HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 26, 2021, 4:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoshvilli View Post
I badly want the spos' back but I hate this shared team concept. Hopefully they're just easing their way into moving the team permanently. Sucks for Tampa fans though.
I think whichever city actually gets a new stadium started first will end up with the team permanently. I can't see the Rays owner footing the bill for 2 parks, and I can't see either city fronting stadium projects for half a season each. I don't care what kind of spin the team puts on the other uses of the stadium, you aren't going to replace half a season of MLB crowds (and revenue) with those events.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2021, 5:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
I think whichever city actually gets a new stadium started first will end up with the team permanently. I can't see the Rays owner footing the bill for 2 parks, and I can't see either city fronting stadium projects for half a season each. I don't care what kind of spin the team puts on the other uses of the stadium, you aren't going to replace half a season of MLB crowds (and revenue) with those events.
I haven't heard any new stadium news in Montreal in a while. Maybe its in the works and they're keeping it hush.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2021, 7:31 AM

Quote:
I haven't heard any new stadium news in Montreal in a while. Maybe its in the works and they're keeping it hush.
That would mean Montreal would have to get an MLB team back in the MLB and we all know that's not happening at least any time soon

Old Posted Sep 26, 2021, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tg11 View Post
That would mean Montreal would have to get an MLB team back in the MLB and we all know that's not happening at least any time soon
Go back a page and read the article I linked to

Old Posted Sep 27, 2021, 6:53 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
I badly want the spos' back but I hate this shared team concept. Hopefully they're just easing their way into moving the team permanently. Sucks for Tampa fans though.
It would suck for Tampa but that's the nature of professional sports in North America. Teams pack up and leave all the time. I'm not a fan of sharing teams either but it could very well pan out the way you say. Montreal and Toronto both in the AL East? That's how it should have been in the first place. Hopefully we'll see this in the not too distant future:

American League East

Toronto Blue Jays
Montreal Expos
Boston Red Sox
New York Yankees
Baltimore Orioles

Old Posted Sep 27, 2021, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
It would suck for Tampa but that's the nature of professional sports in North America. Teams pack up and leave all the time. I'm not a fan of sharing teams either but it could very well pan out the way you say. Montreal and Toronto both in the AL East? That's how it should have been in the first place. Hopefully we'll see this in the not too distant future:

American League East

Toronto Blue Jays
Montreal Expos
Boston Red Sox
New York Yankees
Baltimore Orioles
Tampa Bay Rays moving away from Tampa to Montreal...I can't see it. If a team is going to leave their city for possible relocation it will probably be the Oakland Athletics as well

Old Posted Sep 27, 2021, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Tampa Bay Rays moving away from Tampa to Montreal...I can't see it. If a team is going to leave their city for possible relocation it will probably be the Oakland Athletics as well
Again, are you reading any of the links posted in this thread?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2021, 1:20 PM

But besides all of that, the Blue Jays have the Yankees starting tomorrow and basically it is a must win series especially given the Wild Card race. For the Blue Jays to have any chance of being a Wild Card team, they would have to sweep the Yankees here and the Red Sox would have to win their games.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2021, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
Again, are you reading any of the links posted in this thread?
Knowledgeable posting is an option here.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2021, 11:25 PM

Blue Jays did their part, unfortunately neither the former Expos or the future Expos could win their games to force tie breakers, and the Jays run is over.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2021, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Oakland A's are moving to Vegas they are deciding between 3 sites for a new ballpark in Vegas right now as Oakland saving their ballpark deal looks unlikely. If there's MLB expansion i would think it would be Nashville and Charlotte as MLB presence in the growing US south is very small.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2021, 4:09 AM

Super heartbreaking foe Toronto!

Old Posted Oct 4, 2021, 4:11 AM

It's 2021 and Thunder Bay STILL doesn't have an MBL team. It's almost as bad as the NHL at this point.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2021, 6:43 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Well at this point it's not only a partial move. First half of the season would be in Tampa and the second half in Montreal.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2021, 6:44 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Super heartbreaking foe Toronto!
They likely would have won the division if they'd been in Toronto the whole season. Playing in Dunedin and Buffalo hurt them. They were a .500 team there but had a 26-11 record in Toronto.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2021, 5:46 PM

Sucks y'all had to go out like that yesterday

Old Posted Oct 4, 2021, 6:12 PM

Quote:
They likely would have won the division if they'd been in Toronto the whole season. Playing in Dunedin and Buffalo hurt them. They were a .500 team there but had a 26-11 record in Toronto.
Or you know, if they'd actually had a bullpen for the first two months of the season. Statistically baseball has one of the slimmest home field advantages of any sport, and every other visiting team had to deal with the same shitty conditions in Florida and Buffalo.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
Or you know, if they'd actually had a bullpen for the first two months of the season. Statistically baseball has one of the slimmest home field advantages of any sport, and every other visiting team had to deal with the same shitty conditions in Florida and Buffalo.
Or if Springer hadn't missed over half the season. Or Cavan out for the last month or whatever. Or Grichuk stepping on Gurriel's hand in the middle of his hot streak with a week left. I do put a lot on the fact they were "home" in 3 different locations though. Those were still road games for the other teams, but Dunedin and Buffalo were more home to some of the opposing teams rather than the Jays. I think if the Jays had been home all year, it wouldn't be a discussion of how close to the wild card they were, but how close to the division crown.

It's kind of like 1987, and to a lesser extent 1988 and 1990, where you are looking for where that 1 or 2 extra wins would have come from. You can drive yourself crazy running the what if scenarios lol

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 3:50 PM
I am the law!

91 wins has earned a berth in the ALCS (not ALDS) many times. It's nuts it wasn't enough to earn a wild card spot. There are some really bad teams in MLB.

It's unfortunate. The potential was there to go deep in the playoffs. A couple key players were on 1 year contracts too.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 4:04 PM
I am the law!

Quote:

American League East

Toronto Blue Jays
Montreal Expos
Boston Red Sox
New York Yankees
Baltimore Orioles
Teams definitely don't pack up and leave all the time. There's 440 years between the 4 teams posted above and only one relocation. It is strongly discouraged by voting members because it reflects poorly on the business end. It's the last resort when all other options have failed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada