HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Jul 29, 2008, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchester united View Post
And now also the 3 line has a 24/7 service from 148th Harlem to Times Square !!!!

I saw your name...

GUNNERS FOREVER!!!!!

Old Posted Jul 30, 2008, 12:42 AM
The Time To Build Is Now

NY1

L Train Gets The Best Marks In Annual Straphanger Report

July 29, 2008

The L train got top marks while the W train was rated the worst in the Straphangers Campaign's annual report, released Tuesday.

While the L was rated the third most crowded line at rush hour by the New York Public Interest Group's transit advocacy group, it won high marks on every other performance measure, ranking close to the top in car cleanliness, and scoring the best of any line in clear announcements and trains arriving on schedule.

Most riders on the L train agreed that the cars were clean and the service dependable.

"It's a pretty good train," said one rider. "It's reliable, and it comes frequently, and it's clean."

"It is very clean," agreed another.

"It's very clean. It's always on time," said a third. "If there is a delay, they let you know in advance. Yeah, in my opinion it's the best."

Riders also said they liked the next-train arrival information.

"I wish every subway line would have it," said a passenger. "Sometimes when I'm waiting, I don't know if I'm waiting one minute, or a half hour. Should I take a cab? Should I take the bus? The L train is the only train that tells you when the next train is coming."

Rounding out the top five are the Number 7 train, the Q train, and, in a tie for fourth place, the Number 1 train and the Number 6 line.

Late last year, the L train and the 7 became the first lines in the system to undergo a management restructuring. Transit officials put a general manager in charge of each line, with the authority and the independence to cut through bureaucratic red tape and fix problems as they see fit.

So far, the Straphangers Campaign says the program seems to be working.

"Having an actual human being in charge whose name you know, and who's accountable, and has more authority for improving the quality of service makes a lot of sense," said Gene Russianoff of the Straphangers Campaign.

As for the worst train, that would be the W, just edging out the M train.

"I live at the end of the W line, and it does seem to take a while to come and go," said a rider.

In fact, the W has the most infrequent service in the system, running trains ten minutes apart – even at rush hour.

As for the system overall, the report finds a drop in some levels of performance. For instance, subway cars are breaking down more frequently, and the percentage of clear announcements was also down, all of which is not encouraging news at a time when fares are headed up.

- Bobby Cuza

Meanwhile, Brooklyn Assemblyman Dov Hikind expressed Tuesday his discontent over the condition of subway stations and the city's transit agency.

Hikind announced in Borough Park that his office surveyed nearly 100 subway stations and found dangerous conditions in more than half of them.

He claims a 14-year-old fell off the platform after the rotted wooden board gave way, another teen had his shoe slip between the train and the platform and a woman in her car was hit by a piece of rail track that fell from an elevated train.

Hikind says the MTA is at fault, and riders should get their two dollars’ worth before another proposed fare hike is put into place.

"Who the hell is in charge, who is responsible, how can this go on even for another day?” said Hikind. “This has nothing to do with budget situations. This is about plywood, hammers, nails, carpenters."

MTA officials say they take the safety of their customers seriously and are committed to addressing all poor conditions by December.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2008, 7:39 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

NY1

Glitch With Baggage System Causes Delays At JFK

July 30, 2008

Flights have been delayed at John F. Kennedy Airport as a result of a glitch in a baggage checking system.

American Airlines is having problems with a conveyor belt, forcing workers to sort bags manually.

More than two dozen flights have been delayed by at least an hour.

The airline is working to fix the problem.

In the meantime, passengers are being alerted that their luggage may not make it aboard their plane. They are being given the option of taking off anyway and getting their bags delivered to them later, or waiting until they can get a flight with their bags.

Last edited by NYC4Life; Jul 30, 2008 at 9:15 PM.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2008, 9:14 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

NY1

MTA Looking To Get Rid Of All Toll Booths For Bridges, Tunnels

July 30, 2008

MTA is looking to get rid of toll booths, but not tolls, on its bridges and tunnels.

The agency has issued a request for proposals to create a system that would collect the money from vehicles with E-ZPass, and use license plate cameras to collect from others.

The Port Authority is looking to do the same thing for its bridges and tunnels.

It is hoping to get rid of all toll booths in the next four years.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 1:10 AM

just curious... but why? ^^
lol

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 6:51 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

NY1

Baggage System Fixed At JFK; Operations Return To Normal

July 31, 2008

Employees with American Airlines say the baggage system is up and running at John F. Kennedy Airport, but the airline is still working to reunite travelers with their bags – following yesterday's software glitch that caused major delays.

The computer problem appears to be fixed and operations are returning to normal.

American was forced to cancel five flights for today.

Passengers who arrived for flights this morning said they got to the airport early today after hearing about yesterday's problems.

"We just left a half-hour earlier than planned and so far, so good," said one passenger.

"As far as today goes, it was excellent. We went right through," said another. "The guy who took the bags was very, very nice. I'm very happy with American Airlines today."

American says the problem was caused by a software failure in the computer that reads the bar code on each piece of tagged luggage and then sends it on a conveyor belt to the proper gate.
The problem caused 48 flights to be delayed.

American gave passengers the choice of waiting out the problem, traveling from another airport, or flying on and having the bags delivered later. In light of the problem, the airline waived its $15 fee for the first checked bag on domestic flights.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 1:26 AM
The Time To Build Is Now

NY1

Transit Officials Pinpoint Source Of MetroCard Machine Glitch

July 31, 2008

Transit officials said Thursday that they have pinpointed the source of the problem that caused thousands of subway riders to be overcharged on their debit and credit cards earlier this week.

MetroCard vending machines throughout the system malfunctioned on Monday and Tuesday, resulting in thousands of riders having their debit or credit cards charged for cards they did not receive.

Transit officials finally had some answers Thursday, saying the problem had been traced to the failure of an encrypter in their data center. The encrypter, one of two used in the system, is responsible for processing electronic data before it's sent for authorization. The failure meant that the MetroCard machine would time out and show customers an error message, even though their cards had been charged.

The problem persisted through three consecutive rush hours, however, because the encrypter appeared to be working.

"I'm not happy with the fact that it took three rush hours to discover that and fix it," said NYC Transit President Howard Roberts. "Everybody will get a refund."

Roberts said the problem has been resolved and stressed that every penny will be credited back to riders' accounts within seven to 10 business days. He added that the machines are due for replacement.

For some, the explanation and the refund are too little too late. NY1 has heard from more than one rider who said the false charges from the MTA resulted in bounced checks and overdraft charges from the bank.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 3:33 AM
The Time To Build Is Now

NY1

Transit Officials To Ease Congestion At S.I. Expressway

July 31, 2008

The State Department of Transportation announced Thursday new plans to improve a two-mile stretch of one of the city's busiest highways -- the Staten Island Expressway. NY1’s Joe Malvasio filed the following report.

It's not uncommon to ride your brakes for the entire stretch of Staten Island Expressway.

“The highway is the worst when people are going to work in the morning, or coming home in the evening,” said a commuter.

To help ease congestion, State Department of Transportation officials announced Thursday major comprehensive changes to the busiest stretch of the expressway, from Sunnyside to the Verrazano Bridge.

“We'll reconfigure entrance and exit ramps in both eastbound and westbound directions,” said DOT Deputy Commissioner Stan Gee.

Drivers can expect big changes to their daily routines, including six new ramps intended to speed up the commute, improve traffic flow and help get buses on and off the expressway. Two entrances would be completely removed and related to areas DOT officials say could better handle the traffic.

The agency said the new interchanges would be in locations with better merges and longer roadways to help drivers get on and off the highway.

Other changes include improvements to the ramps at Clove Road and new barriers to help keep cars bound for the expressway from using local roads as short cuts.

“This is great news,” said Republican Mid-Island Councilman James Oddo. “The Staten Island Expressway is the key thoroughfare on Staten Island and every improvement they make on the Staten Island Expressway has an associated positive impact on our community.”

DOT said the project will cost $50 million and take two years to complete.

While the construction will cause short term headaches for drivers, Democratic North Shore Councilman and congressional candidate Michael McMahon says the changes will improve Staten Island commutes in the long run.

“I think it will be worth it, when it is all said and done, the project is finished,” said McMahon. “People’s lives on Staten Island will be much better.”

Construction is slated to start in spring 2010.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philvia View Post
just curious... but why? ^^
lol
You dont have to pay for collectors and cars dont slow down.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2008, 3:19 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

NY1

Some New Subway Cars Will Lack Rush Hour Seats

August 02, 2008

New York City Transit officials are planning a pilot program featuring subway trains with flip-up seats in four of the 10 cars.

The flip-up seats will be locked in the upright position during rush hour and unlocked afterwards.

Officials are hoping to fit as many as 18 percent more people inside those cars.

As of Saturday, it was not known which subway lines will be a part of the test run.

The program is expected to roll out in five to seven months.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2008, 3:21 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

NY1

MTA Lacks Funds To Improve City's Subway Stations

August 03, 2008

The top official at New York City Transit said he is aware of the decrepit state of many subway stations, but lacks the funds to fix them.

NYC Transit President Howard Roberts told the New York Post that less than 25 percent of stations are in acceptable condition.

Mounting costs and projected budget deficits will likely prevent the agency from bringing the substandard stations up to shape.

The agency is pushing for two fare hikes over the next three years, but Roberts tells the Post the money can only maintain current conditions.

State Assemblyman Dov Hikind released a study last week that brought attention to dangerous conditions at dozens of stations.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2008, 6:15 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

NY1

Study Shows Most Subways Are Consistently Cool

August 04, 2008

New York City Transit released a report today showing that 97.3 percent of all subway cars met its air conditioning standards in June and July.

That number would be even better were it not for the E train, where only 83 percent of the cars were 78 degrees or cooler.

When transit officials tested 120 cars on the E line, they found the temperature in seven of them hit 88 degrees or higher.

The E cars were built in 1964 and 1965, making them the oldest ones in the system and the toughest to keep working at peak performance.

New York City Transit President Howard Roberts told the Daily News that he's made air conditioning a top priority. He says he's boosted the frequency of temperature readings in cars and is giving trophies to superintendents who keep their cars cool.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2008, 6:16 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

NY1

Port Authority To Block Flights Acquired By Federal Auction

August 04, 2008

The Port Authority said today that it will fight the federal government's plan to try and tackle the nation's flight delays.

The Bush administration is planning an experimental auction of takeoff and landing slots. However, PA officials say they will block any flights at John F. Kennedy, Newark Liberty International, and LaGuardia, that are the result of those auctions.

The Port Authority is against the plan because it says it will lead to a 12-percent increase on ticket prices.

The White House says delays from New York's airports have a cascade effect, causing spillover delays all across the country.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2008, 1:39 AM
Ω

^That 'article' left me very confused. What exactly is the auction thing?

Old Posted Aug 6, 2008, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
^That 'article' left me very confused. What exactly is the auction thing?
I think what they mean (and correct me if I'm wrong, anyone else) is that airlines must bid for the opportunity to, say, arrive at Terminal 4 at 9 AM. I guess the PA is suddenly concerned about the sudden ballooning side charges that are becoming part of flying these days.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2008, 5:16 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

NY1

New Campaign Encourages Straphangers To Report Gropers

August 06, 2008

NYC Transit is launching an anti-groping campaign next month.

The agency is set to flood the system with some 2,000 posters next month, warning potential gropers that a crowded train is no excuse for improper touching. The posters also encourage anyone who is groped to tell MTA workers or the police.

The move comes after a survey last year by Manhattan Borough President Scott Stringer found 63 percent of women riders polled said they had been sexually harassed.

Some riders NY1 spoke with said groping is a problem.

"When the train is really crowded, they do try to get too close to you and to touch you," said one subway rider.

"I think it's a terrible thing," said another. "You're just trying to get to work and trying to get home and there's nothing that should happen between those two things; that's inappropriate."

"If I was groped on the subway and I saw the sign with the number, yes I would like to report it," said a third. "However, what would I tell them? Who would I describe? At what time will they be able to contact this person? It's hard to follow up with something like that."

The NYPD says police have arrested 119 people this year for sexual abuse or lewdness on the subways.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2008, 7:04 PM
Show me the blueprints

I thought I was groped one time, but it was just a seeing eye dog smelling my butt.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Aug 7, 2008, 9:55 AM
The Time To Build Is Now

NY1

Group Says Some City Subway Stations Have Been Long Neglected

August 06, 2008

After surveying more than 50 stations over the last month, the New York City Transit Riders Council said Wednesday that their findings show some of the city's subway stations have been neglected for decades.

The group says water damage, lack of proper signage, and peeling paint are among some rider complaints.

"Unfortunately, many of the places we went are in varying degrees of disrepair, decay, and decadence," said NYC Transit Riders Council chair Andrew Albert. "I do not want to put this on this one administration. For these stations to have reached the conditions that they are in took decades of neglect."

New York City Transit says lack of funding has made keeping up repairs difficult, but it is now taking steps to improve conditions.

It has proposed including $71 million in their Capital Plan to address problem areas incrementally.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2008, 3:28 PM
The City

It's hot down here!

Why is it that trains are most delayed in the summer for some reason? This especially when waiting at the subway station is so much more uncomfortable this time of year. I may actually need to start bringing a hand towel with me to wipe off the neverending sweat dripping down my brow as I wait and wait and wait.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Aug 11, 2008, 6:30 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

NY1

MTA Unveils "Sleep Mode" Escalators

August 11, 2008

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority has unveiled a new escalator technology that will go into effect today.

The escalators are equipped with sensors, telling escalators to slow down to a crawl when no one is using them, and to speed up when a rider approaches.

The technology, which uses infrared motion sensors, aims to save on energy costs. The MTA estimates that it will save $2,000 a year.

However, some riders who spoke with NY1 said they were hesitant about the success of the new escalators.

"The escalators don't always work, so I don't know what use [the new technology] will be," said one subway rider.

"It's much better than them not working at all!" said another. "If in fact it goes really slow when I'm not on it and actually works when I'm on it, so much the better."

Transit officials also say the new machines will need less maintenance.

"The system that we just put in is going to put less wear and tear on the escalators, which is a crucial issue because we're going to a slower mode when you don't have that demand," said MTA Executive Director and Chief Executive Officer Elliot "Lee" Sander.

Four stations are taking part in the pilot program. The escalators can be found at the Herald Square station, the Roosevelt Island station, the Jamaica Van Wyck station, and the Jamaica Center Parsons Archer Station.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation