among many other superior uses.
Why WC, though? KOP is the second largest employment center in the area (third if you split up CC and UC) and has a much stronger connection to the city.

I can agree that in a perfect world all of our smaller but solid urban areas would have a connection, though.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post

Why WC, though? KOP is the second largest employment center in the area (third if you split up CC and UC) and has a much stronger connection to the city.

I can agree that in a perfect world all of our smaller but solid urban areas would have a connection, though.
The specific project in its current iteration.
If it had gone along the original ROW (and by extension cost about half as much to build) it'd be a different story.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 4:58 PM

Quote:

Some are against this specific version of the project, while others don't agree with the concept at all. The main grievance I've heard is that KOP Rail doesn't solve the main issue enabling this project: the lack of a convenient one-seat ride to KOP from Center City. Riders will have to take the El to 69th Street and transfer before being able to head towards KOP. This could require three or more transfers (ex. if someone lives in North Philly but works in KOP), which doesn't really solve anything. Others have an issue with the alignment. Running it along 1st Avenue instead of Gulph Road misses the new KOP Town Center.

Schuylkill Valley Metro has always been the superior proposal in my mind, as it would have provided a true one-seat ride to the mall, office parks, and new housing developments via the ex-PRR Trenton Cutoff.

Regarding West Chester: it's not that I don't think that KOP is a larger job center than WC, but restoring service could be done using less funds. The line north of the new Wawa Station is in pretty good shape, and ridership projections have shown that such a restoration would be a good return on investment.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 5:01 PM

Quote:

Mostly against the project not the rail. The cost, the projected low ridership numbers, the poor alignment because of nimbys.
The BSL extension to the Navy Yard would easy smash the KOP ridership numbers.

We do need rail to KOP not the cost of nearly 1 billion dollars per mile.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 5:42 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
The specific project in its current iteration.
If it had gone along the original ROW (and by extension cost about half as much to build) it'd be a different story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
Some are against this specific version of the project, while others don't agree with the concept at all. The main grievance I've heard is that KOP Rail doesn't solve the main issue enabling this project: the lack of a convenient one-seat ride to KOP from Center City. Riders will have to take the El to 69th Street and transfer before being able to head towards KOP. This could require three or more transfers (ex. if someone lives in North Philly but works in KOP), which doesn't really solve anything. Others have an issue with the alignment. Running it along 1st Avenue instead of Gulph Road misses the new KOP Town Center.

Schuylkill Valley Metro has always been the superior proposal in my mind, as it would have provided a true one-seat ride to the mall, office parks, and new housing developments via the ex-PRR Trenton Cutoff.

Regarding West Chester: it's not that I don't think that KOP is a larger job center than WC, but restoring service could be done using less funds. The line north of the new Wawa Station is in pretty good shape, and ridership projections have shown that such a restoration would be a good return on investment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaNerd View Post
Mostly against the project not the rail. The cost, the projected low ridership numbers, the poor alignment because of nimbys.
The BSL extension to the Navy Yard would easy smash the KOP ridership numbers.

We do need rail to KOP not the cost of nearly 1 billion dollars per mile.
Makes sense and I agree with many of these points.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 6:00 PM

Quote:
I'm really just against this project as well. I think KOP will be better served with a regional rail station (which is being pursued as well) and shuttle buses to the various business parks/mall. I don't think it makes sense to build rapid transit; KOP is too sprawling and car-oriented (a lot of areas don't even have sidewalks). Even if they used the original alignment I'd probably think the same (maybe wouldn't be as frustrated if they did it). They are taking multiple billions of dollars away from other projects that would serve more people/have more usage (like the mentioned BSL extension/regional rail and trolley modernization plans, not to mention dreams about Roosevelt Boulevard subway or Delaware ave streetcar). I might feel different if KOP had some sort of long range TOD and pedestrian plan, but as far as I know they don't. they want to stay the same but with a rapid transit that nobody will use. If some business wants to open up shop around there and have access to a pedestrian friendly environment with rapid transit, Norristown (which I think you mentioned you lived there once) is right there. Or even better, come to Philly !

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoughtcriminal View Post
I really hope this, the all star game and the country's 250 birthday celebration kick-starts some major development down there. Tons of potential with the sports complex, BSL, FDR Park and the Navy Yard right there. Looks like at least the city might get moving on changes to FDR park (though the meadow area there is really nice and I'll be sad to see most of it go.)
https://www.phila.gov/2022-06-16-the...-philadelphia/

Last edited by Skintreesnail; Jun 17, 2022 at 6:21 PM.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 6:59 PM
Chris

Giant is opening their new store at 510 N. Broad St on June 24th.

Fine Print: Giant opening 2 new Pennsylvania stores; Miami firm pays $12.73M for Blue Bell office complex

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...Pos=0#cxrecs_s

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Amtrak has tentative plans for a train to Reading via KOP and Phoenixville.
Getting NS to play ball all the way to Reading will be interesting to watch. Starting out to Phoenixville should be a quicker win, albeit overkill for Amtrak service. And there is the fact that Amtrak will want PA to subsidize Philadelphia to Reading once all the Infrastructure stimulus runs out.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenster View Post
Will we have enough hotels? I’d expect all star games coming here as well.
Well, this gives us four years to build them.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 8:46 PM

facade climbing on 545 n broad

Old Posted Jun 18, 2022, 3:28 AM

1823 Callowhill just south of Mathias Baldwin Park

Old Posted Jun 18, 2022, 2:23 PM

Posting here because folks were just talking about west Chester rail:
https://www.phillyvoice.com/west-che...ladelphia/amp/

I like the idea of running on battery power outside the current electrified network. Especially if that means the battery charges while running under wires. That could be useful for rail to Phoenixville and Quakertown as well.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2022, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintreesnail View Post
Posting here because folks were just talking about west Chester rail:
https://www.phillyvoice.com/west-che...ladelphia/amp/

I like the idea of running on battery power outside the current electrified network. Especially if that means the battery charges while running under wires. That could be useful for rail to Phoenixville and Quakertown as well.
Something feels corrupt about this project. There are so many other more impactful projects SEPTA could invest in.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2022, 8:15 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by helloworld View Post

1823 Callowhill just south of Mathias Baldwin Park
More tiny windows

At least it's infill development.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2022, 8:29 PM

^^^ It’s ok for the area I suppose. Franklintown is kinda awkward. Could use a long term master plan to tie it in with the rest of the city.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development