HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Chicago Square in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 7, 2020, 1:59 AM

Thanks for the help everyone. I edited the first photo into my last post #2085.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2020, 2:06 AM

Old Posted Apr 7, 2020, 2:47 AM
BANNED

^Great contributions! Welcome to the forum!

Old Posted Apr 7, 2020, 3:25 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 View Post
Wish they had a camera on this one, especially watching them dig out the bottom, would be cool to see some of that.
If no photos for One Chicago, you can probably dig up photos from Block 37 or River East Center, both of them used the top-down technique.

It's a slow process, because everything has to be dug up with small equipment (bobcats and mini backhoes) and then hauled to the surface one bucket at a time through holes in the floorplates above.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2020, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
If no photos for One Chicago, you can probably dig up photos from Block 37 or River East Center, both of them used the top-down technique.

It's a slow process, because everything has to be dug up with small equipment (bobcats and mini backhoes) and then hauled to the surface one bucket at a time through holes in the floorplates above.
Several in the beginning of this collection. https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_...ext=37%20block

Old Posted Apr 7, 2020, 6:43 PM

Dozens of guys standing and working shoulder-to-shoulder on site today.
Wish they'd wear masks. Do they want to get shut down?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2020, 1:51 PM

Old Posted Apr 8, 2020, 2:11 PM

^^^ Now that's a view !!

thank you for sharing.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2020, 3:30 PM

When I was still in college I had a friend a few years older move into 1 W Superior. I hadn't spent much time in this part of River North before that and when I came up from the red line at Chicago I was horrified to see a surface lot taking up nearly the entire block. It was a bummer to see the row homes on Dearborn go, but this babe is going to do wonders for the street walls on State and Chicago

Hopefully 2 W Chicago is preserved. I'd also be okay with the school on the SE corner sticking around. I don't see Asbury Plaza's garage leaving this world anytime soon, but a guy can dream. What a change for the Avenue though. Still needs some work west of LaSalle, but it's evolving quite nicely.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2020, 5:44 PM

woah!!! thanks for the pics NSW2492!

Old Posted Apr 8, 2020, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
would hinder their ability to communicate with each other on-site

besides with everybody working so close together, eating together, using the same 2x2 portable restroom, sharing equipment/tools... it's better to save PPE for healthcare workers

that being said, would really suck if construction workers started falling ill. they aren't stereo-typically the healthiest people. i hope contractors are taking extreme measures to keep the work sites virus free

Old Posted Apr 8, 2020, 6:01 PM

I wonder what would be more expensive , keeping the workers in a hotel isolated or about a month of shut down?

Great pics guys

Old Posted Apr 8, 2020, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
Ha - You should have gone over and educated them.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2020, 11:14 PM

From the same buddy who took the pics I've been posting, he said they are taking it quite seriously. The 6 foot rule is used, they have lots of hand sanitizer stations, and apparently there's one guy on site who does nothing but spray literally everything down with bleach/disinfectant all day.

I'm sure everyone knows a handful of people that aren't taking this seriously, and that's probably why you see some guys on site practically on top of each other.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2020, 1:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSW2492 View Post
From the same buddy who took the pics I've been posting, he said they are taking it quite seriously. The 6 foot rule is used, they have lots of hand sanitizer stations, and apparently there's one guy on site who does nothing but spray literally everything down with bleach/disinfectant all day.

I'm sure everyone knows a handful of people that aren't taking this seriously, and that's probably why you see some guys on site practically on top of each other.
Love that information. Thank you for letting us know

Old Posted Apr 9, 2020, 10:52 AM

Quote:

From the sites I have been to, I would agree with you. I would just add that even for the majority of guys who are taking this very seriously, it can be easy to fall back to the old habit of helping out the other guys working nearby. They are trained to pitch in and help each other where needed and a lot of times that can put them within the 6' radius. When you've spent many years on a crew helping each other out in close proximity, it is difficult to just flip a switch and make a 6' distance more of a priority. From what I've seen the contractors are making a sincere effort to follow all guidelines and keep everybody safe, not just blowing it off and doing business as usual.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2020, 2:37 PM

Thats awesome to hear guys. Thanks for the insight, wishing the best to workers around the city on projects large and small

Old Posted Apr 9, 2020, 2:50 PM

A few shots I took on tuesday while riding my bike (safely). My gosh is this an impressive site. Glad to hear the crew is taking it seriously.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2020, 6:47 PM

April 9

Chicago | One Chicago by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr

The neighbor across the street. ( Lawson YMCA )

Old Posted Apr 11, 2020, 1:59 PM

Quote:

Most of these guys have wives/kids. They don't want to get sick and miss work and they don't want to get their families sick.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive