HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jul 24, 2013, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
I wish they could at least incorporate the facade of 850-854 Belmont into the design rather than tear everything down. Is the exterior terra-cotta? Regardless of what it is, I like the detail... more interesting than most new construction ever produces. But otherwise I'm thrilled to hear this corner will finally be redeveloped into something more appropriate for a location just two minutes from the L.
I've been wondering the same thing about at least incorporating the facade!

Old Posted Jul 25, 2013, 3:30 AM

Wow - that would change the whole feel of that area in such an awesome way.

I wonder if they already have financing lined up - I feel like that'd be tough to do without first securing a tenant for the retail floors.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2013, 3:18 PM
Technocrat in Your Tank!

Goodbye, Pierce Hall!

All images copyright Studio Gang Architects, via chicagomag.com:

As an alum I have to admit to being somewhat torn about this—while it’s a great improvement over Pierce (admittedly, not hard), the site plan really opens up what was an awkward corner of the campus, and in the article Gang notes she takes inspiration from Harry Weese (whose work in the Regenstein Library I’ve always felt was underappreciated), the new dormitory’s also reflective of the university’s attempt to keep more students on-campus and in campus housing. As someone who fled campus housing as soon as I had the chance, I’m generally not fond of this. Living the neighborhood was not only less expensive, but also gave me field-training in acting like an adult and, most importantly, got me out the the University’s bubble, which can be rather awful. In the past, the University semi-expected students to do this, provisioning less housing for upperclassmen. Now, with four-year stays in housing encouraged, more students will choose to remain in the bubble and refrain from both growing up and remain even more isolated in already-isolated Hyde Park.

Last edited by Beta_Magellan; Jul 25, 2013 at 3:29 PM. Reason: Cleaning up posting-while-multitasking mistakes

Old Posted Jul 25, 2013, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beta_Magellan View Post
In the past, the University semi-expected students to do this, provisioning less housing for upperclassmen. Now, with four-year stays in housing encouraged, more students will choose to remain in the bubble and refrain from both growing up and being even more isolated in already-isolated Hyde Park.
Good points here. A number of my friends are U of C alumni and all echo your thoughts regarding isolation.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2013, 3:40 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beta_Magellan View Post
Harry Weese (whose work in the Regenstein Library I’ve always felt was underappreciated)
What did Weese do in Regenstein?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2013, 4:52 PM
Technocrat in Your Tank!

Nothing—it was Walter Netsch and I brain-farted.

I’m moving from Chicago soon so you won’t have to deal with my idiocy anymore.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2013, 6:28 PM

Looks like Halsted Flats is gaining some height. Photos from Chicago Architecture Blog, and the article accompanying it is pretty cool too.

http://blog.chicagoarchitecture.info...ragic-to-epic/

Old Posted Jul 25, 2013, 10:40 PM

GEMS school LSE

. . .

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 3:45 AM

I'm very confused about the site plan for GEMS. There is the lower part that I think many of us know, but then there is an upper part that looks to face the east wall of Coast and faces upper wacker as well. Are there two separate schools separated by the Tides parking podium or what? Has any one seen a site plan for this layout?

Source: http://arcchicago.blogspot.com/2012/...-east-cps.html

Imagine Coast is there

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 4:11 AM

Just found my answer from curbed: http://chicago.curbed.com/archives/2...shore-east.php

It's a two phase project. Phase 1, starting now, is grades k-4, and phase 2 is 5-12. Still not sure if they connect in any way.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 5:07 AM
TL;DR

IIRC there is a connection in the podium/at the pedway level. I believe parents will also do their pickup/dropoff using Lowest Wacker, and will be discouraged from queuing up around the park.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Lowest Wacker
This is the best term to describe service level Wacker I've ever heard. I think we should get a petition to city hall asking to rename all Service Level Streets "Lowest Wacker" or "Lowest Columbus"...

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 2:28 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Method will open first U.S. manufacturing plant in Chicago

Method, the eco-friendly cleaning supply company, is opening its first U.S. manufacturing plant, and residents of Chicago's South Side can look out for the 150,000-square-foot, LEEDs-certified soap production facility next year.

he San Francisco-based company, which Belgian company Ecover acquired last year, will set up shop on the site of the old Ryerson steel mill as part of the Pullman Park redevelopment project. Pullman is a 174-acre mixed-use development that will need a zoning change for Method, as it initially had not planned for a factory as part of the project. The developer, Chicago Neighborhood Initiatives, is expected to apply for about $10 million in TIF subsidies, according to the Chicago Tribune.

Chicago's South Side needs jobs. Method is bringing them there. I'm not going to say American manufacturing is booming, because it's not. But it's time to stop talking about the slow death of American manufacturing and start talking about how small-scale operations such as Method can be a robust part of our economy.

http://www.greenbiz.com/blog/2013/07...-plant-chicago , Bill Bradley, July 25, 2013

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 5:29 PM

Two construction trailers have been delivered to the site of the new Bulls Practice facility. Could they be getting ready to break ground? One is under the Paulina connector on East side of the site and the other is on the South side of the site. There was also a pickup truck with some guys in construction vests doing something on the site when I rode by.

Also, it appears some kind of site prep or soil testing is going on in the very large empty lot at Medill and Talman in Logan Sqaure. This is a particularly large, ugly, and nasty lot for this area so hopefully this is a sign it will be built on soon.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 8:35 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Two construction trailers have been delivered to the site of the new Bulls Practice facility. Could they be getting ready to break ground? One is under the Paulina connector on East side of the site and the other is on the South side of the site. There was also a pickup truck with some guys in construction vests doing something on the site when I rode by.

Also, it appears some kind of site prep or soil testing is going on in the very large empty lot at Medill and Talman in Logan Square. This is a particularly large, ugly, and nasty lot for this area so hopefully this is a sign it will be built on soon.
Just the required environmental and hydrogeological work. Part of the assessment before projects go up. Don't want to build on something potentially hazardous without first cleaning it up, etc. They also did break ground on the site.
===================

Chicago Bulls break ground on state-of-the-art practice facility

CHICAGO (FOX 32 News) -
The Chicago Bulls broke ground on a new, state-of-the-art practice facility next to the United Center Monday afternoon.

The project is completely funded by the Bulls, and is scheduled to be completed in time to kick off the NBA regular season in 2014.

The Bulls have practiced at the Berto Center in Deerfield since 1992.

Mayor Rahm Emanuel spoke at the groundbreaking ceremony on Monday, citing how the Bulls organization's investments in the Near West Side have developed the area into great center for tourism, local businesses, schools and residents.

http://www.myfoxchicago.com/story/22...#ixzz2aBaTAqHN

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 8:53 PM

Well, looks like no potential high rise on the corner of Clark & Belmont But at least they look to be doing something on that corner that could be good for the community if done right (what good is that dunkin donuts and parking lot doing?).

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20130...etail-possible

Last edited by marothisu; Jul 26, 2013 at 9:05 PM.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
===================

Chicago Bulls break ground on state-of-the-art practice facility
Hopefully this spurs other development in the area. I have seen proposals for stuff not far away floating around. Even if it doesn't, at least it helps the urbanity of the area and not look as much like a wasteland.

Now, let's see what happens to that big entertainment center the owners of the Bulls and Blackhawks want to build on another lot..

What do you all think the chances of them building another CTA station in the area is somewhere between Warren and Adams (or even a little more south)?

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 9:37 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
What do you all think the chances of them building another CTA station in the area is somewhere between Warren and Adams (or even a little more south)?
Might happen if theres enough traffic to that area/stadiums. But I'd say limited. I could be wrong though, time will tell. Maybe if this does spur some more developments around that area then yes.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 9:48 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Well, looks like no potential high rise on the corner of Clark & Belmont But at least they look to be doing something on that corner that could be good for the community if done right (what good is that dunkin donuts and parking lot doing?).

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20130...etail-possible
^ Sucks, although I was never expecting a highrise to go through anyhow. At least they seem to have some plans for that intersection, which should invariable entail getting rid of that worthless Dunkin Donuts lot.

Too much land in Chicago's northside neighborhoods is underutilized. I mean, where are the developers? Why are parking lots in Ukrainian Village being developed while lots in Lakeview (I'm talking about you, old Dominick's site on Broadway) stay empty for years on end?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 10:00 PM

This-
"Blitz told him the company "understands the community would never want a building of that size," Thomas said, and the two chatted about the neighborhood's reaction to The Out Hotel Chicago proposal. "

NIBMYs in Lakeview and Lincoln Park are out of control. Developers know they don't even want to try to go toe to toe with the NIBMYs there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development