HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Chicago Square in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 7:34 PM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

Nice massings there.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 7:44 PM

I live one block from this site and have for the past 3 years. Saying the immediate area has no street life is laughable. Compared to what? Times Square?

Anyways here's a massing I made with other U/C and proposed towers. Triple crown skyline now more indeed.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 7:52 PM

Thanks for the massing models and skyline models Steely.

Put me in the "love the massing" camp. Just like Wanda, I think it fits very well into the architectural vibe of Chicago. As much as I loved the old Chicago Spire design, it almost didn't really mesh as well with the rest of the skyline. It would have been better in Shanghai or something.

Now we wait for renderings and hope it doesn't get a haircut.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 8:49 PM
TL;DR

Obviously we haven't seen any renderings of this one, so I'll reserve judgment. I'm not about to get a height boner just yet. I'm pretty disappointed in the lack of open space on the site, and the tower massing is pretty awkward at first glance.

The underground parking is good news at least, although the podium will likely be stuffed with other windowless uses as part of the health club (basketball courts, yoga rooms, etc). It's possible to do these things with windows at additional cost, I love seeing the basketball courts in Legacy from the L.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsted & Villagio View Post
Character my friend... character

We all prefer the 19th century buildings.... but everything is not always about physical beauty when living in the city.... sometimes the beauty is found in function.

Having a street scale all hours restaurant of this type stick around helps make a city less sterile. And who knows, now with some new development right at his door, maybe the guy spends some donero to spruce the place up a bit.
By selling it to someone who knows how to make decent food?

And a one story structure is not "street scale", it's suburban style infill from when the area was urban-renewaled and needs to go.

But Chicago just really, really needs to stop building above ground parking.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
That's great, but I lived right near here for 8 years until a handful of months ago. I was right around there parcels all the damn time, nearly everyday until I started traveling every week for work..then it changed to 2 days per week.

I know what I'm talking about so I really don't care that you were there a few weeks ago when I actually experienced this specific parcel for years. Even though it was a parking lot, it still got and gets a healthy dose of pedestrian traffic on the state street side and also near Chicago ave. I'm not saying it's a ton, but it definitely was not dead on a normal day. At 3am then you'd have a point, but that's not your point.
I was just mentioning a recent visit. I grew up in Chicago, and for a long time lived less than half a mile from this site. I have quite a lot of experience with the area, for a lot longer than you do.

I think we just have a different definition of "healthy pedestrian traffic". It's being killed in River North by the fucking parking podiums.

Chicago needs to ban new residential parking, and it needs to do so yesterday.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 9:41 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
Oh dear lord. There has got to be some vacant retail space where that can relocate to. Hopefully the guy's just playing hardball and comes to his senses.

For parking, if it's all underground, what's the program for the podium?
Is that a restaurant? Bellaulee ... something? On the marquee, obscured at the end by the traffic pole.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarri4 View Post
Wow, I'm impressed that the new South Loop highrises are visible from that angle. I can't wait to see how much different that perspective is once Riverline is fully built. I love how our skyline is growing more south, northwest, and west

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 9:43 PM

Am I the only one who can't see rgarri's renderings?

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 9:53 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
I was just mentioning a recent visit. I grew up in Chicago, and for a long time lived less than half a mile from this site. I have quite a lot of experience with the area, for a lot longer than you do.

I think we just have a different definition of "healthy pedestrian traffic". It's being killed in River North by the fucking parking podiums.

Ban ALL parking? Even in a building with hundreds and hundreds of apartments, office space, and large amounts of retail?

Put that crack pipe away for a sec...

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 9:59 PM

Quote:

Wait, so because you grew up there a number of years ago you think you know better than I do considering I moved away from there only 10 months ago?

I could not give one shit that you grew up a half mile from here a number of years ago. I have way more daily, ACTUAL experience than you do in the last few years. The fact that you grew up there means jack shit when you're talking you someone who lived only 2 blocks away until 10 months ago.

Your growing up a half mile away a number of years ago and visiting for a few days recently means nothing to the context of present day everyday and people who actually experience the area everyday NOW or did very recently. There's another poster who has said that live a block away and agrees with me, but you know you think we should trust you more because you once too lived there many years ago but not anytime in the near past/now.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 10:07 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Is that a restaurant? Bellaulee ... something? On the marquee, obscured at the end by the traffic pole.
The corner is held by the restaurant Bella Luna, and directly east of it is an adjacent dry cleaner in the same building.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 10:17 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Wait, so because you grew up there a number of years ago you think you know better than I do considering I moved away from there only 10 months ago?

I could not give one shit that you grew up a half mile from here a number of years ago. I have way more daily, ACTUAL experience than you do in the last few years. The fact that you grew up there means jack shit when you're talking you someone who lived only 2 blocks away until 10 months ago.

Your growing up a half mile away a number of years ago and visiting for a few days recently means nothing to the context of present day everyday and people who actually experience the area everyday NOW or did very recently. There's another poster who has said that live a block away and agrees with me, but you know you think we should trust you more because you once too lived there many years ago but not anytime in the near past/now.
Gotta agree. River North has changed DRASTICALLY in the past 10-15 years. No comparison

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 10:18 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
The corner is held by the restaurant Bella Luna, and directly east of it is an adjacent dry cleaner in the same building.
That menu is fantastic. Good prices too and a happy hour, good wine selections. Okay... maybe it should stay.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
some skyline views:

Thanks for these! When you see images like this, it's quite clear this tower at the proposed height/massing would fit in perfectly and there shouldn't be any arguments against its size. Yet we all know there are plenty of loud-mouthed unreasonable people, some of whom will do whatever it takes to force a downsizing of this building. Hopefully the alderman doesn't capitulate to ridiculous nonsensical demands.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 11:13 PM

Quote:
By selling it to someone who knows how to make decent food?

And a one story structure is not "street scale", it's suburban style infill from when the area was urban-renewaled and needs to go.

But Chicago just really, really needs to stop building above ground parking.
I am an Attorney not an Architect, City Planner, etc., but from everything I have read https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21350253 "street scale" is something "designed to promote physical activity".

I believe a walkable/easily accessible restaurant could arguably be said to "promote physical activity".

Listen, bottom line, the building looks like its gonna stay. Instead of b*tching and moaning about it we might as well accept it. Every building does not have to be an architectural masterpiece. Some just serve as accessory pieces that add to the livability of a city. Besides, save for a some much needed warming up/greenery/plants, etc., juxtaposed against a sterile parking garage or fledgling retail store, this building is really not that bad -- particularly if warmed up.

Change the location of this building to somewhere down by Rush street and add trees, plants, etc. and would fit right in.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 2:36 AM
1st Ward

Beautiful work, Steely. I can stare at them for hours.

River North west of State really needs more height. This will help nicely.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
the lower portions/base of this seem so weird to me. would hope they could make this more elegant....

What it's doing is giving the surface a finer grained texture. Hopefully the form is functional and dynamic. It looks like lots of interesting spaces built into that.

Personally I think that podium should step back (NYC style) and have some active use terraces.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 3:47 AM
The City

How much do you want to bet that instead of trying to improve the design and maybe trying to get the developer to preserve those historic buildings, our usual cadre of obtuse butthole NIMBYs will be entirely focused on traffic and trying every which way to shrink the building.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 7:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Ban ALL parking? Even in a building with hundreds and hundreds of apartments, office space, and large amounts of retail?

Put that crack pipe away for a sec...
Residential. And just new parking. There's plenty existing.

Believe it or not, people pay lots of money for apartments in Manhattan and Brooklyn that do not come with parking spaces. Chicago should be no different.

And it certainly shouldn't be built above ground.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive