HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 12, 2013, 6:31 AM
TL;DR

Love Shake Shack but I wish they weren't going in such an awful area. Michigan itself is nice but I hate the surrounding blocks. It doesn't get enjoyable until you get north of Chicago.

I mean, it's marginally better than the area to the west around the Rock-n-Roll McDonald's but just barely.

Rather have Shake Shack in the East Loop personally.

Old Posted May 12, 2013, 6:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Rather have Shake Shack in the East Loop personally.

If you mean Lakeshore East area, then that area needs a lot more stuff. It's so incredibly boring there, especially for non residents, it's not even funny. The area honestly reminds me of a gated community suburb with amenities there but not much else outside of it. Just one reason I would never move there as of now.

Old Posted May 12, 2013, 12:34 PM
The City

I guess I need to try this 'shake shack' place, because everyone here seems to be so in love with it. In a city full of burger joints, and in a forum full of people who tend to hate fast food type places, this joint must be pretty damn special to be getting all these accolades...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 12, 2013, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I guess I need to try this 'shake shack' place, because everyone here seems to be so in love with it. In a city full of burger joints, and in a forum full of people who tend to hate fast food type places, this joint must be pretty damn special to be getting all these accolades...
Its good to have once or twice, but it is far short of remarkable. Think of it as a more expensive, slightly less degrading version of Five Guys. A decent burger, fries and a shake will sent you back $15 or so.

After 10 months in NYC I have yet to find a burger joint that can compare to what Chicago offers.

Old Posted May 12, 2013, 5:17 PM

The landmark building, The Three Arts Club, appears that it will be renovated for reuse as a furniture gallery and a restaurant, per a recent neighborhood mailing I received. This is currently a vacant building so any life here will be nice. I hope it is a successful renovation as it really is a nice building. I also hope they can figure out a way to internalize a fire escape route and remove the exterior staircase to really take it back to its original form.

Sources: http://webapps.cityofchicago.org/lan...htm?lanId=1435, http://www.chicagoarchitecture.info/...Coast/Area.php

Old Posted May 12, 2013, 5:27 PM
The City

^ Awesome! Definitely better than it being used as a mausoleum

Old Posted May 12, 2013, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Awesome! Definitely better than it being used as a mausoleum
Yes -- WAY better than a mausoleum, although that proposal fit Brendan Reilly's idea of urban liveliness/absence of pedestrian "traffic" so well that I'm surprised he didn't approve it and build it himself.

But what's a "furniture gallery?" A retail furniture store? If so, where will customers park, load purchases, etc. -- or is it meant to be a Merchandise Mart-type showroom space?

Old Posted May 12, 2013, 8:01 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiPsy View Post
Yes -- WAY better than a mausoleum, although that proposal fit Brendan Reilly's idea of urban liveliness/absence of pedestrian "traffic" so well that I'm surprised he didn't approve it and build it himself.

But what's a "furniture gallery?" A retail furniture store? If so, where will customers park, load purchases, etc. -- or is it meant to be a Merchandise Mart-type showroom space?
Most people get newly purchased furniture delivered, especially (I imagine) the type of clientele who buy their furniture at galleries in the Gold Coast

Old Posted May 12, 2013, 8:15 PM

Ah, that makes sense -- thanks

Old Posted May 12, 2013, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Yep, although I wish a little bit of commercial space would be part of it. I also have to wonder what the hell is up with people in so many neighborhoods of Chicago:

Honestly. 25 units...25-50 extra people living in the area with no commercial and people are worried about this? GTFO. I'm sorry but NIMBYs really piss me off sometimes.
There was no NIMBY'ism with this project. When it came up for review, there was no objection from those that attended the review; actually the only objection was that it would have to be rezoned residential. Some people did not want that, but the owner of the land stated that he has tried for years to find tenants and could not find it.

Not every street needs to (or even possibly can be) be like Broadway between Diversey and Belmont...

Old Posted May 12, 2013, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
If you mean Lakeshore East area, then that area needs a lot more stuff. It's so incredibly boring there, especially for non residents, it's not even funny. The area honestly reminds me of a gated community suburb with amenities there but not much else outside of it. Just one reason I would never move there as of now.
Now here, is where I totally agree...I work in Lakeshore East, and god is it boring...almost depressing.

What I dont like about this area (and same thing down on Rooselvelt Rd) is that some of the new devlopement seems to be sitting way back off the street...this creates a somewhat sleepy "suburban" feel to the area, despite being only blocks from the Loop. The Marianos has made it better, the Aqua building and the steakhouse have made it better, but there needs to be more.

Old Posted May 12, 2013, 9:33 PM

That is really awesome to hear on the 3 Arts Club. The best part about the showroom concept, is that those great interior spaces can now be enjoyed by the general public.

Old Posted May 12, 2013, 10:47 PM

Is American Junkie officially open? Some trashy girl I went to college with was tagged in some pictures there.

Old Posted May 12, 2013, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjp View Post
Is American Junkie officially open? Some trashy girl I went to college with was tagged in some pictures there.
Well, is she in the construction industry?

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 3:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link N. Parker View Post
There was no NIMBY'ism with this project. When it came up for review, there was no objection from those that attended the review; actually the only objection was that it would have to be rezoned residential. Some people did not want that, but the owner of the land stated that he has tried for years to find tenants and could not find it.

Not every street needs to (or even possibly can be) be like Broadway between Diversey and Belmont...
I'm going off the articles I read. They said it was met with objection by a few people. And really? The place it's going to replace is essentially abandoned. 25 units is not going to create any sort of large problems in that area of any kind.

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 3:40 AM

Quote:
Now here, is where I totally agree...I work in Lakeshore East, and god is it boring...almost depressing.

What I dont like about this area (and same thing down on Rooselvelt Rd) is that some of the new devlopement seems to be sitting way back off the street...this creates a somewhat sleepy "suburban" feel to the area, despite being only blocks from the Loop. The Marianos has made it better, the Aqua building and the steakhouse have made it better, but there needs to be more.
Yes exactly. They need some normal bars there and eateries, not necessarily restaurants (especially expensive ones).

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjp View Post
It's been officially open for 1.5-2 months. Their soft opening was on St. Patty's Day weekend...which was almost 2 months ago.

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 12:21 PM
The City

Quote:

I'm not sure which developments are 'way back off the street', in fact I can't think of a single one. Lakeshore East is a fine neighborhood, what it needs is some 'breaking in' of the sterility, that's all. That will take time--it's such a new neighborhood that it's hard to achieve that.

One thing that comes to my mind is from a rendering of the GEMS World Academy posted by Tom Servo in another thread. I would love to see some of those drab concrete staircases going up to the street level decorated with some artwork from local artists. While I don't think the population in this area would be in favor of murals (I could be wrong), perhaps some public art adorning spaces such as this could be a step in the right direction.

Also, lets not forget the LSE is still a work in progress. A lot of vacant lots left to fill..

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyrview View Post
Both places will add crazy amounts of street life to the area. Every Shake Shack in NYC is completely gangbusters, with lines wrapping around the block. Whenever i'm homesick, I go grab a 'Shack-ago dog.' it's incredible.
Are you being serious?

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 5:33 PM
The City

^ If 'Shake Shack' adds gangbusters streetlife to the area, I'll eat my underwear.

Chicago has plenty of burger/shake joints. I can't imagine people waiting in long lines for this. New York is different--people get more caught up in the hype over stuff because there are a lot of tools in New York who are all about 'doing the New York thing'. My observation has long been that Chicagoans are different. Another example is the Magnolia Bakery shop in Block 37. Don't get me wrong, it's a fine bakery, but it's not nearly as crowded, not even close, as the original in New York. Again, in New York it's all about the "OMG that's from Sex in the City I have to go!" thing that draws the crowds in long lines just to eat a bunch of cupcakes.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development