HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #4741  
Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 5:59 PM
mcgrath618's Avatar
mcgrath618 mcgrath618 is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Powelton Village, Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 3,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
If the one in Center City is 21st and Ludlow parking lot, then I heard the same rumor. Is it that one?

Hmmm.. haven't heard the Temple one, but I would guess it's the block at Broad and Oxford??? Temple has been trying to develop this block since I was a Temple student LOL.
Aw man, I was hoping that the game could keep going

Yes, it's 21st and Ludlow. Not a rumor.

Re: Temple, it is currently a fully occupied parcel with a rather recent construction on it.
__________________
Philadelphia Transportation Thread: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=164129
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4742  
Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 6:01 PM
TempleGuy1000 TempleGuy1000 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 778
My most desired random parking lot to see go is 13th and Market or the PECO lot. Either of those I would be pumped to see disappear.

Around Temple, maybe the Broad and Jefferson tower is back a live were the odd shaped church is now.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4743  
Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 6:07 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 16,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Aw man, I was hoping that the game could keep going

Yes, it's 21st and Ludlow. Not a rumor.

Re: Temple, it is currently a fully occupied parcel with a rather recent construction on it.
Haha woop! Happy this lot is biting the dust finally.

Soooo that literally leaves the PECO lot and the Mandeville place lot with no active plans in the stretch between 21st Street, the Schuylkill, Walnut Street and JFK Blvd... that's amazing!

RE Temple... I have no clue then LOL
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4744  
Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 6:09 PM
TempleGuy1000 TempleGuy1000 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Yes, it's 21st and Ludlow. Not a rumor.
Nice!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4745  
Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 6:29 PM
blorkishdork blorkishdork is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Passyunk Square
Posts: 376
For the Temple lot, is it the SW corner of Broad and Cecil B Moore? where the movie theater etc are?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4746  
Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 6:33 PM
mcgrath618's Avatar
mcgrath618 mcgrath618 is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Powelton Village, Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 3,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by blorkishdork View Post
For the Temple lot, is it the SW corner of Broad and Cecil B Moore? where the movie theater etc are?
Yep.
__________________
Philadelphia Transportation Thread: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=164129
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4747  
Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 6:42 PM
skyhigh07 skyhigh07 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 577
This is great news! There’s some nice old townhouses and brownstones across the street that always seemed sad having to look at that massive parking lot. Hopefully, this will give some life to that block.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4748  
Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 7:39 PM
PhilliesPhan's Avatar
PhilliesPhan PhilliesPhan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Yep.
It's been a while since I've been a Temple student, but my first three guesses were the church at Broad and Jefferson, the creepy Sunoco at Broad and Thompson, or the former Checkers (where I spent many nights grabbing post-party food haha) near Broad and Girard! With the loss of so many Rite Aid locations recently, I was also about to throw the SE corner of Broad and Susquehanna in there.

I'm glad to hear that another tower will be coming to the area, but I also wish it would happen on the NW corner instead of the SW corner. I used to think about how prime 1700 North Broad was while I was a student. It's too short and stubby to be on North Broad, and it's one of the ugliest buildings left on campus. Regardless, I love to see more density coming to Cecil B. Moore! I hate to admit it, but it's a slightly disappointing retail strip given the size of my alma mater's residential population.
__________________
No one outsmarts a Fox!

Temple University '18 ']['
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4749  
Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 7:40 PM
PurpleWhiteOut PurpleWhiteOut is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Yep.
This was going to be my guess as well especially since theyve been having issues with violence and QoL issues here for a long time. My guess is their thought is to disrupt the amount of loitering by building to the lot line. Hopefully there will still be retail spaces though.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4750  
Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 8:09 PM
iheartphilly's Avatar
iheartphilly iheartphilly is offline
Philly Rising Up!
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: motherEarth
Posts: 3,099
Just found out Union League is getting a rooftop restaurant built on top of its building. I didn't see it get posted here:

https://www.phila.gov/media/20211209...supplement.pdf

Doubt it will be open to the public since its a members only club.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4751  
Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 8:14 PM
Gatorade_Jim's Avatar
Gatorade_Jim Gatorade_Jim is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: Center City, Philadelphia
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
Just found out Union League is getting a rooftop restaurant built on top of its building. I didn't see it get posted here:

https://www.phila.gov/media/20211209...supplement.pdf

Doubt it will be open to the public since its a members only club.
I saw this in the CCRA zoning meeting awhile back. Not open to the public unfortunately.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4752  
Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 8:23 PM
PHLtoNYC PHLtoNYC is offline
Chris
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: New York city
Posts: 1,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post

I think you guys are getting hung up on the flashy/pretentious folks. Not everyone that shops at Burberry or Gucci is obsessed with Instagram. I’m not saying that Walnut can or should be the next Rodeo Drive but as others have said the demand is likely there and these stores would add to the visual appeal of the streetscape.
Beat me to it. Some posters are making odd assumptions that those who enjoy shopping or expensive clothes are pretentious or wannabes.
And per my experience with KoP, it reminds me of Tysons, the main suburban shopping destination surrounded by millions of people and many wealthy communities, which naturally adds up to people buying expensive clothes and accessories.

Anyways, we beat a dead horse again, but sounds like we are on the same page, let's hope for more retail momentum in CC.

I also love fashion and shopping, but no loud logos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
KOP vs. Center City Retail...

Guys, it's really not a matter of either or. Philadelphia and it's surrounding metropolitan region is ABSOLUTELY large enough to have two luxury retail centers. We should have a luxury mall in the suburbs and luxury retail downtown.... every major metropolitan area in the United States has this and can support this.

If it wasn't for King of Prussia, most of these retailers would have NO presence at all in the Philadelphia region at the moment. We should be happy that we do have King of Prussia honestly. Look at stores like Fendi, Bottega Veneta, Jimmy Choo, Van Cleef & Arpels, Christian Louboutin, Hermes, Dolce & Gabbana.... these luxury retailers have VERY FEW stores across the United States. The fact that the Philadelphia region has them is a huge plus for the area and the fact that King of Prussia Mall has them is a huge sign of the mall's desirability amongst luxury retailers.

We should not be rooting for Center City retail success at the expense of King of Prussia. We should be rooting for both Center City retail success and King of Prussia retail success. I think then we will truly have a very strong region when it comes to retail. Plus, I don't think the retailers I listed above will come to Center City ANYTIME SOON at all. We need to first lower crime and clean up the city and then create a luxury retail corridor to attract the likes of Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Shinola, Burberry, Cole Haan, Stuart Weitzman, Tory Burch, Longchamp, etc. etc.... only once we attract those luxury retailers to a luxury retail corridor can we start to think bigger.

I think Skyhigh's idea of a luxury retail corridor from 19th to 21st Street along Walnut Street is a brilliant idea.
Great post, per usual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade_Jim View Post
I saw this in the CCRA zoning meeting awhile back. Not open to the public unfortunately.
The one in NYC is undergoing a renovation and there is a rooftop element now too.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4753  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 1:09 AM
PHLtoNYC PHLtoNYC is offline
Chris
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: New York city
Posts: 1,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Love it! Also love the drawings, the comparisons to Barclays Center and TD Garden and this other little tidbit:

Article:
https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20220808.html
I just noticed this line from the article. Seeing the South side of Market redeveloped (hopefully sooner) would be awesome.

The Sixers expect to partner with the owners of the Fashion District to improve the mall and develop the south side of Market Street, Adelman said. Filbert Street would be turned into a covered arcade lined with amenities.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4754  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 2:10 AM
allovertown allovertown is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
KOP is a mistake in the same way that the rest of car-centric America was a mistake. Disregarding it as a "product of the times" is far to convenient.

KOP is a mistake and shouldn't exist. KOP Rail is a mistake and shouldn't be built.
Agree completely on all points. If KOP wants to turn itself into some sort of walkable transit oriented satellite city, absolutely I wish them the best. But there is absolutely no reason why the region should fund a transit line at this time when they're likely a half a century or more away from fully using to its potential. How about they develop into something worth multi-billion dollar transit line before we just give them one.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4755  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 12:26 PM
Justin7 Justin7 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
The Backbay is way more exclusive and expensive than Rittenhouse. They also get a lot more international visitors.
I definitely would not call Back Bay exclusive. Take a train up and walk down Newbury some time. People here seem to have the wrong idea about what makes it special.

But yeah, you'll be dodging tourists.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4756  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 12:58 PM
TempleGuy1000 TempleGuy1000 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
I definitely would not call Back Bay exclusive. Take a train up and walk down Newbury some time. People here seem to have the wrong idea about what makes it special.

But yeah, you'll be dodging tourists.
Hmm.. Idk guys. I understand the notion that walking around the Back Bay and Rittenhouse might not be all that different in vibes, BUT it's a fact that the average 1 bedroom apartment rent in the Back Bay is $3225. That locks most people out and is certainly 'exclusive' (I didn't mean like actually exclusive like behind a wall, just that costs of entry are high for living). Rittenhouse an affordable $1850. That's $1,375 a month difference, or 75% more expensive. I can't help but feel retailers look at numbers like that and proceed differently. For comparisons sake, the average 1-br costs $1,981 in King of Prussia. More expensive than Rittenhouse!

https://www.zumper.com/rent-research/boston-ma/back-bay

https://www.zumper.com/rent-research...enhouse-square

https://www.zumper.com/rent-research/king-of-prussia-pa

You have to be a world-class sucker to be paying $2000 a month to live in KOP and that's the average

Last edited by TempleGuy1000; Aug 9, 2022 at 1:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4757  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 3:12 PM
EastSideHBG's Avatar
EastSideHBG EastSideHBG is online now
Me?!?
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Philadelphia Metro
Posts: 10,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
You have to be a world-class sucker to be paying $2000 a month to live in KOP and that's the average
Or it's pretty convenient and if you work in KOP or close to it you may actually be saving time and money. Plus there is no local income tax.

A few of you seem to be really hung up on just aesthetics vs actual form and function and every day life. Like it or not for some people the KOP Town Center is a more urban experience than if they lived in the city because they walk to get their groceries, they walk to their jobs (CHOP), etc.
__________________
Right before your eyes you're victimized, guys, that's the world of today, and it ain't civilized...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4758  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 3:28 PM
mcgrath618's Avatar
mcgrath618 mcgrath618 is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Powelton Village, Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 3,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
Or it's pretty convenient and if you work in KOP or close to it you may actually be saving time and money. Plus there is no local income tax.

A few of you seem to be really hung up on just aesthetics vs actual form and function and every day life. Like it or not for some people the KOP Town Center is a more urban experience than if they lived in the city because they walk to get their groceries, they walk to their jobs (CHOP), etc.
I worked 500 feet from KOP Town Centre in 2019. I could not walk between my job and the Town Centre.
__________________
Philadelphia Transportation Thread: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=164129
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4759  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 3:49 PM
EastSideHBG's Avatar
EastSideHBG EastSideHBG is online now
Me?!?
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Philadelphia Metro
Posts: 10,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
I worked 500 feet from KOP Town Centre in 2019. I could not walk between my job and the Town Centre.
But many people who live there can now, though.
__________________
Right before your eyes you're victimized, guys, that's the world of today, and it ain't civilized...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4760  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 4:01 PM
McBane McBane is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 3,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
Hmm.. Idk guys. I understand the notion that walking around the Back Bay and Rittenhouse might not be all that different in vibes, BUT it's a fact that the average 1 bedroom apartment rent in the Back Bay is $3225. That locks most people out and is certainly 'exclusive' (I didn't mean like actually exclusive like behind a wall, just that costs of entry are high for living). Rittenhouse an affordable $1850. That's $1,375 a month difference, or 75% more expensive. I can't help but feel retailers look at numbers like that and proceed differently. For comparisons sake, the average 1-br costs $1,981 in King of Prussia. More expensive than Rittenhouse!

https://www.zumper.com/rent-research/boston-ma/back-bay

https://www.zumper.com/rent-research...enhouse-square

https://www.zumper.com/rent-research/king-of-prussia-pa

You have to be a world-class sucker to be paying $2000 a month to live in KOP and that's the average
That's because Boston in general is more expensive. Higher wages, higher taxes, higher home prices, higher cost of goods, higher everything. It's not really an apples-to-apples comparison. If you're relocating to Philly from Boston or NYC or DC, SF, Seattle, etc. then yes, under those circumstances, Philly/Rittenhouse is a bargain.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:25 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.