HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
My sister's family moved into a new house in Forney and their subdivision is next to Lake Ray Hubbard.

Right now at the end of their street you can see the full downtown skyline across the water. Unfortunately the developer didn't provision a park or green space in that location and instead there are already foundations poured for houses there. So in the next few months the view will disappear. But yeah it's really not that surprising to get a skyline view that far out. In Rockwall there is a substantial ridge on the eastern short of the lake with a 200' or so elevation change that you experience driving on I-30. You can definitely see DT Dallas, as well the stray high rise or two in Garland, the CityLine development in Richardson, etc. There's an outdoor mall thing with mostly restaurants that fronts the lake there, with some mid-rise hotels attached to it that seem to capitalize on the vista there.

What I'm curious about is if there's anywhere in the metroplex that's ***not inside of or on top of a a building(or six flags ride, or football stadium, or airport terminal)** where you can stand and look west to see Fort Worth and east to Dallas at the same time. It should be possible since the midpoint would only be about 15 miles away from either city. Problem is the trinity and the surrounding area is a meandering low spot of elevation that has more than the usual amount of trees.

during my stint in dallas a few years back, i drove home and back a number of times, but on one trip i took a detour to stop in huntsville to visit a friend. instead of driving south to 20 and continuing on from there, i took some back roads up to memphis, then hopped on 40, then 30 through little rock, and eventually reached dallas via this route across lake ray hubbard. i was taken aback; the combination of water and bluffs, with the skyline in the distance wasn't something i was expecting to see.

https://goo.gl/maps/uAfnVEYRxznXADiA8

Old Posted Nov 3, 2021, 10:06 AM

Well, the best way for me to watch on a far distance city is through dragoneye. Regular cameras is cool, but as a fun of space and astronomy it's go-to way to watch all my favorite views

Old Posted Dec 11, 2021, 2:16 PM
BANNED

I saw this post and thought I would share Boatguy619's picture here. Tijuana's growing skyline in the foreground with San Diego's off in the distance. The TJ skyline is just south of the border, the brown rolling hills along the right margin of the photo are on the U.S. side of the border and within San Diego city limits. Pacific Gateway Park.

Skyline to Skyline are about 15 miles from each other as the crow flies. As for the location of the camera shot, I would assume at least 20 miles from Downtown SD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy619 View Post

Old Posted Dec 11, 2021, 2:55 PM

Old Posted Dec 13, 2021, 5:37 PM
Frequent Lurker

^ Obadno, it would be helpful on these kinds of threads to mention what city this is. I'm not good at those "guess the skyline" quizzes so I have no idea what I'm looking at, or how far away it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAN Man View Post
I saw this post and thought I would share Boatguy619's picture here. Tijuana's growing skyline in the foreground with San Diego's off in the distance. The TJ skyline is just south of the border, the brown rolling hills along the right margin of the photo are on the U.S. side of the border and within San Diego city limits. Pacific Gateway Park.

Skyline to Skyline are about 15 miles from each other as the crow flies. As for the location of the camera shot, I would assume at least 20 miles from Downtown SD.
Awesome picture. Looks like it was taken around here on Google Maps.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 12:13 AM
Map Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamliner View Post
^ Obadno, it would be helpful on these kinds of threads to mention what city this is. I'm not good at those "guess the skyline" quizzes so I have no idea what I'm looking at, or how far away it is.
Yea I had to think about that one for a while. Pretty sure it's Phoenix AZ looking from east to west

https://www.facebook.com/EZRDSocial

Old Posted Dec 16, 2021, 2:14 PM
BANNED

Mount Woodson

I took this yesterday from the summit of Mount Woodson.
Elevation 2,901ft on a chilly 45F afternoon.
As the crow flies, from the summit, it is 23.5 miles to Downtown San Diego and the Pinnacle residential towers in the East Village.
The islands are in Mexican waters and are about 44-48 miles away.
The tip of Point Loma is 28.4 miles out.

Can you spot DTSD, Point Loma and the islands?!?

Mt Woodson Summit by Manuel Sanchez, on Flickr

Bonus shot, Pinnacle residential towers in the East Village are 23 miles from Mt. Woodson summit, they're visible on the left side of the downtown cluster.

Pinnacle by Manuel Sanchez, on Flickr

Old Posted Dec 16, 2021, 3:49 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post

Beacon Mtn Hike by David W, on Flickr
This is absolutely top shelf.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2021, 5:24 PM

Quote:
I took this yesterday from the summit of Mount Woodson.
Elevation 2,901ft on a chilly 45F afternoon.
As the crow flies, from the summit, it is 23.5 miles to Downtown San Diego and the Pinnacle residential towers in the East Village.
The islands are in Mexican waters and are about 44-48 miles away.
The tip of Point Loma is 28.4 miles out.

Can you spot DTSD, Point Loma and the islands?!?
no

Old Posted Dec 16, 2021, 8:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
no

I'll help you out. Locate Point Loma, it's a peninsula that juts southward into the ocean, separating SD Bay from the Pacific. From PL, look to the left and you'll see the cluster of downtown rooftops which appears as a jagged surface and not smooth like the horizon or the cloud layer. Just above and to the left of the downtown cluster are the islands. The ocean and the cloud bank almost appear as one layer, but if you look closely, you can see the division between the two. I can see all of this on my iPhone 11 screen, but you'll probably find it easier to see on a computer.

It's hard to see especially if you're not familiar with the area. Keep in mind that I took the picture with an iPhone 11, I wish I had a telephoto lens. In person the visibility was better and much easier to see.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2021, 9:17 PM
BANNED

Kate Sessions Park

This one is from Kate Sessions Park in the Pacific Beach neighborhood of San Diego.

Looking southward and in order from foreground to background you have Kate Sessions Park, Pacific Beach "PB", Mission Bay, Fiesta Island, Mission Hills/Hillcrest, Downtown 8.5 miles out, Coronado/SD Bay Bridge 9.6 miles out, high-rise cluster in Coronado 10 miles out, Tijuana on the hill in the distance approximately 23-28 miles out and faintly off in the distance the mountain range in Mexico is approximately 40 miles away.

Kate Sessions Park by Manuel Sanchez, on Flickr

For those who don't know who Kate Sessions is, she was an amazing woman especially of her time. Those of us that live in Southern California can thank her for our urban landscape environment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kate_Sessions

Old Posted Dec 17, 2021, 12:13 AM

Found this great shot of the Southland on one of those rare unlimited visibility days.

Distances from the top of Mt Hawkins: DTLA - 32 miles, San Pedro Hill - 51 miles, Catalina Island - 75 miles, San Clemente Island - 110 miles, San Nicolas Island - 125 miles.

Source: https://youtu.be/sf2wjNfQ71s?t=393 <--- great channel btw

Old Posted Dec 17, 2021, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
Found this great shot of the Southland on one of those rare unlimited visibility days.

Distances from the top of Mt Hawkins: DTLA - 32 miles, San Pedro Hill - 51 miles, Catalina Island - 75 miles, San Clemente Island - 110 miles, San Nicolas Island - 125 miles.

Source: https://youtu.be/sf2wjNfQ71s?t=393 <--- great channel btw
I go hiking up in Angeles National Forest (mountains you see snow capped behind Los Angeles) often and the views from those peaks (up to 10,064 feet at Mt Baldy) are spectacular, especially on clear days. From certain peaks, you have 360 views from the ocean to the southern Sierra Nevadas. You even get great views from the first couple turnouts in La Canada, about 20 miles from dtla.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2021, 7:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post

That's a spectacular photo. I love these crisp winter days that follow a storm. Look at all the ships waiting to enter the port of LA/LB!

Old Posted Dec 20, 2021, 8:45 PM
BANNED

The distance is about 11 miles to downtown. Despite the haze, the picture does a good job showing just how hilly it is in San Diego. It also shows why the population density of San Diego seems low, it's nearly impossible to build a dense coherent and connected city. We have clusters of high density separated by natural features, federal lands, parks and water.

DT from Soledad by Manuel Sanchez, on Flickr

Old Posted Dec 20, 2021, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
I go hiking up in Angeles National Forest (mountains you see snow capped behind Los Angeles) often and the views from those peaks (up to 10,064 feet at Mt Baldy) are spectacular, especially on clear days. From certain peaks, you have 360 views from the ocean to the southern Sierra Nevadas. You even get great views from the first couple turnouts in La Canada, about 20 miles from dtla.
Which peaks can you access easily by car? Seeing a ton of southern California from a mountain top is one of the things I want to do out there some time.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 4:28 PM

T.O. in the distance.

kris

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 4:39 PM
Ex Houstonian

^
Torontos skyline from afar in many places is even more impressive than NYCs.

Here's a photo I took of the skyline from Fort Niagara, NY probably 2 years ago, maybe 3. From the fort its about 20 miles or so to downtown Toronto.

ACV_1464 by PittsburghMarbles, on Flickr

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Which peaks can you access easily by car? Seeing a ton of southern California from a mountain top is one of the things I want to do out there some time.
You can take the angeles crest highway (2 freeway) lm la Canada (mile marker 26) all the way to about mile marker 60 or so right now, since there is a winter closure beyond that. Along the way, you will have the opportunity to pull over at multiple turn outs that give you amazing views of the city, mostly during the first 10 miles. Just be careful, it's a windy mountain road with a lot of motorcycle and car enthusiasts...

In regards to peaks, you can head to he Mount Wilson observatory for some cool hikes with views such as San Gabriel peak, Mount Lowe or to mount Wilson itself. If the road is open and you can get up mount Baden Powell, you can get to roughly 9500 feet with spectacular views of the la metro, and you can see pretty much to Mexico on one side and to the southern Sierra on the other. Mind blowing

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 7:09 PM

Quote:
The distance is about 11 miles to downtown. Despite the haze, the picture does a good job showing just how hilly it is in San Diego. It also shows why the population density of San Diego seems low, it's nearly impossible to build a dense coherent and connected city. We have clusters of high density separated by natural features, federal lands, parks and water.

DT from Soledad by Manuel Sanchez, on Flickr
It’s such a buzz of a city do drive around. Beautifully set up for cruising in and out of nabes on the freeways, boulevards, and right sized too.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions