HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 2:24 PM

CDR Submissions up for second September CDR Meeting

No new highrises again, but a couple of nice projects on there.

Link:
https://www.phila.gov/documents/civi...ing-materials/

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 2:29 PM

I'm really excited to see 2224-50 Germantown Avenue! Believe it or not, there's actually a ton of new construction occurring north of Berks Street, and quite a few units going up west of 5th Street. It's only a matter of time before Germantown Avenue north of Norris Street sees more new multi-story new construction with ground-floor retail, especially since Norris Square and Harntraft don't really have commercial corridors.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 2:25 PM

Listening in on the DRWC meeting right now on the 4 proposals -- I would be shocked if the Sixers proposal wins. The President is going through what is most important to their philosophy/master plan -- residential, first floor retail, public art, public parks every half mile, etc. They haven't announced the winner yet though.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 2:36 PM

Penn's Landing Proposals

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 2:39 PM

Has to be Sixers or Hoffman, both seem viable and good plans. PLCP looks like a fantasy, Durst is an easy no based on track record.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry King View Post
Has to be Sixers or Hoffman, both seem viable and good plans. PLCP looks like a fantasy, Durst is an easy no based on track record.
^^^ha, those are the two I liked. What's the durst track-record? I really hate the sixers proposal. Hoffman looks fine but the density looks a little awkward.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintreesnail View Post
^^^ha, those are the two I liked. What's the durst track-record? I really hate the sixers proposal. Hoffman looks fine but the density looks a little awkward.
Hoffman proposal is a little boxy. Durst has owned land here since 2017 and has done nothing, hasn’t pulled a zoning permit even.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 2:53 PM

DWRC said one of their main questions to be answered, which one of these developers is "the best long term partner?" Josh Harris?!

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 2:54 PM

Recommendation is in: Durst wins!!!

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 3:00 PM

Durst renderings

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 3:03 PM

Wow! Durst won? That's a nice looking plan. A bit concerned, but I'll back it.

Plus, you know the Sixers will look elsewhere. My vote for them? Either build a similar project around 30th Street station over the rail yards, or build a similar mixed use project down by the stadiums.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 3:16 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
One noticeable plus I see with the Durst proposal is a lot of green space and open space for people to be outdoors and to take walks. Pavers are a nice touch too if that comes to fruition. I'm glad they won, and let's hope they take it seriously and start planning and permitting to get some of the highrises built. It looks like they did a nice job of letting people be near the river for a stroll and enjoying river views. The construction project will be momentus when it happens.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 3:20 PM

DURST:
$2.2 billion investment by Durst (no public subsidies).
3.6 mil sq. ft of total new development
2,000 new residential units (Market St site and Marina site totals) - including mixed-income housing component
100,000 sq ft for retail
225 room hotel
$3.9 billion in total economy output
28,000 construction jobs - over an 8 year construction period.
$2.0 billion in new wages
1,850 new permanent jobs once the project is completed
Annual new tax revenues of $35 mil once completed ($9 mil will go to Philly public schools).

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 3:43 PM

Durst proposal looks really good. Someone should make a "Penn's Landing Redevelopment" thread.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
Durst proposal looks really good. Someone should make a "Penn's Landing Redevelopment" thread.
Yep. Working on it now. Going to do a similar thing to what we did for Schuylkill Yards.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 4:07 PM

Looks great.

(Though I don't understand the reasoning for giving both lots to the same developer.)

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 4:09 PM

There are elements of the Durst plan that I like very much. For one thing, since the tower on the south side is set back, it retains views of the river and the bridge from large sections of the new park. The development really does seem to extend the city grid to the river, proposing a new shopping street in the interior while leaving the eastern edge mainly to recreation. At the same time, there seem to be broad openings and views from the interior street to the river. Also, the green areas along the river give a nod to the fact that the development is in a flood plane; green water collection & filtration systems in that area could help with any flooding problems.

The tallest building, which would sort of terminate Market Street, appears to be in the 50 to 60-story range, readily visible as a landmark from much of center city. How the proposal would treat the stretch along Delaware Ave., however is still unclear; I hope it's not merely a "back-entrance" or loading area. The area south of Spruce St. is also not clear, but I kind of like what I see so far. The big question is, of course, how many years would it take to build all of this, and what kinds of changes can we expect along the way?

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanyika View Post
There are elements of the Durst plan that I like very much. For one thing, since the tower on the south side is set back, it retains views of the river and the bridge from large sections of the new park. The development really does seem to extend the city grid to the river, proposing a new shopping street in the interior while leaving the eastern edge mainly to recreation. At the same time, there seem to be broad openings and views from the interior street to the river. Also, the green areas along the river give a nod to the fact that the development is in a flood plane; green water collection & filtration systems in that area could help with any flooding problems.

The tallest building, which would sort of terminate Market Street, appears to be in the 50 to 60-story range, readily visible as a landmark from much of center city. How the proposal would treat the stretch along Delaware Ave., however is still unclear; I hope it's not merely a "back-entrance" or loading area. The area south of Spruce St. is also not clear, but I kind of like what I see so far. The big question is, of course, how many years would it take to build all of this, and what kinds of changes can we expect along the way?
They say it’ll be 100% complete by 2028, FWIW.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
Looks great.

(Though I don't understand the reasoning for giving both lots to the same developer.)
The RFP by DRWC was for both plots (Market St and the "Marina site") -- and the Sixers actually tried to get a lot more land than that.

And to echo mcgrath's point, yes - Durst and DRWC said a few times, this proposal has an 8 year build out, that's the time frame, 8 years ... boom, done.

Of course, we shall see. Another point, the Cap Park is totally financed as we know, but the bidding process is still on-going. The DRWC seems confident that a winner will be picked in 2021 and construction begin immediately thereafter.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 4:33 PM

none of the 4 proposals look like they spent much money on design. Who cares to wager on a over/under date for anything happening at this site? My guess is at least 3 years. But I'm guessing less then a month for the first law suit to be filed. This is Penn's Landing after all. By the time they are ready to build their plans will be down to a couple of townhouses.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations