HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 9:22 AM

It’s a shame that so many of these old rail lines fell into disuse. Such a waste to have the right of way and not use it. Even a (relatively) cheap cut-and-cover project to grade separate, and some extra heavy rail between the NW Side and Lakeview would be very useful.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 3:05 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Even a (relatively) cheap cut-and-cover project to grade separate, and some extra heavy rail between the NW Side and Lakeview would be very useful.
Emphasis on relatively. I know it's a theoretical exercise but unfortunately subterranean construction is wildly expensive, seemingly especially so in this country. Just look at the amount of new light rail projects that should ideally cut under intersections and avoid all grade crossings instead travel on massive hideous concrete flyover overpasses and then still have multitudes of silly railroad standard grade crossings with bells, and lights and gates and all the rest. It's frustrating.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 4:55 PM

If they do much more work on this structure it should lose its historic status ...

If the Cubs want a modern stadium they should build a brand new one not ruin Wrigley's History with a remake.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerDude View Post
If they do much more work on this structure it should lose its historic status ...

If the Cubs want a modern stadium they should build a brand new one not ruin Wrigley's History with a remake.
They've restored so much of the original look of Wrigley during the rebuild. The red terra-cotta tiles, the green iron rebar. In many ways, they are restoring the look that was covered up during the 1960's. It still looks incredibly similar to how it appears in the historic photos. Except it is also becoming ADA compliant and has amenities that compare with every other ballpark in the major leagues. This rebuild is going very well.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post
They've restored so much of the original look of Wrigley during the rebuild. The red terra-cotta tiles, the green iron rebar. In many ways, they are restoring the look that was covered up during the 1960's. It still looks incredibly similar to how it appears in the historic photos. Except it is also becoming ADA compliant and has amenities that compare with every other ballpark in the major leagues. This rebuild is going very well.
Exactly.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 9:28 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerDude View Post

Huh? That ship has sailed with the new bleachers and jumbo-trons as far as I'm concerned. The outfield terraces and vistas inside and out are the one element that made Wrigley really unique and beautiful IMO.

They would contend, along with some here, that they have actually refurbished the park to its original style with the improvements mentioned by BuildThemTaller mentioned. And those have been OK improvements on the brutish mix-mash concrete panels and chain link fencing on the ballpark before but still, I would struggle to call them at all beautiful or inspiring. It's refurbishing still done on the relative cheap.

I contend at this point they should have just torn down much if not all the stadium and go ultra-modern and hi-tech on the same spot. That would have cost REAL money however and would have been a tough job given site constraints though I imagine it could have been done.
A complete rebuild of the grandstand would have been welcome given it has little in the way of redeeming qualities with its myriad obstructed view seating and lack of premium skybox seating.

Last edited by nomarandlee; Feb 21, 2018 at 9:56 PM.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 9:39 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
I contend at this point they should have just torn down much if not all the stadium and go ultra-modern and hi-tech on the same spot.
thank Pizza God that you're not in charge of things within the cubs organization.

the jumbo-trons are indeed terrible, but the improvements to the exterior of the stadium along clark and addison have been tremendous.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 11:24 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
It’s a shame that so many of these old rail lines fell into disuse. Such a waste to have the right of way and not use it. Even a (relatively) cheap cut-and-cover project to grade separate, and some extra heavy rail between the NW Side and Lakeview would be very useful.
Agreed on the wasted opportunity. But why bother with the cost of grade seperation? Just double up the trackage and run a surface line on there, like a tram or street car. It had its own ROW for much of the route, and Lakewood Ave isn't terribly busy, so it wont get tangled up in traffic. Giving it signal priority (or crossing gates when on its own ROW) when crossing major streets will essentially give it the time efficiency of a grade separated line but without the cost.

Clearly it's too late for the C&E line, but it would have been a great idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
thank Pizza God that you're not in charge of things within the cubs organization.

the jumbo-trons are indeed terrible, but the improvements to the exterior of the stadium along clark and addison have been tremendous.
Not a fan of the jumbo trons at all, but I suppose necessary to keep Wrigley Field around. If the stadium isn't viable, then no one will spend money to maintain it. Better a Wrigley Field with big screens (like every other MLB stadium for that matter) than no Wrigley at all.

The exterior of the stadium looks GREAT. I am really happy with the improvements. The removal of the concret panels and chain link fencing has really improved the attractiveness of the facade. The sun burst wrought iron fencing is just a joy to look at. I am a very happy Cubs fan anytime I am looking at Wrigley.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 12:27 AM
Show me the blueprints

I think the renovations have turned out quite nice, the outside looks good, pretty much as it did in the 20s-30s and the jumbotrons don't really bother me that much, hell I just miss Torco, but lets be real here Wrigley wasn't ever a Shibe Park or Ebbets Field in the first place.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 2:23 AM
BANNED

Quote:

I contend at this point they should have just torn down much if not all the stadium and go ultra-modern and hi-tech on the same spot. .

Are you NUTZ?

Ill let this one comment slide but lets be real here.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
Agreed on the wasted opportunity. But why bother with the cost of grade seperation? Just double up the trackage and run a surface line on there, like a tram or street car. It had its own ROW for much of the route, and Lakewood Ave isn't terribly busy, so it wont get tangled up in traffic. Giving it signal priority (or crossing gates when on its own ROW) when crossing major streets will essentially give it the time efficiency of a grade separated line but without the cost.

Clearly it's too late for the C&E line, but it would have been a great idea.
Because surface lines are dangerous and disruptive to traffic.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
Are you NUTZ?

Ill let this one comment slide but lets be real here.
Not even a forgivable comment. Pure blasphemy. I suppose we should have rebuilt in Naperville as well?

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 4:39 PM
Development Shill

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWillChicago View Post
Not even a forgivable comment. Pure blasphemy. I suppose we should have rebuilt in Naperville as well?
Even as a Sox fan his comment made me want to yack

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 6:14 PM

that's it I'm getting a new computer

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Huh? That ship has sailed with the new bleachers and jumbo-trons as far as I'm concerned. The outfield terraces and vistas inside and out are the one element that made Wrigley really unique and beautiful IMO.

They would contend, along with some here, that they have actually refurbished the park to its original style with the improvements mentioned by BuildThemTaller mentioned. And those have been OK improvements on the brutish mix-mash concrete panels and chain link fencing on the ballpark before but still, I would struggle to call them at all beautiful or inspiring. It's refurbishing still done on the relative cheap.

I contend at this point they should have just torn down much if not all the stadium and go ultra-modern and hi-tech on the same spot. That would have cost REAL money however and would have been a tough job given site constraints though I imagine it could have been done.
A complete rebuild of the grandstand would have been welcome given it has little in the way of redeeming qualities with its myriad obstructed view seating and lack of premium skybox seating.
In the end, the Cubs are a business, and doing what you described would be an incredibly stupid business decision. It would effectively shut down the Cub’s nostalgia tourism.

A cornerstone of historic preservation is guarding against passing fads and poor stewardship. It had kept the Ricketts in check and prevented a trendy ballpark design which would have inappropriately represented the architectural standpoint in ballpark design which a stripped down, minimalist expression of intricate structure.

A piecemeal reconstruction sits better with fans attachment to Wrigley and in the end the bones of the structure are still original and maintain timeless familiarity.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 3:47 PM
You had me at herro...

Walked by Hotel Zachery last night, it's really coming together, i should have taken pictures. I see they're starting to take reservations now for April.

Rooms look complete from the ground floor, lamps in the windows, curtains, light fixtures, etc. Balconies are finished, sidewalk is open, intersection is repaved, heavy work going on first two floors of restaurants. Front doors are in place. The second floor outdoor areas have lattice sections covering them that add some nice elements, lights are going up, stairs are in.

Overall I was concerned it would be too suburban and 90's, but honestly it looks really great, very sleek, good colors, clean looking and good curves. It blends great with the down to earth revamp of the stadium itself and the Cubs Plaza. The place looks insanely different than just a few years ago when the triangle lot was basically blocked off gravel and the McDonalds and parking lot were across the street.

The Addison & Clark development is also coming along quick. First three floors are still open and bare, but the four apartment floors above that are now almost entirely windowed in. The facade now looks temporary, but I actually like it. Looks like a black slate.

The portion along Clark is still going up, but almost there, it's all steel. I bet within two months they're finished with the exterior and will try to open the sidwalks as they move the work indoors.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 5:01 PM

if you are a bar or restaurant in there I am sure you are breaking your neck trying to make it by opening day

but Nisei Lounge is adding outdoor patio space, so, still no competition

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 5:01 PM

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 4:11 PM

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 10:58 PM
Making Chicago Memorable.

I wonder how the Belmont Flyover is going to change Wrigleyville. Loss of a lot of beautiful 3 flats with bay windows and a store on Clark with beautiful windows and terra cotta.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development