HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 6:13 PM
TL;DR

Not a New Yorker, but I had the same thought while walking thru Riverline Park last week. Very similar to the NY waterfront developments, both in Queens and Brooklyn.

Also, the design is just much better than what we've gotten in the past in Chicago... compare this to Montgomery Ward Park at Kingsbury/Erie - very basic, generic, uninspired design there at a VERY similar site.

I think big developers now are realizing they need to up their landscape game. Sterling Bay hired James Corner for Lincoln Yards and Related has used Van Valkenburgh for several Chicago projects now. Kudos to Lendlease for hiring Hoerr Schaudt and keeping it local, though.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 3:50 AM
you know where I'll be

Just a random small piece of news on leasing progress at The Cooper - in Crain's article today on leadership change at the Chicago office of Lendlease, mention that it is now approximately 80% leased.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 1:53 PM

I can see the Cooper from where I live, and based on the completely unscientific observation of how many windows are lit, I'm going to say that sounds accurate.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 3:02 PM

Drumroll... Let's start the next high-rise!

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
Just a random small piece of news on leasing progress at The Cooper - in Crain's article today on leadership change at the Chicago office of Lendlease, mention that it is now approximately 80% leased.
And when the old post office comes on line - particularly if there' an exit onto Harrison - there will be thousands of workers two blocks away. Walk across the bridge and you're home.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 2:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Chicago View Post
And when the old post office comes on line - particularly if there' an exit onto Harrison - there will be thousands of workers two blocks away. Walk across the bridge and you're home.
And I have to assume Uber hires much younger than your average company, so far fewer people will be suburban commuters you'd have to assume based off that... Yes, I'm doing a lot of assuming so my hopeful side stays positive lol

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 2:39 PM

Every time I read about a new highrise breaking ground these days (1000M, Cirrus, Cascade, etc.), I think, these developers must know something that we don't. Maybe they have inside scoops on corporate relocations, so they know their new additions will be justified.

But with all the action happening in the southwest Loop with the Old Post Office opening, the BMO tower site preparations, and 601c buying up 801 S Canal, it surprises me that no other Southbank towers have broken ground. You would think that of the literal thousands of new employees who will be working in the area, some would like to be able to walk to work, and this development is a prime candidate for a place to live.

If the windows at night are any indication, Cooper is enjoying a healthy lease percentage. Where's the site prep for tower 2?

Anyway, just some thoughts this morning.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 4:57 PM

I imagine soon. Maybe our spies will report a soil tester on site. I hope they start on the tower to the west of The Cooper. Nice facade.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 7:35 PM

For what it's worth, there's a sign in front of the path that runs along the town homes on the west side of The Cooper that reads "Private Property - Not Part of Southbank Park - Temporarily Available to Public Until Construction Fall 2020."

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithakas View Post
For what it's worth, there's a sign in front of the path that runs along the town homes on the west side of The Cooper that reads "Private Property - Not Part of Southbank Park - Temporarily Available to Public Until Construction Fall 2020."
That sign has been there since the opening, and I always thought it was a way to absolutely protect themselves from any claim of public property.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebs View Post
Every time I read about a new highrise breaking ground these days (1000M, Cirrus, Cascade, etc.), I think, these developers must know something that we don't. Maybe they have inside scoops on corporate relocations, so they know their new additions will be justified.
I have a hunch that this could be the case with a few companies, but not sure. Anybody know this more for certain that some companies get data on expansions, relocations, etc before it happens?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 1:36 AM

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 2:12 PM

A few months back I saw an ad pop up for the tower directly west of the Cooper along the river, but then I never saw it again. I thought that was really curious. Hopefully there is an announcement on another tower within the next year.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2020, 5:17 PM
DENNAB

Is this project still U/C or did covid postpone it?

Would be nice to see some new shots.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2020, 5:50 PM
Development Shill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Is this project still U/C or did covid postpone it?

Would be nice to see some new shots.
The next tower isn't starting until the Fall at the earliest from what we saw last time around.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire View Post
The next tower isn't starting until the Fall at the earliest from what we saw last time around.
For what it's worth, some work began on the plot by Harrison and the River yesterday. They cleared out a bunch of small trees, have removed a small granite maker containing information about the River Walk and threw it in the bushes (nice!). And were digging little holes today. (I think that might have been workers removing the sprinkling system.) The sidewalk (and I think the Bike path) are closed off. Things seem to be happening.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Chicago View Post
For what it's worth, some work began on the plot by Harrison and the River yesterday. They cleared out a bunch of small trees, have removed a small granite maker containing information about the River Walk and threw it in the bushes (nice!). And were digging little holes today. (I think that might have been workers removing the sprinkling system.) The sidewalk (and I think the Bike path) are closed off. Things seem to be happening.
Nice to hear this things not dead.

That site that you said was being cleared is the site for the tallest tower of the development which is exciting

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCres View Post
Nice to hear this things not dead.

That site that you said was being cleared is the site for the tallest tower of the development which is exciting
Yes, exciting, except I can't find any recent renderings or other information. I hope the plan remains in place!

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 1:44 AM
Urbane observer

^Seems very unlikely that would be the next building to go up. More likely some infrastructure thing. It was Building E, further south, that was supposedly in for permits, but I've lost my inside source at Perkins+Will.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
^Seems very unlikely that would be the next building to go up. More likely some infrastructure thing. It was Building E, further south, that was supposedly in for permits, but I've lost my inside source at Perkins+Will.
I walked past this morning and they've blocked off a smaller plot within the larger one, using concrete barriers - also erecting a fence with gate along Harrison, but again just for that smaller area. There was a permit sign up, but the dog was pulling so I couldn't stop.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction