HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Sep 22, 2023, 11:37 PM
Show me the blueprints

^ Regarding station cooling, 100% the answer is geothermal heat pumps. The technology is amazingly simple and could be done cost effectively.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Sep 22, 2023, 11:59 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

booo hisss !!!

BUSES

Transit Chief’s Bronx Jeer as City Hall Nixes Fordham Road Revamp

The Adams administration killed the plan to create bus-only lanes along one of the city’s slowest mass-transit thoroughfares in the face of local business and political opposition.

BY JOSE MARTINEZ SEP 22, 2023, 5:42PM EDT
ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY JONATHAN CUSTODIO

The head of New York City Transit is concerned that the collapse Friday of plans to speed bus service along a key Bronx corridor could spell trouble for similar efforts across the city.

Richard Davey, president of the MTA division that operates the bus, subway and paratransit systems, told THE CITY on Friday afternoon that the “perplexing” decision by the Adams administration to scrap long-planned upgrades along busy Fordham Road under political pressure is “disappointing.”

“Fordham Road, those 85,000 bus customers — that’s more bus customers than you have in St. Louis or Cleveland,” Davey said. “This is not just some meaningless area, it’s a big deal.”

more:
https://www.thecity.nyc/2023/9/22/23...fordham-revamp

Old Posted Sep 23, 2023, 12:12 AM
Show me the blueprints

Like most of what NYCT plans, the Fordham Rd plan was half assed anyway. Bx12 should be a premier tramway ala one of the T lines in Paris. Literally every transit agency in the world could see that except the MTA.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Sep 26, 2023, 1:24 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

the post crabs about the wasteful mta overbuilding process, the lirr port jeff expansion and the ibx:

MTA’s backward design process puts consultants in charge, adds millions of dollars in costs, insiders say

By Nolan Hicks
Published Sep. 17, 2023

Researchers at New York University’s Marron Institute have fingered the MTA’s reliance on outside firms as a major contributor to the record-shattering price tag of the Second Avenue Subway’s first phase through the Upper East Side.

As part of the project, caverns dug for its platforms were double the necessary size, and station designs were so bespoke that each of the three new stops has escalators made by a different manufacturer.

“Agencies need to be able to clearly define scope – what they want – and tell consultants what they need them to do,” said Eric Goldwyn, who led the team that produced a 424-page report which compared how the MTA builds projects to other major transit agencies across the globe.

“And when they can’t do that, there’s uncertainty. And that’s when projects sprawl out of control,” he said.

more:
https://nypost.com/2023/09/17/mtas-b...lars-in-costs/

Old Posted Sep 27, 2023, 1:53 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

unpacking the new open gangway subway cars —

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CxOIt...RlODBiNWFlZA==

Old Posted Sep 29, 2023, 5:51 PM
Show me the blueprints

Well, shit.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2023, 1:32 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

the push to tear down the fdr south of the brooklyn bridge —

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cxa0i...RlODBiNWFlZA==

Old Posted Oct 6, 2023, 1:19 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

another push for 7 train to nj —

Extend NYC subway to New Jersey?

TED GOLDBERG | OCTOBER 3, 2023 | TRANSPORTATION

Reps. Pascrell and Menendez make a pitch

New York’s plan to charge a new toll on drivers entering lower Manhattan is moving ahead despite the vehement opposition of New Jersey politicians. But some Garden State leaders are still hoping to bring more direct benefits of congestion pricing to New Jersey.

Rep. Bill Pascrell (D-9th) and Rep. Rob Menendez (D-8th) sent a letter to the Metropolitan Transportation Authority’s Traffic Mobility Review Board last week urging the agency to couple congestion pricing with the extension of the 7 train line to Secaucus via a new subway tunnel under the Hudson River. Such an extension — which would be the first MTA line to cross state borders — would allow commuters transferring from New Jersey Transit trains to directly access Grand Central Station and points in Queens

more:
https://www.njspotlightnews.org/vide...to-new-jersey/

Old Posted Oct 6, 2023, 3:35 AM
Volatile Pacivist

^ Sounds like a good idea but isn't the main reason that PATH is a separate system is that it can cross state lines due to be classified as a railroad while the subway can't?

Old Posted Oct 6, 2023, 5:12 AM
Show me the blueprints

I don't know about classification technicalities, that's probably not an issue if politics wanted to achieve a transit goal. My issue is that an L-Canarsie line extension to Secaucus is a better concept than a 7-Flushing line under the Hudson. Another obvious trans-Hudson subway extension would be to send the 125 St leg of the SAS under the river to Fort Lee. MTA should engineer into a 125 St crosstown leg a bare bones minimum provision to have that remain a possibility in the future. Most other world operators would be thinking about that and I don't think it's too much to ask the MTA to do the same.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2023, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
^ Sounds like a good idea but isn't the main reason that PATH is a separate system is that it can cross state lines due to be classified as a railroad while the subway can't?
The reason why PATH is a separate system is because it is financed by a different agency, not MTA. Same for the JFK airtrain, which does not cross any state lines.
NYC metro area is very fragmented and municipalities and agencies just do their own thing with little coordination. Thats how we get separate turnstiles going from airport train to the subway, PATH being a separate system, or commuter trains that are not through-running, but terminate in Manhattan (which is very expensive).

Old Posted Oct 7, 2023, 2:59 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Old Posted Oct 7, 2023, 3:03 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
I don't know about classification technicalities, that's probably not an issue if politics wanted to achieve a transit goal. My issue is that an L-Canarsie line extension to Secaucus is a better concept than a 7-Flushing line under the Hudson. Another obvious trans-Hudson subway extension would be to send the 125 St leg of the SAS under the river to Fort Lee. MTA should engineer into a 125 St crosstown leg a bare bones minimum provision to have that remain a possibility in the future. Most other world operators would be thinking about that and I don't think it's too much to ask the MTA to do the same.
agree of course, but the fact is any and all three of these extensions to nj are good ideas. it seems like at least one would be an obvious gimmee to actually do, but nobody coordinates this across agencies, cities and states. maybe this time its different with some backing for a 7 train extension??? we’ll see if it goes anywhere.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2023, 4:32 AM

I think it would be better to add more PATH routes instead of extending the Subway to New Jersey ...

Have the 7 Train and L Train meet up at Penn Station South with a PATH line ...

Also possibly convert some of the Port Authority Bus Terminal tunnels into PATH trains too.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2023, 5:35 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Gateway Tunnel Project begins construction, linking New York City and New Jersey

Quote:
It has been talked about for decades and the shovels are finally ready.

The first phase of the Gateway Tunnel project begins next week on the New York and New Jersey side.

Two new tracks will be built during a later phase of the work under the riverbed. It will double the current capacity.

Behind the fence between 11th and 12th Avenues at West 30th Street, the transformation is about to begin above ground and 40 feet below.

The Gateway Development Commission installed a decorative mesh around the fence at the construction staging site. It features artwork by Marisa Jahn.

Riders are anxious to see the work and the benefits of the transit resiliency project.

It will cost more than $16 billion and is scheduled to take a decade. In September, the contracts were approved.

“Over the past year, a lot of the things that kept me up at night have been worked through,” said Alicia Glen, the co-chair of the Gateway Development Commission.

The first section of work in New York is under the High Line. On the New Jersey side, it starts along Tonnelle Avenue. The street will be reconfigured to go over the entrance of the new tunnels. Utilities will also be relocated.

Concrete casings are built first. It is a big box that connects to the actual tunnels.

The current structure is more than 110 years old.

In July, the federal government came through with a $6.88 billion grant.

Both states have also contributed and partnered with Amtrak.

Boring machines will plow through the muck to create structures for two tracks. That is a later phase of the work.

The Portal Bridge in Kearny, New Jersey, is also being rebuilt.
=======================
https://pix11-com.cdn.ampproject.org...d-new-jersy%2F

Old Posted Oct 9, 2023, 7:45 PM
Greetings from New Jersey

Quote:
The C train should go across the GWB Lower Level which was designed for it...the tracks touch 95 already. After Fort Lee i'd extend it to Englewood and connect with the proposed Northern Branch LRT and Route 4 BRT.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2023, 10:44 PM
Show me the blueprints

IND history is a bit wisht-washy about this. Nowhere have I read that there was ever a real plan for subway extension across the GWB, only that the lower deck's engineering could in theory accommodate one. The fact that the 174 St yard tracks appear to provide for this possibility is just that: the city covering the bases in case this connection was ever seriously contemplated. The fact that Second System documents don't propose a Hudson crossing leads me to believe it was never seriously contemplated. I don't think an 8th Av subway connection would be ideal anyway for reasons I won't get into here.

More than a subway across the GWB, I'd much rather see an inner orbital regional rail metro that creates the circle: Newark > JC > Fort Lee > Bronx > Queens > Brooklyn > SI > Newark.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2023, 7:54 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
IND history is a bit wisht-washy about this. Nowhere have I read that there was ever a real plan for subway extension across the GWB, only that the lower deck's engineering could in theory accommodate one. The fact that the 174 St yard tracks appear to provide for this possibility is just that: the city covering the bases in case this connection was ever seriously contemplated. The fact that Second System documents don't propose a Hudson crossing leads me to believe it was never seriously contemplated. I don't think an 8th Av subway connection would be ideal anyway for reasons I won't get into here.

More than a subway across the GWB, I'd much rather see an inner orbital regional rail metro that creates the circle: Newark > JC > Fort Lee > Bronx > Queens > Brooklyn > SI > Newark.
yes, but i would take a loop service any way we can get it even if less than ideal.

ie., a restoration of the north shore staten island line service over to the bayonne light rail station seems like a doable gimmee, albeit with an expensive rail bridge needed, but unfortunately mta is determined to resurrect the old north shore rail as a local staten brt line:

https://new.mta.info/system_modernization/northshorebrt

^ given that, i would prefer a bridge to bridge trolley (verrazano bridge/bayonne bridge) along bay street/richmond terrace as its more in line with north shore redevelopment plans, but whatever.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2023, 2:12 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

New Jersey Wants a Nearly $11B Turnpike Widening From Newark to Jersey City

Quote:
The New Jersey Turnpike Authority (NJTA) wants to proceed with part of a massive and controversial highway widening project in Hudson County that it said will reduce congestion, improve safety and support growth expected in the region.

"The extension provides needed access to local communities, the ports and marine terminals, and Newark [Liberty International] Airport, as well as services, recreation and entertainment in Bayonne, Jersey City and Newark," Lisa Navarro, NJTA's supervising engineer on the project, said Oct. 11.

She was among the experts who spoke to reporters during a briefing to discuss the project's 274-page draft environmental report and hundreds of related documents, exhibits and appendices, according to NorthJersey.com.

The proposal has been a flashpoint for environmentalists and some local officials who are fervently against the project, arguing it will increase pollution and congestion and that money could be better used to improve public transportation in the area.

Proposal Would Be Agency's Largest Project Ever

The proposed work would take place on an 8.1-mi. portion of the Turnpike between Newark, Jersey City and Bayonne to expand certain parts of the elevated highway and replace 29 bridges at an estimated cost of $10.7 billion, paid for through bonds paid back by tolls.

This would be the biggest project NJTA has ever taken on, NorthJersey.com reported, and more than double original estimates of about $4.7 billion, a drastic increase that officials have blamed on inflation, the cost of borrowing and the use of an old cost estimator.

"The Turnpike Authority has the right priority and is moving quickly on the most important part of this project," said Greg Lalevee, business manager of the International Union of Operating Engineers Local 825. "Replacing these decrepit bridges that are a vital freight and commuter lifeline has always been the first step of the expansion."

However, John Reichman, with the nonprofit EmpowerNJ, is opposed to the project, and called on NJTA officials to consider alternatives, like rehabilitating the existing structure and putting the money toward public transportation projects, such as extending the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail line into Bergen County.

"The findings fly in the face of their own internal documents that show the bridge can be safely maintained and have an additional 40-year lifespan for approximately 1/30th of the cost of replacing," Reichman said, referencing a 2020 report published by Jacobs Engineering, which found rehabilitating the bridge would cost around $260 million.
======================
https://www.constructionequipmentgui...sey-city/62802

Old Posted Oct 15, 2023, 4:19 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

first time dancing on the new train cars —

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CxeE-...RlODBiNWFlZA==

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation