HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 3:07 PM
dream fast

Stunning view, Hayward.^

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 6:03 PM
Urbane observer

Wow. There's something mighty discomforting about seeing such expressively ecclesiastical architecture put to use for the worship of untrammeled capitalism. Talk about inviting the moneychangers into the temple!

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 6:47 PM
ParanoidAndroid

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawfin View Post
I heard from a couple of source that there is a long term plan at Fullerton to create a bus turn around...for lack of better word....similiar to North Ave....the area around the point abutting the theatre on the lake would be used for this....

Also the theatre would be redeveloped into a more commerical space / restaurant etc....

And the "cove" south of the rocky point at fullerton would be filled with green space.

anyone here heard of this as well?
I hear about the theater being converted into something more commercial every other year...haven't heard about a bus turnaround at Fullerton, but I think it's a good idea. Thought I read somewhere that that city was thinking about a massive project to push out the beaches/green space a few hundred feet or so from ~ Diversey all the way to Oak, thereby straitening LSD and being rid of the 'S' curve at Oak.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 8:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Wow. There's something mighty discomforting about seeing such expressively ecclesiastical architecture put to use for the worship of untrammeled capitalism. Talk about inviting the moneychangers into the temple!
At first I thought "what a Communist jerk" and then I thought "nope he's right". Money is the new religion. Welcome to the Church of the Almighty $ (whether you like it or not).

PS, as y'all know I love untrammeled capitalism and welcome our new Capitalist Gods. May they be ruthless and jealous Gods.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2011, 2:04 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ametz View Post
I hear about the theater being converted into something more commercial every other year...haven't heard about a bus turnaround at Fullerton, but I think it's a good idea. Thought I read somewhere that that city was thinking about a massive project to push out the beaches/green space a few hundred feet or so from ~ Diversey all the way to Oak, thereby straitening LSD and being rid of the 'S' curve at Oak.
No, the "massive project" is from Ohio to Oak, moving LSD out into the lake to giver Streeterville some lakefront greenspace. I hate the idea (so many better uses of money!!) You could solve the S-curve by simply making the curve broader with a little lakefill between Oak and Delaware.

I don't see why the entire lakefront needs to be green so long as public access is preserved. The lakefront trail through Streeterville is pretty dramatic and extremely urban.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2011, 5:21 PM

I'll split the difference: I actually thought the beach expansion was going to go from Ohio to North Avenue (near the chess pavilion).

One trivial change I'm looking forward to when/if it finally happens: a rebuild of the repulsive (and, for visitors, intimidating) Division Street LSD pedestrian tunnel.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2011, 10:02 PM
THAT Guy

City Target on State Street

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune....-lan.html#more

Target to state its case for logo on Sullivan Center; company says it's sensitive to aesthetics at landmark building
By Blair Kamin July 07, 2011

If Target Corp. has its way, the retailer's red bull's-eye logo will loom large over State Street.

The cheap-chic retailer's sign is proposed for the landmark Sullivan Center in the Loop. The bull's-eye would be visible through the famous picture-glass rotunda windows at State and Madison streets.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2011, 10:11 PM

^^^ Honestly, its not bad at all. I was expecting some horrible signage attached to the outside.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2011, 11:06 PM
Urbane observer

Target is a class act.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 1:55 AM

^^^

I too was prepared for something visually assaulting. The renders above are a relief.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 4:57 AM
TL;DR

Blair Kamin reports that Target also wants to put its bulls-eye logo on every other awning. I support the idea, but in that case the awnings should be made in the historical midnight-green color, withe the bulls-eyes in red.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 7:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiPsy View Post
I'll split the difference: I actually thought the beach expansion was going to go from Ohio to North Avenue (near the chess pavilion).

One trivial change I'm looking forward to when/if it finally happens: a rebuild of the repulsive (and, for visitors, intimidating) Division Street LSD pedestrian tunnel.
Yeah, because limiting work south of Oak means you can reduce the sharp curve only by bowing severely into the Ohio Street Beach "bay", which seems like a non-starter. Vehicles travelling southbound need to start veering east several blocks north of there, like around Elm.

Moreover, the Oak/Michigan intersection is terrible (including the physical condition of the concrete and asphalt etc.), particularly for pedestrians. There should be an easy, pleasant transition for pedestrians from the top of North Michigan into the beach and lakefront trail. So what really needs rebuilding is the area centered around the Oak Street Beach. Conversely, I think the need for LSD work south of Oak is less pressing.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 5:55 PM

River North - June 30

Illinos/State (opposite AMA and Palomar)

Museum of Broadcast Communications (putting a nice face on a vacant building).

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 6:01 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
Yeah, because limiting work south of Oak means you can reduce the sharp curve only by bowing severely into the Ohio Street Beach "bay", which seems like a non-starter. Vehicles travelling southbound need to start veering east several blocks north of there, like around Elm.

Moreover, the Oak/Michigan intersection is terrible (including the physical condition of the concrete and asphalt etc.), particularly for pedestrians. There should be an easy, pleasant transition for pedestrians from the top of North Michigan into the beach and lakefront trail. So what really needs rebuilding is the area centered around the Oak Street Beach. Conversely, I think the need for LSD work south of Oak is less pressing.
I agree... it would be ideal to depress LSD and move the ramp to ground level. The bridge carrying the ramp over the depressed Drive could be made ~100 feet wide with a wide, level landscaped promenade connecting the eastern Michigan Ave sidewalk to the lakefront.

Replacing the underpass with a wider one like the ones at 53rd and Roosevelt would be a flooding risk, I think.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2011, 8:28 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

Ronan's Poetry Foundation, 7/9:

Old Posted Jul 10, 2011, 2:41 AM

Seriously great capture there. I love that building.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2011, 1:35 AM

Yikes, you guys know that backside is going to get messed up pretty bad. I've done alot of projects using the same cladding, I'd never think of using metal siding or panel down that low without at least 3' of concrete base. If it's anything like the gangway or alley near my own building, it will only be a matter of time before a vehicle or container bumps up against it, or the weight of snow is pushed up alongside and those ribs get dented up.

I'm not sure why architects fancy using any sort of extruded metal panel in urban [pedestrian conditions]. Check out the Volkswagen dealership in gold coast. I think the design is pretty awesome, but the realities of weather and abuse are starting to show.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2011, 1:45 AM

Just thought I'd mention that SoNo 2 is well above the height of the Blackhawk garage. It's pretty impressive if someone wants to snap some pics from the top level of the garage. (I have phone pics, but they suck)

The Grossinger development has 1st floor columns.

Rush Street: Lou Malnatis looks fantastic, and the interior is very complimentary to the old bow-truss architecture of the original interior. Scoop is open, but it doesn't have a complete glass box facade like I was hoping...still it looks great. Oliver Peoples is open. This store replaced an obsolete loading dock.

No construction work noticeable on the new building that's supposed to go up on Walton.

Ogden School is complete, and you can see furniture has been moved in. The best part of the building is the roof. While many people may not be impressed with the architecture from the ground level, I'm impressed everyday by the rooftop.

Geneva Seal moved to another location and their older building seems to have had some light demo on the interior (removal of cabinets and fixtures) Haven't heard word when Starbucks will begin reconstructing the facade and interior of this building, but I'm hoping someone here might.

I have nothing really to say on other small developments, though it appears the new limestone facade is up on the Mather building, you can barely see it behind all those plastic tarps.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2011, 4:17 AM

Thanks for the update roundup Hayward!

Old Posted Jul 13, 2011, 5:17 PM
tilted & shifted

$7 million TIF goes to Greektown grocery

By: Frank Kalman July 12, 2011

The 95,125-square-foot project would be anchored by Mariano's, which is a new line of grocery stores by Milwaukee-based Roundy's Supermarkets Inc. Mariano's would take 75,595 square feet of space on the second level of the three-story structure.

Read more: http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...#ixzz1S0TVhNh6
Stay up-to-date on Chicago real estate with our free, daily e-newsletter

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development