HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 11:24 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

its good and fine an old newspaper dropped the ‘a’ out of cleveland. sorry moses cleaveland.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbao58 View Post
I always heard "Chicago" was the Anglicized version of the Gallicized version of the Native American word for smelly onions.

So basically it took the French to get from Shikakwa to Chicago.

There’s recently been some debate about that.

From Garcilaso de la Vega writing about the Hernando De Soto Expedition
Years 1539-1543:

“… a large river, which because it was the greatest of all those that our Spaniards saw in La Florida,[3] they called it the Rio Grande, without giving it any other name. Juan Coles [La Vega informant[4]] says in his Relation (i.e., report) that in the Indian language this river was called Chucagua, and below we shall describe its grandeur at more length, for it was a wonderful thing.”[5]

In 1670, the De Soto Spanish narrative gets translated into French

In 1677, La Salle makes a plan to explore the Mississippi, and in 1679 “Checagou” appears on a map of Illinois for the first time.

Henri Joutel arrives later in 1687, and is told by the Potawatomi that Chicago sounds like their slang word for ‘skunk-weed ’ although the proper Potawatomi name for garlic was wanissisia.

There’s a good chance that the word “Chicago” is another name for the Mississippi River that’s been transliterated from Chisca —> Spanish —> French —> Ojibwe— > English

According to Hennepin, Chicago was also known as Fort Creveceur at one time.

“An Account of the Building of a New Fort on the River of the Illinois Named by the Savages Che-cau-gou and by US Fort Creveceur.”

Last edited by galleyfox; Oct 26, 2021 at 11:45 PM.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
Do I wish LA was still called El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles?

No.
I like that Bangkok's name in Thai translates to "City of Angels" (Krung Thep Maha Nakhon). Somewhat oddly, Bangkok is not a sister city of Los Angeles, which has the only officially recognized Thai Town in the US, and LA County has the largest number of Thai people outside of Thailand.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
I like that Bangkok's name in Thai translates to "City of Angels" (Krung Thep Maha Nakhon). Somewhat oddly, Bangkok is not a sister city of Los Angeles, which has the only officially recognized Thai Town in the US, and LA County has the largest number of Thai people outside of Thailand.
Ah I didn't know that about Bangkok. But I always thought it was one of the greatest city names ever

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 12:00 AM

San Francisco used to be known as Yerba Buena, which means "good herb". Before that, there were several native American villages in what is now SF, the biggest of which were apparently: Amuctac, Sitlintac, Tubsinta, Petlenuc, and Chuchui.

Oakland/Berkeley/Emeryville/Albany/Alameda/San Leandro used to be a ranch named Rancho San Antonio (the San Antonio district in Oakland is named after it, and for a while was also known as Brooklyn before it was annexed by Oakland).

IMO all the names are pretty good. Would be cool to see more stuff named after native tribes though.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Stonewall? Yeah probably!

Phoenix is a weird name. Stonewall named after the wildly interesting Civil War General would be cool. current culturally melodramatic issues with it right now notwithstanding.

Before that the region was referred to as "Pima Villages" which of course was just the small and scattered native farming communities and families in the river basin where Phoenix now sits.

And before that I suppose it was some Hohokam name lost to history.
Other prior or proposed names for Phoenix include Swilling's Mill (after founder Jack Swilling), Helling Mill, Mill City, East Phoenix, and Salina. None of those have much of a ring for me. Salina, for the Salt River, is OK, but not better than Phoenix. I agree that Stonewall is a pretty badass name for a city, even apart from the Confederate associations. But I'd probably stick with Phoenix. It has a cool meaning and I'm a sucker for classical allusions.

The same settler, Darrell Duppa, is said to have suggested both Phoenix and Tempe. I love the idea of a high-minded Englishman roving across the Southwestern deserts giving places names of things he remembers from his time at Cambridge. Speaking of Tempe, its original name was Hayden's Ferry, which I quite like. But it seems more appropriate for a small waypoint. Tempe is more appropriate for the City it is today.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
Cincinnati used to be Losantaville and Fort Washington. Not sure if either would be an improvement?
To clarify, Cincinnati is named for the Society of the Cincinnati, which is itself named after Lucious Quinctius Cincinnatus.

Losantiville is an ugly word and would have caused endless confusion with nearby Louisville.

Louisville, St. Louis, and Louisiana are named after different French kings.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 1:28 AM

São Paulo was founded in January 25th, 1554. It was St. Paul's Day, hence the name.

Its full name in the past was São Paulo de Piratininga, "Piratininga" is an indigenous word (Tupi-Guarani) meaning dry fish according to Google.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 4:15 AM

Having Dallas, TX and Fort Dallas, FL (Miami's original US name) would have been interesting. Keeping the native name Tequesta, FL could have worked. Tequesta, FL is now a small city in Palm Beach County.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 4:22 AM
Birds Aren't Real!

According to Wikipedia, Los Angeles was founded on the Tongva village of Yaanga, meaning "poison oak place." So, no--I think "Los Angeles" is a much better name for the city.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 5:02 AM
Meh

I like the name Austin alright, and it's convenient living in an A-name city, but I will say that our original name of Waterloo just rolls off the tongue so much more satisfyingly.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 5:31 AM
你的媽媽

Oakland comes from the name encinal, which is Spanish for oak grove. There used to be oak trees all over downtown Oakland before it was developed. There's a high school in the neighboring city, Alameda called Encinal High. Notable alumni include Isaiah Rider, Willie Stargell, Jimmy Rollins, Dontrelle Willis, and John Wimberley.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 8:24 AM

Londinium would sound a bit odd, but it didn’t change much. New York or New Amsterdam?
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montréaliste View Post
Toronto and Chicago are cool names. I really like North American city names rooted in aboriginal culture.
Me too! Chicago for example, is my fave city name..NA Cities named after aboriginal North American references are the best IMO.

Ottawa used to be called "By-Town", named after colonel By.
I prefer the former..I'm not a fan of cities ending in "ville" of "field" myself either .They sound too generic. Geographic reference names like Detroit are cool, as long as they are in a different language other than English.."Bend", or "Little Rock" don't resonate with me personally. I like the city names endining in "apolis" as well. Minneapolis is a real cool name.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
considering the fact that "Fort Dearborn" is the only other possible name that Chicago might have assumed in the past, i'll say no.

"Fort X" city names are pretty bland and generic, and even if it had been truncated to just "Dearborn", that would have been dumb too.

"Chicago" is a wonderful and unique name. It doesn't get confused for any other place on the planet. And it's by far the largest city in the US with a native american-derived name ("shikakwa" meaning smelly onions).

so yeah, "Chicago" is a keeper of a name. I'm glad "Fort Dearborn" was left in the history books.
Same goes with Waukegan - don't think it ever had another name but if it did it was Little Fort .

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 2:01 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by montréaliste View Post
Day-traw for the French, Detroyed for the English.
More like Day-trwah (with a French R) in French I'd say.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 2:06 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Me too! Chicago for example, is my fave city name..NA Cities named after aboriginal North American references are the best IMO.

Ottawa used to be called "By-Town", named after colonel By.
I prefer the former..I'm not a fan of cities ending in "ville" of "field" myself either .They sound too generic. Geographic reference names like Detroit are cool, as long as they are in a different language other than English.."Bend", or "Little Rock" don't resonate with me personally. I like the city names endining in "apolis" as well. Minneapolis is a real cool name.
Kitchissippi would have been a cool name for Ottawa. It is the Algonquin name for the Ottawa River that the city was built along and named for.

It means Great River and I'd agree that Kitchissippi sounds way better than that, and also better than Grande Rivière in French.

Interesting that in the mid 1800s Ottawa residents chose to change their city's name from the British-sounding Bytown to the Indigenous name Ottawa.

Things probably didn't often change in that direction in those days.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 2:17 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post

for as many states as we have with native american derived names, there aren't a ton of large US cities with such.

Cities with fully-derived native american names out of the 100 largest US cities:

Chicago
Seattle
Milwaukee
Tucson
Omaha
Miami
Wichita
Tampa
Honolulu
Chesapeake
Spokane

Cities with partially-derived native american names out of the 100 largest US cities:

Oklahoma City
Kansas City
Minneapolis

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 2:41 PM
i ain't no bubba

Terminus >>> Marthasville >>> Atlanta. I'm OK with the change...change is good.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
Do I wish LA was still called El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles?

No.

In an alternate timeline the major city in SoCal might have been called San Gabriel, which would be a great name for a city, but I kind of like the fact that LA is the only major city in CA that isn't named after a mission.
How about "Le détroit du lac Érié" for Detroit? Detroit could've just as well ended up being Erie, MI.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions