HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 1:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8721 View Post
I live in Florida so obviously not happy with the location of our State Capital.
I've always felt that Kississimee would be a perfect site for a state capital and Tallahassee would be the site of FSU, but now with Hurricane Ian wrecking FL right now, I guess for right now, Tallahassee is the state capital due to higher elevation.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
I've always felt that Kississimee would be a perfect site for a state capital and Tallahassee would be the site of FSU, but now with Hurricane Ian wrecking FL right now, I guess for right now, Tallahassee is the state capital due to higher elevation.
Yeah it's nuts that the capitals of Cuba and Bahamas are closer to us than our state capital. It creates a disassociation with the top half of the state.

Last edited by UrbanImpact; Sep 29, 2022 at 2:36 PM.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
This is a pretty big misunderstanding of who runs the state legislator and who gets 'favorable' treatment. Rural county politicians rule Pennsylvania. PA is a state governed by landmass and not people. Hence why the GOP has held the majority in Harrisburg for a generation even though the Democrats have far more registered voters. SEPA is the democrat stronghold of the state, and democrats pass essentially nothing in Harrisburg:
I totally get the bullshit political situation in PA. I am certainly not on the rural Republican politicians' side. I fully agree, but bringing this up is kind of a non-sequitur.

Quote:
And to be clear, this conversation started with you stating:
I'd argue that it started with you echoing the notion: "Well SE PA subsidizes the rest of the state..."

You really think that you're subsidizing me in Pittsburgh or other cities/counties that produce sizable GDPs? County operating budgets with state and federal funding components aren't the end all and be all of the economy, or something. And those state and federal allocations aren't even the largest pieces of the funding pie for most rural counties anyway (though they are in Chester County...). The fact is, that we all "subsidize" each other in one form or another within the state.

Quote:
To act like Philadelphia (and it's suburbs that only exist because of the city) are a 'drag' on the state is absurd and untrue.
I never claimed that they were a drag on the rest of the state. I said that Philadelphia (with its orders of magnitude greater size than anywhere else in the state and 25% poverty rate) is subsidized far more heavily than anywhere else (and I asserted a few times that it should receive even more), and that Philadelphia is more of a drain on its wealthy suburban counties than anywhere else in the state is a drain on them. That's simple numbers.

Quote:
Funny how unincorporated areas of PA rely on the state police as the local police force, but yet, pay no extra tax for the privileged service.

Gov. Wolf dropped the calls for the tax on state police force from the budget this year, because covid funds paid were used to pay for it:
In his final budget, Wolf drops his calls for State Police fee. But the problem remains
I don't support this one bit. Just like I don't support people complaining about higher tolls on the turnpike for using the most-traveled sections.

To be clear, I am not someone who complains about SE PA "getting everything". The greater share you put in, the greater share you should get out. It makes total sense to me that the most populated areas should get more... even when they don't contribute anywhere near their proportional share (like Philadelphia).

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 2:31 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I guess for PA the location is okay. Although where I lived most of my life, NJ, the location of New Jerseys capital is garbage and the city to begin with is garbage, Trenton that is.

Would much rather the location be Newark NJ. Would be more suited for a respectable state capital. Trenton is just embarrassing. If one goes to Trenton and that is their first impression of NJ, not a good situation.

Newark has the melting pot feeling, history and would be more suited for a capital than Trenton.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Rural county politicians rule Pennsylvania. PA is a state governed by landmass and not people.
Not to take us down a rabbit hole but the same logic applies to our country as a whole.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
I guess for PA the location is okay. Although where I lived most of my life, NJ, the location of New Jerseys capital is garbage and the city to begin with is garbage, Trenton that is.

Would much rather the location be Newark NJ. Would be more suited for a respectable state capital. Trenton is just embarrassing. If one goes to Trenton and that is their first impression of NJ, not a good situation.

Newark has the melting pot feeling, history and would be more suited for a capital than Trenton.
Right, Harrisburg's as the location is okay. A bit arbitrary because there was some donated land back in the day and one could argue too close to the influence of Philadelphia to be equitable for the entire state... but hey, that's where the people were at the time.

I guess I'm just more of the mind that there should be more intention in locating the central administrative hub of the state. To me, State College with the state's major university and located in the dead center of the PA would be prefect.

I think Princeton would be a good location for the capital city of New Jersey. Having the capital at Newark is basically just not really having a state capital, no? I mean, you're basically admitting that the state really doesn't matter... just do whatever NYC wants... that's for sure what would happen.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
Not to take us down a rabbit hole but the same logic applies to our country as a whole.
Oh, I think I already took us down that hole

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 3:25 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Princeton would be more suitable.

NJ in a way is heavily tied with NYC so its an important aspect of things. A very important aspect. A bulk of the industrial base is within Essex, Union, Hudson, Passaic and Bergan counties. Large portion of the state, along with Middlesex county and a bulk of Somerset. North NJ or anything above say Mercer or Monmouth country is a bulk of the state.

IDK, I just think a better capital would of been Newark or even New Brunswick. Most would be better than Trenton.

On a side note, Harrisburg is a cute city. But I do agree with State College.

And this is not to dismiss South NJ, no disrespect intended but South NJ is a whole different state. Might as well be in South Carolina at that point. North and Central NJ is where its at. The decay is also there in South NJ.

Princeton is a gem of a community. If folks want history, go to Princeton NJ.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 4:15 PM

I always thought Victoria as British Columbia’s capital was a little odd. Located on an island, 2 hour ferry from the mainland.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 4:32 PM

Quote:

NJ in a way is heavily tied with NYC so its an important aspect of things. A very important aspect. A bulk of the industrial base is within Essex, Union, Hudson, Passaic and Bergan counties. Large portion of the state, along with Middlesex county and a bulk of Somerset. North NJ or anything above say Mercer or Monmouth country is a bulk of the state.

IDK, I just think a better capital would of been Newark or even New Brunswick. Most would be better than Trenton.

And this is not to dismiss South NJ, no disrespect intended but South NJ is a whole different state. Might as well be in South Carolina at that point. North and Central NJ is where its at. The decay is also there in South NJ.

Trenton probably made sense because it was close to Philadelphia, but not too close to make it easy to attack. It could also be reached by water.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 4:51 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samne View Post
I always thought Victoria as British Columbia’s capital was a little odd. Located on an island, 2 hour ferry from the mainland.
Vancouver Island was once a separate colony from British Columbia (the latter's capital was New Westminster). At the time that the colonies were united to join the Canadian confederation, Victoria was B.C.'s largest city, the centre of commerce and easily defended by the nearby naval base in Esquimalt.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 4:52 PM

Trenton was historically a fairly important city. Also, it's sorta the traditional cultural "borderland" between North and South Jersey. Not sure why it's a problematic location.

The city is pretty dumpy, but the Capitol complex area is nice.

Princeton is an uppity, small, ultra-NIMBY suburb. The university controls almost everything non-residential. Doesn't make much sense for a state capital.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 5:05 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Vancouver Island was once a separate colony from British Columbia (the latter's capital was New Westminster). At the time that the colonies were united to join the Canadian confederation, Victoria was B.C.'s largest city, the centre of commerce and easily defended by the nearby naval base in Esquimalt.

Interesting…thanks! But New Westminster can still claim Mike Reno

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post

Princeton is an uppity, small, ultra-NIMBY suburb. The university controls almost everything non-residential. Doesn't make much sense for a state capital.
I was thinking that it makes sense for a state capital based on its more central location... roughly equidistant from both NYC and Philadelphia. And in the context of it being the state capital historically... not as the uppity, small, ultra-NIMBY suburb it may be now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samne View Post
Interesting…thanks! But New Westminster can still claim Mike Reno

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 5:39 PM

Honestly, since NJ is so small the only really bad place to put the state's capital would be some place like Cape May. You can get just about anywhere in the state in less than two hours, traffic permitting.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post

Haha….nice one

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 10:02 PM

Quote:

Having the capital in Newark or near (Jersey City?) would help that area economically. It needs help, although things are looking better because of affordable housing and some gentrification. Look at Hoboken...almost cool now. I think some of the cities of northern NJ should merge or consolidate, to get a million+ City with more power and not so much in the shadow of NYC.

Last edited by CaliNative; Sep 29, 2022 at 10:18 PM.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Honestly, since NJ is so small the only really bad place to put the state's capital would be some place like Cape May. You can get just about anywhere in the state in less than two hours, traffic permitting.
How about Atlantic City I say half in jest? Could use the help.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 11:10 PM

Vineland would be a pretty sweet Jersey capital.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Having the capital in Newark or near (Jersey City?) would help that area economically. It needs help, although things are looking better because of affordable housing and some gentrification. Look at Hoboken...almost cool now. I think some of the cities of northern NJ should merge or consolidate, to get a million+ City with more power and not so much in the shadow of NYC.
Eh, Northern NJ is the wealthiest part of the wealthiest or 2nd wealthiest state. Not sure by what definition it needs charitable "help".

Trenton is much poorer than any city in Northern NJ, BTW. Hoboken has been expensive/trendy for maybe 40 years now. JC and Newark have poverty but are overall pretty healthy these days.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions