HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 10:18 PM

Post Your City Transit Map and Data

Let's post the our cities (or any city whatsoever) transit map and some data. I'll start with:

São Paulo

Maps are now unified and bring the two systems together Metrô (subway) and CPTM (railway). They're fully integrated and passengers don't pay extra for connections between them and the bus system which is massive. Unlike many cities, there is no different fees due distance. It costs R$ 4.40 (US$ 0.80).

The system serves São Paulo metro area (22 million inh.) and Jundiaí metro area (750k inh., northwards). Some data (2019):

Metrô
Lines: 6
Stations: 91
Lenght: 104 km
Daily Traffic: 5.3 million passengers
Speed (avg-max): 60 km/h - 87 km/h

CPTM
Lines: 7
Stations: 96
Lenght: 273 km
Daily Traffic: 3.2 million passengers
Speed (avg-max): 60 km/h - 90 km/h

8.5 million passengers handled every day, 377 km of tracks and 187 stations.

The bus system (city proper only) handles 8.9 million passengers daily and counts with 15,000 buses.

Projects:

- Line 2 Green: 8 stations under constuction, 8.3 km of tracks (today it's 14 stations and 14.7 km of tracks); to be delivered in 2026;

- Line 9 Emerald: 1 station under constuction, 2.3 km of tracks (today it's 20 stations and 35.1 km of tracks); to be delivered in 2023;

- Line 15 Silver: 2 stations under constuction, 2.8 km of tracks (today it's 11 stations and 14.6 km of tracks); to be delivered in 2025;

- Line 6 Orange: under construction (15 stations, 15.3 km); to be delivered in 2025;

- Line 17 Gold: under construction (8 stations, 7.7 km); to be delivered in 2024.

- There are also two lines on project: Line 19 Sky Blue and Line 20 Pink.

With those additions on the next years, São Paulo system will soon be above 400 km of tracks with 220 stations. After the Covid recovery, those expansions will probably attract more passengers into the system, bring daily numbers close to 10 million.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 10:32 PM

Oh my. The system has really grown of late.

I remember flying into Guarulhos in 2013 and taking a private motor coach to Tatuapé then the train to Sé then to Jabaquara to take another private motor coach to Guarujá.

After a few days on the beach, I backpacked back into SP, stayed in a hostel by Paraíso. I think the Yellow Line had just opened over to Faria Lima at the time.

Great system. The stations were amazing and the headway between trains was soooo short.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard_L View Post
Oh my. The system has really grown of late.

I remember flying into Guarulhos in 2013 and taking a private motor coach to Tatuapé then the train to Sé then to Jabaquara to take another private motor coach to Guarujá.

After a few days on the beach, I backpacked back into SP, stayed in a hostel by Paraíso. I think the Yellow Line had just opened over to Faria Lima at the time.

Great system. The stations were amazing and the headway between trains was soooo short.
Indeed. Things grew a lot. I moved to São Paulo around the same time (Oct 2012). Line 5 Purple, for instance, it was only an isolated piece in the extreme southwest back then. It opened in 2018. Now it runs parallel to the Line 4 Yellow which is now finally complete. The Line 15 Silver, the monorail, finally opened as well as the Line 13 Jade link Guarulhos Airport to central stations in Brás and Luz.

But yes, stations are very clean and big, trains are wide and headways are ridiculous. During the entire peak times (which is big in São Paulo), headways might go under 90 seconds. And even in the valleys, headways are no longer than 4-5 minutes. That makes the system incredibly reliable. On the other hand, it makes us impatient: when I go to Europe, I find that even in London, Paris and Berlin, trains take too long to arrive.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2022, 6:26 AM
if I sang out of tune

London

Bus - squiggle squiggle

Tube + rail - approx 660 stations. Tube lines are a solid colour, Overground is orange, rest of the rail is in check, DLR (elevated light rail) is turqouise

https://tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/cms/im...rvices-map.gif

Riverbus

Suburban/ regional rail -in the central square there are actually 340 heavy rail stations (not tube), so too dense to fully show. About 1,300 rail/ tube stations for the metro overall

Last edited by muppet; Jul 18, 2022 at 5:53 AM.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 12:31 PM

Toronto's transit map today:

tomorrow once all the lines under construction are done:

This ignores the regional rail lines which are also getting huge upgrades to run on 15 minute or better frequencies and will effectively operate as surface subways. A "fan made" map better illustrates that, showing all higher-order transit lines in the greater golden horseshoe region around Toronto. This is missing one line though, which is the Orange Line connecting to Pearson Airport.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 1:07 PM

As Muppet posted the map, some data from Wikipedia:

London Underground
Lines: 11
Stations: 272
Lenght: 402 km
Daily Traffic: 3 million passengers *
Speed (avg): 33 km/h

* I had to google for more recent numbers (May 2022). Apparently, from Mon-Tue is at 73% of Pre Covid and Fri-Sun at 86%;

London Overground
Lines: 9
Stations: 112
Lenght: 167 km
Daily Traffic: 1.2 million passengers

As I did for São Paulo, there are 4.2 million passengers handled in both London systems daily, 569 km of tracks and 384 stations.

The bus system and it apparently carries 6.5 million passengers daily with 9,000 buses.

--------------------

São Paulo subway/railway carries much more passengers than London whereas London system has a much bigger lenght and stations.

São Paulo bus system is bigger, but London system is also massive.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 1:24 PM

London's transit network is simply amazing.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 1:36 PM

And I searched for Toronto on Wikipedia. I hope it's accurate:

Toronto Subway
Lines: 4
Stations: 75
Lenght: 76.9 km
Daily Traffic: 595,000

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 2:02 PM

Length is accurate for current system length - ridership must be post-pandemic as daily ridership was far higher pre-covid. 2019 saw 942,000 daily trips on the network:

https://www.ttc.ca/transparency-and-...tistics---2019

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 2:45 PM

As far as I know, there is no official NYC metro area rail map that exists and its broken up into sections, since NYC rail is not integrated into one system. I've seen fan made versions of combining the maps into a single map around 10-15 years ago though.
And before anyone mentions it, yes having your rail not be unified on one map is just as stupid and idiotic as it sounds in theory as well as in practice.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
As far as I know, there is no official NYC metro area rail map that exists and its broken up into sections, since NYC rail is not integrated into one system. I've seen fan made versions of combining the maps into a single map around 10-15 years ago though.
And before anyone mentions it, yes having your rail not be on one map is just as stupid and idiotic as it sounds in theory as well as in practice.
I guess you can just attribute all of Metro North, the Long Island Railroad, and PATH to New York, along with the NYCT subway. NJ Transit might get a little tricky in deciding where to draw the line between New York and Philadelphia.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 3:00 PM

Quote:
And before anyone mentions it, yes having your rail not be unified on one map is just as stupid and idiotic as it sounds in theory as well as in practice.
I guess Tokyo has the same problem, no? Once I read here or on the SSC that their combined system length is at 4,000 km!!! That's the distance between NY and LA.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 7:37 PM
Tokyo and Paris fan

Paris

IDF transport by Minato ku, sur Flickr

Paris Metro
Lines: 16
Stations: 308
Lenght: 226.9 km
Ridership : 1.560 billion (2018)

Paris Tram
Lines: 12
Stations: 235
Lenght: 156,16 km
Ridership : 315 million (2018)*
(Two lines were added since)

Paris RER and Suburban rail
Lines: 5 RER lines and 8 suburban network
Stations: 457
Lenght: ~1 410 km
Ridership : 1.409 billion (2018)

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri View Post
I guess Tokyo has the same problem, no? Once I read here or on the SSC that their combined system length is at 4,000 km!!! That's the distance between NY and LA.
Yes Tokyo has a similar issue with JR East and Tokyo Metro.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
I guess you can just attribute all of Metro North, the Long Island Railroad, and PATH to New York, along with the NYCT subway. NJ Transit might get a little tricky in deciding where to draw the line between New York and Philadelphia.
Its not that tricky, just don't show the Atlantic City line and it would make sense.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 9:25 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
London's transit network is simply amazing.
First time i visited London, I was more enthralled with the Tube than rest of city and would just ride various lines from one end to the other. That was first subway I ever rode on.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 12:59 PM
if I sang out of tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri View Post
As Muppet posted the map, some data from Wikipedia:

London Underground
Lines: 11
Stations: 272
Lenght: 402 km
Daily Traffic: 3 million passengers *
Speed (avg): 33 km/h

* I had to google for more recent numbers (May 2022). Apparently, from Mon-Tue is at 73% of Pre Covid and Fri-Sun at 86%;

London Overground
Lines: 9
Stations: 112
Lenght: 167 km
Daily Traffic: 1.2 million passengers

As I did for São Paulo, there are 4.2 million passengers handled in both London systems daily, 569 km of tracks and 384 stations.

The bus system and it apparently carries 6.5 million passengers daily with 9,000 buses.

--------------------

São Paulo subway/railway carries much more passengers than London whereas London system has a much bigger lenght and stations.

São Paulo bus system is bigger, but London system is also massive.

Yep the Overground is just one section of the heavy rail that operates inside London -I'm not sure why they give it a seperate name, but they're similar to tube trains in size and frequencies (the East London line got 'converted' to become part of the Overground), that also runs under and over ground, like a halfway house. There are 337 heavy rail stations within the London boundary (and about 35 which are part of London but jurisdictionally fall outside), the majority unaccounted for on maps due to how migraine-inducing it would all get. I hazard in the London boundary there are about 650 seperate tube and rail stations (inc DLR).

I would imagine though SP still carries way more on public transport overall due to much higher density and generally being the bigger city.

Last edited by muppet; Jul 8, 2022 at 1:12 PM.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 1:14 PM
if I sang out of tune

Quote:
As NYC has such a high density of stations and more of them (more than any other underground network, unless you combine the different companies in Seoul or Tokyo), it would just become too complex. Most cities have the same problem, but NYC markedly so.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 1:26 PM
if I sang out of tune

Headachey maps:

NYC

Paris

http://www.jugcerovic.com/files/jug_...s_plan_map.jpg

Ruhr (Germany)

Seoul

Tokyo - fck off just fck off

Pearl River Delta (Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Dongguan, HK, Foshan, Zhongshan, Macau)

Old Posted Jul 8, 2022, 2:23 PM

Tokyo =

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions