HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Marriott Marquis McCormick Place in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 9:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielschell View Post
Pres Towers
They're not south of 13th street.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jan 20, 2017 at 3:04 PM.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 9:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freefall View Post
They're not south of 13th street.
I'm pretty sure he's referring to where the shot was taken, not that the Presidential Towers are south of 13th Street.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jan 20, 2017 at 3:04 PM.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 2:34 PM
Chicago picture-taker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PansitPinoy View Post
I'm pretty sure he's referring to where the shot was taken, not that the Presidential Towers are south of 13th Street.
The question about "tallest south of 13th Street" was in reference to the Marriott Marquis. Then a separate question as to where the photo was taken.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 9:25 PM

jumped on the webcam for this project today and noticed there's some heavy equipment on the site for the data center. I'm wondering if that's site prep anyone know when the data center is supposed to start construction?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
jumped on the webcam for this project today and noticed there's some heavy equipment on the site for the data center. I'm wondering if that's site prep anyone know when the data center is supposed to start construction?
The hotel construction crew had been using the data center site for staging since more or less the beginning of construction. But a month or so ago, it was cleaned out and leveled. This new equipment has definitely been doing things on the data center site. Who knows whether it is site prep or just more hotel-related work.

There was a post in Crains a few months ago that the site owner signed on with an experienced data center developer (the owners next door) who said that as soon as they lined up enough business they would start construction.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 4:23 AM
Chicago picture-taker

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_b View Post
The hotel construction crew had been using the data center site for staging since more or less the beginning of construction. But a month or so ago, it was cleaned out and leveled. This new equipment has definitely been doing things on the data center site. Who knows whether it is site prep or just more hotel-related work.

There was a post in Crains a few months ago that the site owner signed on with an experienced data center developer (the owners next door) who said that as soon as they lined up enough business they would start construction.
I was down there today, talked to someone from McHugh, who told me there is nothing happening with the data center. Everything being done now is related to hotel construction.

Twitter: @buildupchicago

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 11:20 PM

Feb 20

The digging had been by the side of the hotel, bunch of old foundation stuff pulled up and the hole sealed up again - utilities ?

the guys who are said to have bought the lot.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 4:13 PM

Based on today's webcam, it looks like the hotel structure is completely topped out. (At least the concrete frame.)

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvfr800i View Post
Based on today's webcam, it looks like the hotel structure is completely topped out. (At least the concrete frame.)
That is correct. They held their topping out ceremony last week.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2017, 4:43 PM

Does anyone know if the top floor area (facing south) will hold the restaurant/bar? Seems strange not to have it facing city if so. That room space has to have a 25-30 ft ceiling based on extrapolation from lower level floor heights. Thats a massive ceiling.

https://app.oxblue.com/open/clarkcon...mccormickplace

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelMonkey View Post
Does anyone know if the top floor area (facing south) will hold the restaurant/bar? Seems strange not to have it facing city if so. That room space has to have a 25-30 ft ceiling based on extrapolation from lower level floor heights. Thats a massive ceiling.

I believe that the restaurant/bar will be on the top floor of the east wing (the shorter of the 3 wings). This part of the building was built with steel instead of concrete and has a large north-facing opening that seems to indicate that it will be open-air during the summer.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 4:20 PM
you know where I'll be

^ Oh, that's what that opening is for.....I've been wondering....that should offer a spectacular backdrop for whatever the establishment is that Marriott is opening there.......great idea....

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 1:58 AM

Apr 1

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 1:28 PM

Yesterday it was announced that the arena will be a regional site host for the 2019 NCAA Women's basketball tournament. That would be 4 teams, some player's families, and the team fans all needing hotel rooms.

The same week, the NCAA Men's basketball games will be held at the United Center, with those 4 teams, fans and families also needing hotel rooms.

That's a pretty good indication that this project is complementary to the existing facilities in Chicago and may even have been a good investment by the city.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_b View Post
Yesterday it was announced that the arena will be a regional site host for the 2019 NCAA Women's basketball tournament. That would be 4 teams, some player's families, and the team fans all needing hotel rooms.

The same week, the NCAA Men's basketball games will be held at the United Center, with those 4 teams, fans and families also needing hotel rooms.

That's a pretty good indication that this project is complementary to the existing facilities in Chicago and may even have been a good investment by the city.
From what I read, I believe the men's tournament will be hosted at the United Center in 2022, not 2019.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 3:44 AM

I can't help but think that this venue will play host to a lot of concerts. Visiting performers will appreciate the adjacent hotel in the same way as the Nokia (now Microsoft) in LA. On a long tour that kind of convenience is highly coveted.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 6:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolchak View Post
I can't help but think that this venue will play host to a lot of concerts. Visiting performers will appreciate the adjacent hotel in the same way as the Nokia (now Microsoft) in LA. On a long tour that kind of convenience is highly coveted.
And plenty of parking lots for tour buses and road trucks.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2017, 6:56 AM

From afar, 4/21

4/22

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 5:11 PM

Jumbo-tron being installed inside the stadium, Those massive glass panels are being put in place at the top of the hotel, mechanical floors? or restraunt? and they got some odd giant looking scaffold system being erected from the roof... for what reason I have not got one.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 1:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
May 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned.B View Post
The scaffolding is there to aid in installing the top two floors of glass. Apparently there was an error on the part of the curtainwall manufacturer that didn't take into account that the tower crane would no longer be available when double height curtainwall panels were manufactured instead of more manageable single modules. This was their next best solution to complete the install.
Been meaning to thank you for the response and free knowledge

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive