HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 5:42 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby604 View Post
Huntington Homes quote was $850,000-$950,000 for a 1800-2100SQF. Rough estimate with us already owning the land.

Big Money.
Damn that basically makes it a million at bare minimum! Must be really high end.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 5:51 PM

It's hard to get too excited about those homebuilding stats when our population is flatlining as noted in the population thread. Most of those new homes are being bought up by people who would have otherwise been in the market for existing houses. Instead of buying those homes and renovating them (not just talking about hundred year old West End houses but stuff from postwar suburbia), they're moving out to greenfield suburbs. Not great news for the City which is now stuck with the bill of servicing these new neighbourhoods.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 5:58 PM

Pricey.

Curious bobby. Where is the land you own, in general terms. In Winnipeg?

In my comings and goings. A house on my street just sold. Asking $300k for a 1000 sq. ft bungalow. Sold for $373k. It's nothing fancy. Typical bungalow built in 59. updated and such. Ridiculous but there's not much out there.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 5:59 PM

Edit: moved Blumberg discussion to the other thread.

Last edited by bomberjet; Jan 18, 2022 at 6:34 PM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
Not sure if this has been mentioned here before, but a proposal in front of the city centre committee for the Legion site on Pembina across from the Shoppers:

82 units, 0.87 parking spots/unit, and the Pembina-facing part is the pedestrian entrance to the building and entrances to the ground level live/work units, no giant parking lot facing Pembina. Pretty good
I drove through Pembina today and saw the legion getting Demo’d. I wonder how long until construction starts. Either way I can’t wait for this project.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 8:02 PM

As I've said before, it would be nice to see that stretch of Pembina from Jubilee to McGillivray which looks like it's stuck in a kind of 1972 time warp continue growing and become a little more urbanized.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
As I've said before, it would be nice to see that stretch of Pembina from Jubilee to McGillivray which looks like it's stuck in a kind of 1972 time warp continue growing and become a little more urbanized.
The east side of Pembina past Jubilee to Osborne is also in dire need of redevelopment. Nothing says car-centricity like having car dealerships and swaths of parking right next to our RT stations.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Pricey.

Curious bobby. Where is the land you own, in general terms. In Winnipeg?

In my comings and goings. A house on my street just sold. Asking $300k for a 1000 sq. ft bungalow. Sold for $373k. It's nothing fancy. Typical bungalow built in 59. updated and such. Ridiculous but there's not much out there.
West St Paul!

We've been looking in Linden Woods, Tuxedo and N River Heights and we would have to pay 700K+ for a 30 year old house that needs a 200K reno and for the same value we can just build a new one.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
There’s a bunch of them in Bridgwater that turned purple. Tbh I kind of like them.
There are a few on Pembina SB south of Bison. Horrible to drive under.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 10:48 PM

First block of River Ave between Main and Donald is all blue and has been for months.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 11:16 PM

I feel like they're just shoddy LED's in the cold.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 11:17 PM

Quote:
West St Paul!

We've been looking in Linden Woods, Tuxedo and N River Heights and we would have to pay 700K+ for a 30 year old house that needs a 200K reno and for the same value we can just build a new one.
Ah cool. Ya, it's crazy out there. We're having a hard time.. A couple years ago would've been nice but we weren't ready.

Keep us posted on how it goes. Best of luck!

Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 4:14 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It's hard to get too excited about those homebuilding stats when our population is flatlining as noted in the population thread. Most of those new homes are being bought up by people who would have otherwise been in the market for existing houses. Instead of buying those homes and renovating them (not just talking about hundred year old West End houses but stuff from postwar suburbia), they're moving out to greenfield suburbs. Not great news for the City which is now stuck with the bill of servicing these new neighbourhoods.
Add to that the city can't afford to maintain existing infrastructure, what the hell do we do in the future with more sprawl!

Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 4:50 AM

Tax the rich.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 12:57 PM

Looks like 514 Wellington Cres is back on...

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bu...576087322.html

For those without a Free Press subscription, Property and Development, Heritage and Downtown Development overturned the Community Committee decision against the development. Gilroy, Klein, Lukes, and Santos were all in favour.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 1:23 PM

Quote:
Huntington Homes quote was $850,000-$950,000 for a 1800-2100SQF. Rough estimate with us already owning the land.

Big Money.
$475 sq/ft with you owning land. Wow, times have changed since i looked into custom home 10 years ago.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soewnz View Post
Looks like 514 Wellington Cres is back on...

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bu...576087322.html

For those without a Free Press subscription, Property and Development, Heritage and Downtown Development overturned the Community Committee decision against the development. Gilroy, Klein, Lukes, and Santos were all in favour.
Amazing but I am very shocked that Klein was in favour as well. I can only hope this sets a precedent for densification of Wellington. Imagine the beautiful infill that could pop up to help renovate some of the dilapidated mansions in the area.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 2:44 PM

That condo looks like a big old mansion. Which I assume is the intent. Looks just like the richest house in Winnipeg.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
That condo looks like a big old mansion. Which I assume is the intent. Looks just like the richest house in Winnipeg.
It certainly does. The issue is that it will be made for more than two people to live in it, so the whole neighbourhood is up in arms.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 3:22 PM
What could go wrong?

Janice Lukes comments are spot on for how a Councillor should be representing the City.

"Janice Lukes, the city councillor representing the Waverley West ward and a member of the Property and Development, Heritage and Downtown Development committee, said she watched a recording of the community committee hearing and was cognizant of the community opposition.

She said that it’s councillors’ job to wear two hats — one for the neighbourhood that elected them and the other for the entire city.

"Sometimes it is difficult," she said. "You want to be responsive to them (the neighbourhood)… but you have to make decisions for the city at the standing committee level, not for my constituents."
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan