HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jul 20, 2022, 9:58 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppet View Post
Looks like ground beef with mashed potatoes on top.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2022, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
I'm not much of a beer person but just for my own knowledge, what's wrong with IPAs? Or is it just that you prefer a wider selection?
My guess is he's like me---I find IPAs too bitter, I really don't like them. I have yet to have an IPA that I like, but I feel I've had enough of them that I don't want to keep trying different ones to see if there is indeed one that I would like. And they seem to have been a big trend some years ago.

I like beers every once in a while, but I'm more into cocktails/wine/cider/mead. Even with meals. Like right now, because it's summer, I like a refreshing caipirinha or sangria with my meal. Beers can be too heavy with a meal, IMO... I do like sour beers, or a lambic, by themselves, or with meals on occasion.

~ Charles Bukowski

Last edited by sopas ej; Jul 20, 2022 at 10:20 PM.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2022, 10:50 PM

IPAs were the rage a decade ago. They still fill a niche in most bars these days for a high ABV beer. I think the best IPAs have a citrus profile, as it reduces the bitterness some.

Yesterday, it turns out, was national daquiri day--we even got a t-shirt out of it from Idle Hour in North Hollywood. Anyway, these days I'm into ciders, so yesterday (after the surprise obligatory daquiri, of course), I had a chili guava cider. It was perfect for sitting outside on a warm evening.

Shephard's pie is disgusting. Might as well throw all the ingredients into a blender and serve it with a spoon and bib.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 12:42 AM
Dryer lint inspector

I think the hazy/ New England IPA's tone down the bitterness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
My guess is he's like me---I find IPAs too bitter, I really don't like them. I have yet to have an IPA that I like, but I feel I've had enough of them that I don't want to keep trying different ones to see if there is indeed one that I would like. And they seem to have been a big trend some years ago.

I like beers every once in a while, but I'm more into cocktails/wine/cider/mead. Even with meals. Like right now, because it's summer, I like a refreshing caipirinha or sangria with my meal. Beers can be too heavy with a meal, IMO... I do like sour beers, or a lambic, by themselves, or with meals on occasion.
I had one IPA, some brewery in Chicago that was palatable. Otherwise it's an arms race of hoppinesss. I do appreciate a good Boston Sour though. Can't do wine...migraines.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 12:51 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
I think the best IPAs have a citrus profile, as it reduces the bitterness some.
That makes no sense, grapefruit lime and lemon are all very tangy

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 1:05 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

This question is like “How many Kohls does your city have?” for North America. Or at least the old midwest and east coast…
mit’s like I dunno, are we going to count the 900 strip mall bars that arent really any less authentic “Irish Pubs” as neighborhood corner bars that also have live Irish music and serve Guinness?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 2:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McAvity View Post
That makes no sense, grapefruit lime and lemon are all very tangy
Grapefruit is bitter, but I consider limes and lemons sour, and oranges are usually neither bitter nor sour. I recently had a blood orange IPA with only 25 IBU.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 2:58 AM

Today at work I had a flashback to successfully ordering Killian's Irish Red when I was underage at a defunct bar called McGee's Irish Pub in Knoxville,TN. I looked it up and the green awning is still there but the bar is now some place called "Jody's on the Strip":
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.9563...7i16384!8i8192

Killians was part of that 1990s Irish Bar push that coincided with the introduction of Guinness into the U.S. market.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MknaJG_vfuU

I don't think I've seen Killians for sale, anywhere, in 15+ years, but I recall it being pretty popular for about 3 years.

Another "red" beer from the 90s was Red Dog. Huge marketing push...nowhere to be found today.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGtA-8pYieM

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 3:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
Red Dog
...of course the biggest beer dog of the 1980s was Spuds Mackenzie, that symbol of American virility, despite his Scottish last name, and narration by Englishman Robin Leach.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFYUrbVJ_7Q

It seem like Red Dog tried to leverage the "red" momentum established by Killian's Irish Red AND the legacy of Spuds Mackenzie.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 3:10 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:

Food of the gods, heathens!
Quote:
Im telling the fucking queen on you lot
your posts are appreciated. Now I want the UK version of shepherd's pie

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 3:11 AM

IPAs are popular because they're so easy to make. That's what someone starts with when homebrewing. Lagers are harder to do, because they take three times as long, and have to be done cold instead of hot.

A brewery with a lot of stouts, lagers, pilsners, mild ales, sours, and so on, shows a general expertise. It's like a 5-tool player in baseball. A brewery that can only do IPAs is like a baseball player that can only hit home runs. That's nice and all, but there are clearly limitations.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 5:08 AM
if I sang out of tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Looks like ground beef with mashed potatoes on top.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 5:11 AM
if I sang out of tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
your posts are appreciated. Now I want the UK version of shepherd's pie
Thanks, there are monstrosities out there beyond our heavenly shores - come on, who puts in corn??? Or mushrooms? You get publicly whipped here for things like that, possibly even a telling off.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 8:46 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Almost all of the pubs/breweries here are Irish (though we label them “Irish Newfoundland”, for all the obvious reasons), with the main tourist ones being O’Reilley’s, Celtic Hearth/Talamh an Eisc, Bridie Molloy’s, Greensleeves, and Yellowbelly. The faves for locals are probably The Ship, Broderick’s, and Republic. Everything here is authentic with one glaring exception: Paddy’s Day is a holiday here and the downtown core has a full week of parties/sales/activities with all the tacky green shit you’d expect from people who aren’t Irish, which we’re of course not, even if they think we all still look and talk like we’re from Waterford or Wexford when they visit lol

The only pubs that aren’t really Irish are Duke of Duckworth (English), Rose and Thistle (English with Scottish decor and these days I think officially LGBT), and the various cocktail lounges like Grapevine.

Beyond that there are also lots of bars and clubs and dance halls. None of those are particularly anything but they will often play a couple dance remixes of Irish/Newfoundland songs each night.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 11:28 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
Today at work I had a flashback to successfully ordering Killian's Irish Red when I was underage at a defunct bar called McGee's Irish Pub in Knoxville,TN. I looked it up and the green awning is still there but the bar is now some place called "Jody's on the Strip":
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.9563...7i16384!8i8192

Killians was part of that 1990s Irish Bar push that coincided with the introduction of Guinness into the U.S. market.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MknaJG_vfuU

I don't think I've seen Killians for sale, anywhere, in 15+ years, but I recall it being pretty popular for about 3 years.

Another "red" beer from the 90s was Red Dog. Huge marketing push...nowhere to be found today.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGtA-8pYieM
Funny I havent seen it in a long time either. In college 2000-06 I remember quarter (.25) Killians nights - served in slightly smaller than an American pint plastic cups. I’d buy as many as I could carry…

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 12:47 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
This question is like “How many Kohls does your city have?” for North America. Or at least the old midwest and east coast…
I don't think Kohl's has stores in Canada.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 12:51 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Thanks, there are monstrosities out there beyond our heavenly shores - come on, who puts in corn??? Or mushrooms? You get publicly whipped here for things like that, possibly even a telling off.
What you've posted is quite different from our "pâté chinois":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P%C3%A2t%C3%A9_chinois

Though the English versions of menus here always translate "pâté chinois" as "shepherd's pie".

I guess some people are probably quite surprised with what shows up when they order it.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 1:07 PM

I mean, corn is a New World thing. Still sorta "exotic" in context of European cuisine. In Germany, it's still associated with animal feed. "Futter" rather than "Essen".

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 1:15 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I mean, corn is a New World thing. Still sorta "exotic" in context of European cuisine. In Germany, it's still associated with animal feed. "Futter" rather than "Essen".
If I recall though, it's not the same corn over there that people eat over here.

The animal feed corn exists here too.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post

I had a German uncle who didn’t eat corn because of that. Big no-no in Quebec.

Last time I was in Paris, there were African women selling roasted corn cobs from a bag tied to their boubou tunic.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions