HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 6:42 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Indeed. I don't even recognize many of the shows and bands mentioned on this thread because I guess I am just too over the hill (born 1969). My prime TV watching days were done by the mid eighties, and the last 'new' musical genre that I recall getting really into was grunge.

Heck, we only had one B&W tv for years, and when I was living in Edmonton (72-74), we only received 3 channels (CTV, CBC, Radio-Canada). Romper Room, Mr. Dressup, Friendly Giant, Sesame Street, Mr. Rogers, Rocket Robin Hood, and the Flintstones. And Bugs Bunny/Roadrunner.

I had no idea you lived in Edmonton. Is that what led to your fascination with ugly architecture?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 6:51 PM
Great White Norf

O-tac, he lived there when Edmonton was still considered the better city of the two in Alberta
The city was probably planning for the Commonwealth Games and construction of ETS!

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
I've been trying to watch more older movies lately. Watched Klute a few days ago which featured a very young Donald Sutherland. It was fine.
My daughter (29 yo) and I watched the original Spartacus (with Kirk Douglas and Tony Curtis) and Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid the other day. She really enjoyed both and love the way outlaw story of the Hole in the Wall Gang was portrayed.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 6:57 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
My daughter (29 yo) and I watched the original Spartacus (with Kirk Douglas and Tony Curtis) and Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid the other day. She really enjoyed both and love the way outlaw story of the Hole in the Wall Gang was portrayed.
Haven't seen Spartacus in a very long time but I watched Butch Cassidy recently and thought it was ok! Others i've watched recently include Charade, The Conversation, and Blow Out. All really great.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 8:06 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Pong? Atari? Colecovision?
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 8:08 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Pong? Atari? Colecovision?
Yes, no, yes.

I still have a Colecovision somewhere in my basement, as well as a Commodore-64, complete with floppy disc and external tape drive.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 8:21 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I still have a Colecovision somewhere in my basement, as well as a Commodore-64, complete with floppy disc and external tape drive.
My dad still has our C-64. Won't part with it because it "will still be worth a lot in the future" especially with the floppy disc drive! But my parents also tend to keep e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g, so some day it will fall to me to find it a home.

I bought a Colecovision with birthday and Christmas money I'd saved up in the early 1980s. Still had it in 2020, sitting on a closet shelf unused for more than 35 years, but when I moved it was on the list of things to sell (including a bunch of D&D books I also still had ). I found a used game store that would take a look at it and had the right connector to link it to a modern flat screen, and amazingly, after a few fidgets, it still worked! Sold it and 4 or 5 games I had. Also found a taker for the D&D books. My wife didn't think I'd get anything for this stuff but appreciated the nice dinner it paid for.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 8:46 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
I had no idea you lived in Edmonton. Is that what led to your fascination with ugly architecture?
My dad worked for CNR, and he got transferred there. After 3 years, my mom gave him an ultimatum: move us all back to Montreal, or that she and us were going to move back to Montreal without him.

Edmonton was, back then, a bit of a culture shock to my UK-born, Montreal-raised mom.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 8:48 PM
The Vomit Bag.

my first computer

TRS-80 CoCo2 with 8K RAM!!!

mostly used to play this:

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 9:18 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I had both a VIC-20 and a Commodore 64. Can't remember which one I had first.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 9:26 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Vic20 was the forerunner to the Commodore 64

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Vic20 was the forerunner to the Commodore 64
The VIC-20 was pitched by William Shatner.

Video Link

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Man. You guys who grew up with less than six TV channels are the true OGs.

When I was a kid in the 80s I only had channels 2-13, and I thought I had it rough. My parents' TV only went up to 13 so that even when basic cable pushed beyond channel 13, we didn't have a device capable of viewing them until we got a new VCR maybe around 1989 or so?

Going out to the cottage meant only pulling in CTV, CKND (Global), MTN and CBC. It felt primitive

---

If I lived in a place like Toronto with a lot of channels available over the air I think I'd cut my cable package and just use rabbit ears like in ye olde days at the cottage. But alas, here in Winnipeg the OTA offerings are a little sparse. Basically CBC, Global and City, along with some sort of religious broadcaster. Apparently CTV is available too but I have no idea how to actually pull it in.
I grew up with cable in London, but my extended family all lived in rural Ontario and had antennas.

Some of my family lived in the North Bay area. They got MCTV (CBC on ch. 4 and CTV on ch. 10), and TVO on Ch. 6. In Sturgeon Falls you could also get Radio-Canada on Ch. 7. MCTV-CBC had quite a bit of non-CBC programming, they had The Price is Right. When my dad was a kid, there was no TV when he was really young, though Ch. 10 from North Bay signed on for the first time when he was about 9, and they could sometimes also get CKVR from Barrie. They moved to the Sault Ste. Marie area when he was in high school and they got their first colour station, WTOM from Cheboygan, Michigan. They bought a colour TV just to watch WTOM.

Other family lived between Belleville and Kingston, and they got a lot more channels, because of their proximity to the US border. The clear stations were CJOH (CTV) Ch. 6, CKWS (CBC) Ch. 11, and WWNY (CBS, plus secondary NBC) Ch. 7 from Watertown, NY. They also could get Ch. 3, 5, and 9 from Syracuse and Ch. 8, 10 and 13 from Rochester. They did not have a UHF antenna, but they later got a C-Band dish.

My mother grew up in Calgary, they had one channel initially, CFCN went on the air while she lived there so then they had two channels. Then when they moved to Ontario they had a full VHF dial - stations from Detroit, Cleveland, and Erie, plus the locals from London and Kitchener.

As a kid we went to a cottage in Muskoka, but there was a good slate of stations available with the rabbit ears - Global on Ch. 7, CKVR on Ch. 3, CFTO (CTV) on Ch. 21, and CHCH on Ch. 67. CBC was on both Ch. 8 and 16 but it did not come in reliably during the day, CKCO (CTV) was on Ch. 11 but also didn't come in that well.

I have cable where I live now, but it's provided by the landlord in all units. The area I live in gets very poor OTA reception because of terrain - Vancouver's signals all broadcast from Mount Seymour, but parts of Burnaby and New Westminster can't get reliable reception because of Burnaby Mountain being in the way. The only reliable signals in this part of Metro Vancouver are KVOS from Bellingham, and a religious station from the same area. If I didn't have landlord-provided cable I would still subscribe to cable on my own, if for no other reason than to be able to watch Jeopardy.

Last edited by manny_santos; Jan 27, 2022 at 10:11 PM.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 10:00 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresto View Post
Is that the villain from Rocket Robin Hood?

I thought it was an animated Bowl of Anuses.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 10:05 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Remember when we went to the toilet to actually.. poop?
Those were the days of magazines and newspapers. I still remember all my grandma's National Enquirers that I would read while in the bathroom. I may have also read a shampoo bottle once before.

Last edited by O-tacular; Jan 27, 2022 at 10:23 PM.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 10:10 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Our rooftop antenna was on a tall mast, and the rotator occasionally allowed us to pull in exotic signals.

In the winter and spring, a phenomenon called "e-skip" could occur, where the reflectivity of the "e layer" of the ionosphere would increase, allowing signals in the VHF TV spectrum to bounce back and forth to the surface of the Earth and dramatically increase the range of the TV signal.

This phenomenon was sporadic, seasonal, usually occurred early in the morning and could not be predicted, but occasionally we could pick up TV signals from the midwest USA and central Canada on our TV.

I clearly remember one time when I was about 12, I went down and turned on the TV to CKCW in Moncton to watch the Saturday morning cartoons. The channel was just starting to broadcast for the day, and Oh Canada was playing. I wasn't really paying much attention, then suddenly I heard the Star Spangled Banner playing too, so I perked up quickly, to find that the channel I was watching was actually in Sault-Ste-Marie ON, and the reception was strong enough that it was drowning out the signal from the Moncton station.

TV watching was an adventure back then.........
We had a giant Satellite dish in the early 90's. It would physically rotate to connect to the satellites and I ended up discovering that you could halt it in between and pick up pirated channels. Needless to say there were some adult content channels such as Playboy. That was pre-internet days.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 10:14 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
I remember them, apparently they were dropped by Macdonald’s after a lawsuit said that those characters were too similar to the characters in HR Puffnstuff, another one of my favourite childhood shows.

https://www.mashed.com/136474/how-mc...nd-characters/
Ah the good ol' days when children were sent to jail inside the maw of a giant burger monster:

Last edited by O-tacular; Jan 27, 2022 at 10:46 PM.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 10:16 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
We had a giant Satellite dish in the early 90's. It would physically rotate to connect to the satellites and I ended up discovering that you could halt it in between and pick up pirated channels. Needless to say there were some adult content channels such as Playboy. That was pre-internet days.
In those days it seemed like every single house had a pirated descrambler that allowed one to watch all of the pay channels for free.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 10:18 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
O-tac, he lived there when Edmonton was still considered the better city of the two in Alberta
The city was probably planning for the Commonwealth Games and construction of ETS!
Edmonton was only considered better in the dynasty years of the Oilers. I do give them points for filming some of SCTV there though.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 10:21 PM
Fake News

Quote:
My dad worked for CNR, and he got transferred there. After 3 years, my mom gave him an ultimatum: move us all back to Montreal, or that she and us were going to move back to Montreal without him.

Edmonton was, back then, a bit of a culture shock to my UK-born, Montreal-raised mom.
I can imagine. I wonder what it was like for my mom when she moved to Drumheller from Montreal to live with my dad.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada