HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Jan 11, 2008, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawsond View Post
i used to wonder that myself.
i also used to wonder what would happen if the WTC somehow fell over or was detonated, how they would fall and whether they'd do damge to the rest of the city.
i don't let myself wonder about things like that anymore.
Just because you wonder it doesn't mean it will happen. But sometimes it can be a good thing to figure these things out, either for the media or for more practical purposes, like evacuating a downtown in the threat of nuclear war, where it is safest to put people, etc.

For instance, design a building who's glass will instantly darken when the nuke goes off, shielding some of the heat and radiation damage, allowing occupants to [quickly] get into a nuke-proof stairwell or core to survive the shockwave and latent heat/radiation of the blast.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2008, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Just because you wonder it doesn't mean it will happen.
oh i know. but i still feel a bit queasy about that...after the '93 bombing, i ruminated more than a few times about the effect of a wtc collapse.
then it happened.
so i leave the ruminating to the experts who do that shite for a living.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 8:55 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMancuso View Post
i would say indefinitely as long as they are maintained. there are cathedrals in europe that are centuries old so i don't see why a modern skyscraper can't last as long or longer.
The difference being that some of these buildings are quite tall and move alot more than an old cathedral, which probably doesn't move at all. also you have alot of steel which gets fatigued after a period of time.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 6:13 AM

Necroing this but whatever.
Like everyone else here has stated, if under good maintenance probably until the sun grows so big as too make the planet unlivable.
Otherwise? I'm thinking a couple thousand years, maybe more. While Modern Skyscrapers do have to deal with more than old Cathedrals, they're also made out of far stronger materials with modern engineering designs that are generally far better than anything those old Cathedrals were made with. And this isn't to diss them either, they are pretty amazing and it's crazy that they've stood as long as they have.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 5:16 PM

Wow. . . you resuscitated a 15 year old thread about a topic no one has since felt like talking about. . . well done?

. . .

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 6:20 PM

One thing which would cause maintenance of a skyscraper to be of questionable value would be if it became economically unbearable.

Another would be the likelihood that the topography of the planet - which is always very, very slowly fluctuating - would reach a point where it was rising or

sinking and thereby tilting whole regions. The mantle of the planet is deeply powerful and skyscrapers are mere flecks of dust by comparison. It doesn't seem

likely that any change would be noticeable for at least tens of thousands of years, but "no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!"

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago View Post
Wow. . . you resuscitated a 15 year old thread about a topic no one has since felt like talking about. . . well done?

. . .
Yes, I did. I mentioned that in the first sentence in that post. Did you actually read it?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 10:26 PM
Ex Houstonian

Wow this thread is interesting to see all of the people who no longer post here but I remember.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture