HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Sep 16, 2013, 4:34 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Great update, timbad. Thanks for the comprehensive coverage.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Sep 16, 2013, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
Great update, timbad. Thanks for the comprehensive coverage.
Yes, thanks timbad. I enjoy seeing your updates.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 1:46 PM

UCSF taking 30,000sf at 499 Illinois for endocrinology clinic and research. That building is now 82% leased or under negotiation.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...224053331.html

Old Posted Sep 23, 2013, 5:52 AM
heavy user of walkability

weekend update

from around the horn... the public safety building looked like it was getting the structural support for the metallic screen that will frame the glass wall:

jumping over to block 13W ('Sol'), stalks of rebar have shot up recently, representing that parcel's first appearance above sidewalk level:

now that the north side (along the alleyway facing block 2) of block 3 has been fully uncovered, I'm not quite as excited about it as when I could glimpse just the terracotta-colored tiles, but it looks like the rendering, overall not too bad:

on the other side of the alley, the south-facing side of the BMRs on block 2 is now uncovered:

closer-up:

China Basin St is no longer a dirt road west of Fourth (block 5 on the right, block 11 in the distance):

here is the new UCSF building as seen from across 16th St looking northeast:

...and looking northwest, from which angle you can see the L-shape of the building:

the Saitowitz building on 20th is almost done, and its next-door neighbor on the corner with Illinois is getting a facelift (nice, it needed it, but also too bad - I was hoping they would raze and replace that one outright, especially since it sits at a gateway to future Pier 70 complex):

Old Posted Sep 23, 2013, 2:52 PM
She needs her space

I kinda like the north side of Block 3, and props if it looks like the rendering. I think in similar fashion, 38 Dolores turned out much like its rendering...so at the very least we can all say we weren't mislead. Nothing worse than a decent rendering and a negative reality that has no resemblance. Nothing better than a decent rendering and an even better reality, but how often does that happen?

Mission Bay is really coming together like a whole new city coming out of the ground.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2013, 10:04 PM

Drove by on I-280 a couple times when I was down there two weeks ago. It is weird how in the pics etc, this all looks pretty small scale for some reason. In person it was a much larger scale development! I was impressed.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 1:34 AM
She needs her space

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtraveler View Post
Drove by on I-280 a couple times when I was down there two weeks ago. It is weird how in the pics etc, this all looks pretty small scale for some reason. In person it was a much larger scale development! I was impressed.
4-5 tower cranes, billions of dollars UC at any given time, thousands of units at any given time, new roads, sewers and utilities, major players like UCSF and Public Safety, top tier local architects involved in the design, a relatively new light rail line that goes right through all of this - yes, this is a major construction site that shifts more momentum to this side of the city. It will be even more crazy when the Giants start their China Basin redevelopment and Forest City starts its Indian Basin redevelopment on either side of Mission Bay/Dogpatch.

Mission Bay as a whole flies under the radar relative to the scope of the overall master-planned project and how it relates in scale to the city it's being built in, but there are few more impactful/large by SF or $ invested construction sites anywhere in the country.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 11:19 PM

suppose this can go here as another MB 'edge' project... this is just across the freeway/Caltrain tracks from MB, on the NE slope of Potrero Hill, near where the Kaiser office building was going to go

Old Posted Sep 28, 2013, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
suppose this can go here as another MB 'edge' project... this is just across the freeway/Caltrain tracks from MB, on the NE slope of Potrero Hill, near where the Kaiser office building was going to go
Wasn't the Kaiser MOB to be on 16th St? This is on 17th.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2013, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cv94117 View Post
Wasn't the Kaiser MOB to be on 16th St? This is on 17th.
yes, it's not the same location, it is near it

Old Posted Sep 29, 2013, 10:10 AM

today was able to venture into what we can't really call no-man's-land anymore...

here is the long view down Long Bridge St, with block 12 piles on the left and block 11 on the right (and if you are thinking to yourself, 'but wait, isn't that what block 11 looked like like 4-5 months ago?' I think you would be right. I see people working on it, but can't discern any progress from any vantage point I have)

farther up the street, Long Bridge has now had its roadbed poured up past the dog run. rebar forest of block 13W on the left:

from almost the same location, but showing the curve which marks the western end of block 5:

China Basin St now has sidewalks on its south side (looking west from Fourth, block 5 on the right)

and looking north up Fourth:

Old Posted Sep 30, 2013, 3:26 PM
She needs her space

Just to add to the timbad photo collection (taken 9-29):

Mission Bay shots:

Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 2:56 AM

new baby cranes

over the weekend Mommy and Daddy Crane had twins! so now maybe block 11 will move along faster, and block 5 even faster than it had been

and since I was home from work a little earlier than usual, here a gratuitous shot south down Fourth, which is looking more and more like a real street all the time:

Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 4:07 AM
testify

yeah, i think i see a pedestrian a few blocks down on the left there.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy as pie View Post
yeah, i think i see a pedestrian a few blocks down on the left there.
don't read too much into that - I do tend to avoid taking pics when there are people in the shot (I'm weird that way). there is more foot traffic on Fourth than one would expect, given that only one residential building is completed and occupied.

something that didn't dawn on me until recently is that I am liking how the neighborhood will likely end up having a 'layered' effect, with Third St being an active transport and probably entertainment corridor, Fourth being neighborhood lively, but calmer, and the streets to the west being quiet residential.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2013, 6:33 AM

aerials

a few aerial shots of the area from this morning:

Old Posted Oct 3, 2013, 7:31 AM
testify

wow, fantastic shots!

Old Posted Oct 4, 2013, 4:44 AM

originals

here are the original sizes of the aerials:

IMG_2818 by timbad, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 4, 2013, 4:51 PM
Only Mostly Dead

What a great perspective. We get a much better idea of exactly where the action is, and where there's still plenty of room for more. Thanks again, timbad. No one covers MB as well as you.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Oct 26, 2013, 5:39 PM

end of an era

just back from a couple weeks' vacation, on my walk yesterday I see that the warehouse adjacent to the traffic circle - a.k.a. The Last (Building) Remnant of Old Mission Bay - was in the process of disappearing.

although this probably won't be obvious or mean much to those who don't frequent the area, the sudden lack of mass there is a startling change to sightlines and spatial perception.

anyway, looking east from the traffic circle (the remaining southern portion of the warehouse is on the right. the demolished section extended to where the excavator is, on the left. block 13 rising in the distance):

closer-up views... the end of what's left:

the raised concrete base is still there:

looking 'end-on', i.e., north-to-south:

in hindsight, I suppose I should have expected this pretty soon, since, with part of block 12 under construction, they are probably going to have to put the rest of Channel St in with its new alignment, and the warehouse (at least the half they are currently removing) was in the way. (you can see where Channel will connect with the traffic circle in the first photo above)

I feel very sorry for the taggers who are losing a massive canvas for their work. OK, not really so much.

Last edited by timbad; Oct 26, 2013 at 6:21 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development