HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jul 18, 2023, 2:19 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Another mass timber building. Nice, I hope that trend is here to stay, the less concrete we have to pour the better.

I think you're right about the two smaller buildings, they're so small they really can't be anything except retail (that paved area next to the river looks like it would be the outdoor dining area).

Edit: Actually, taking a look back through the renderings, you can see in the background that building #2 and building #3 actually looks like a single 5 story apartment building. Also looks like they're taking over the little stub end of Myrtle Street by the bridge, which will make that a much nicer back entrance to the Pearl.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2023, 6:58 PM

They appear to be planning a second footbridge across the river, South of Myrtle, to connect with this path:

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.4425...5250?entry=ttu

But that's not part of this HDRC request.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2023, 3:27 PM

Wasn't sure if this really needed its own thread but this is the proposed 6-story apartment building that will sit between the Coopers row project that is under construction and the 8-story proposed Grove Hotel. It is being called "Coopers Row North"

"Local developer Oxbow Development Group — the real estate arm of Silver Ventures — is going before the Historic and Design Review Commission to get conceptual approval for Coopers Row North, a six-story apartment building at 1210 E. Elmira St. Currently a public parking lot, the project would add 75 units to the Tobin Hill area just steps away from the Pearl complex...About 9,000 square feet of commercial space is planned for the ground floor."

https://www.bizjournals.com/sananton...orth-hdrc.html

Old Posted Oct 18, 2023, 3:36 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWalk99 View Post
Wasn't sure if this really needed its own thread...

https://www.bizjournals.com/sananton...orth-hdrc.html

I say no. It's a 5-over-1 box with some balconies attached. Looks like it was designed in 1962, but with cheaper construction methods. Not worthy of being on the Riverwalk, or of having its own thread.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2023, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
I say no. It's a 5-over-1 box with some balconies attached. Looks like it was designed in 1962, but with cheaper construction methods. Not worthy of being on the Riverwalk, or of having its own thread.
The Pearl is a "vintage" complex, may I say. So all the designs on the new projects should look just like that. Not anything modern, it would look out of place! After all, the anchor piece of The Pearl is the beautiful, world renowned Hotel Emma!! Now, the project McCombs Enterprises is building is not in The Pearl, hence that project looks a little more modern.

I vote for a separate thread on North Cooper's Row or have one thread for Cooper's Row on Elmira and North Cooper's Row!

Go SAN ANTONIO Spurs Go!!!!

Old Posted Oct 19, 2023, 3:38 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeSAView View Post
The Pearl is a "vintage" complex, may I say. So all the designs on the new projects should look just like that. Not anything modern, it would look out of place! After all, the anchor piece of The Pearl is the beautiful, world renowned Hotel Emma!! Now, the project McCombs Enterprises is building is not in The Pearl, hence that project looks a little more modern.

I vote for a separate thread on North Cooper's Row or have one thread for Cooper's Row on Elmira and North Cooper's Row!

Go SAN ANTONIO Spurs Go!!!!
I'm actually good with a separate thread for any and all projects. I just don't like this one.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2023, 5:21 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

https://sanantonioreport.org/san-ant...lass-building/

Based on almost no evidence other than preliminary vibes I'm going to go ahead and declare this San Antonio's Erewhon.

Also in the past month or so they've demoed the old industrial building between Samuels Glass and the river. I assume it will be used as a parking lot for the Samuels Building, but maybe someone else has heard something to contrary.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2023, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep-SA-Lame View Post
https://sanantonioreport.org/san-ant...lass-building/

Based on almost no evidence other than preliminary vibes I'm going to go ahead and declare this San Antonio's Erewhon.

Also in the past month or so they've demoed the old industrial building between Samuels Glass and the river. I assume it will be used as a parking lot for the Samuels Building, but maybe someone else has heard something to contrary.
I love that this is getting developed. I lived down at the can plant for a while and the area was great back then...these new developments are game changers in my mind. Having something like this within walking distance for many of the residents will create even more demand for living down there, in my opinion.

from the biz journal article

"Emmer & Rye Hospitality Group plans to develop a new culinary destination at Pearl.

Billed as the largest development of its kind in the Southwest, Pullman Market will span 40,000 square feet and house four full-service restaurants.

The development, in the former Samuels Glass building, will also be home to quick casual concepts, an artisan butcher and a fishmonger program. Guests will have access to extensive beer and wine selections, as well as Texas-based produce and specialties, a seasonal bakery and a fresh pasta program.

Kevin Fink, one of Emmer & Rye's partners, said what's planned is a "unique culinary experience that represents all of Texas for locals and travelers alike." He added that it will “celebrate all things food."

The new market will be situated along Newell Avenue. Its restaurant lineup will include Fife & Farro, a family-friendly eatery specializing in homemade pizza and pasta, and Mezquite, a restaurant and mezcal bar.

Isidore, an elevated dining establishment, and Nicosi, an intimate dessert bar with 18 seats and a no-phone policy, will also have a presence at Pullman Market."

Old Posted Dec 16, 2023, 9:06 AM

About time! Sounds like a great project and even better location. I really don't know what's going on with HEB and building something in the core. Guess the numbers still don't add up for them. That being said, this project screams Pearl more than a HEB would.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2023, 2:21 PM
JACKinBeantown

The Boston Public Market is pretty cool. I hope this is just as successful.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bo...bx9q?entry=ttu

https://media.timeout.com/images/105310790/image.jpg

Old Posted Dec 17, 2023, 5:01 AM

https://readingterminalmarket.org/

I am hoping it is similar to the Reading Terminal Market in Philly. It is by far the best I have experienced,.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2024, 7:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
They appear to be planning a second footbridge across the river, South of Myrtle, to connect with this path:

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.4425...5250?entry=ttu

But that's not part of this HDRC request.
Oxbow Development Group plans new Pearl-area bridge over River Walk

https://www.bizjournals.com/sananton...4wqftzHxsudzxM

Quote:
A pedestrian bridge is planned for the Pearl area. It will be the first new connector between the two sides of the San Antonio River in more than a decade.

Oxbow Development Group — the real estate arm of Pearl owner Silver Ventures — is proposing a bridge on the southern side of Hotel Emma. It would connect to the group's future hotel across the river, a spot at 1210 E. Elmira St. that's currently a public parking lot. The firm is calling it "Brewmeister's Alley Bridge," seeking the Historic and Design Review Commission's approval for the 105-foot project.
Of course, the SABJ's statement that this will be the first bridge in more than a decade is false, as the Borden project built a new bridge last year. The SABJ is a pretty crappy news source, imo.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2024, 5:37 PM
James

I was just thinking that! ^^^

It's like when they say the Frost tower was the first new skyscraper in 30 years. I'm like hellooo... GH is right there and taller built in 2007.

But yes for a bridge right there. The location definitely needed one.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2024, 7:59 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
I was just thinking that! ^^^

It's like when they say the Frost tower was the first new skyscraper in 30 years. I'm like hellooo... GH is right there and taller built in 2007.

But yes for a bridge right there. The location definitely needed one.
I think the narrative was first office high rise built in that long.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2024, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Oxbow Development Group plans new Pearl-area bridge over River Walk

https://www.bizjournals.com/sananton...4wqftzHxsudzxM

Of course, the SABJ's statement that this will be the first bridge in more than a decade is false, as the Borden project built a new bridge last year. The SABJ is a pretty crappy news source, imo.
Technically, that part of the San Antonio River is not part of the Riverwalk. It technically ends at the Pearl/Grayson St.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2024, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Technically, that part of the San Antonio River is not part of the Riverwalk. It technically ends at the Pearl/Grayson St.
I would like you to technically re-read the quote I posted.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2024, 2:13 AM

Quote:
I would like you to technically re-read the quote I posted.
In the paywall version, they say the Riverwalk. I thought that’s what you were referencing.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2024, 4:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
In the paywall version, they say the Riverwalk. I thought that’s what you were referencing.
Hmm, maybe they edited it after I copy/pasted. Edit: Oh I see what you mean, in the article it doesn't say Riverwalk, it says what I quoted above.

Last edited by Spoiler; Jan 27, 2024 at 5:17 AM.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 8:21 PM

Quote:
“We’re now going to be using third-party equity,” Shown said. Silver Ventures will fund land acquisition and take on the primary risk for its projects, he added, but the firm won’t be the sole investor as in the past.
Quote:
...“I can say that we have about $600 [million] or $700 million worth of projects in the hopper, and you can do the math: If lenders are willing to lend 55%, then 45% of that number” is needed from investors.
https://sanantonioreport.org/silver-...opment-equity/

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 10:50 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Either this is really good news or really bad news. It would be really good news if investors indeed are dying to get a piece of the Pearl, and the pace of development might quicken if there's more capital available. Or it could be really bad news if Silver Ventures has no capital to invest and there aren't any investors interested in new projects, which would bring development on their remaining land to a total halt. Though it sounds like they're also trying to raise money by selling off shares of existing buildings as well, so surely they can raise at least some capital.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio