HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Aug 17, 2021, 2:47 PM

^ Honestly it's not the greatest, but it could be worse. I appreciate that they are willing to do something different than all of the generic low/mid rise stuff going up in various places that looks the same and uninspired. And yeah, it's great to see that lot potentially bite the dust. It's been good that the population and density has been going up on Clark St and Broadway in these areas even though it was already fairly dense.

On another note, the ugly vacant lot at 2024 W Irving Park Rd scored a building permit for a new 4 story building with 12 units and ground floor retail. Of course, the building is generic like so many other ones but I guess still better than this terrible vacant lot. This is a few blocks from the Irving Park brown line stop.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/20...!4d-87.6798189

Old Posted Aug 17, 2021, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post

On another note, the ugly vacant lot at 2024 W Irving Park Rd scored a building permit for a new 4 story building with 12 units and ground floor retail. Of course, the building is generic like so many other ones but I guess still better than this terrible vacant lot. This is a few blocks from the Irving Park brown line stop.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/20...!4d-87.6798189
Nice! Hate that lot (among others near the Irving/Damen/Lincoln intersection.) I noticed they put up fencing and spotted an excavator about a week ago and was getting excited.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2021, 9:21 PM

Sheridan Red Line Ace Hardware is nearing completion. Decidedly meh

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 10:24 AM

I biked by this last night. It's decent filler. Some detailing with the brick would have been nice.

Great density for the area. I'd love to see one of the underused hospital parking lots on Irving or the field on Irving and Sheridan converted into something similarly dense.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCorsair87 View Post
I biked by this last night. It's decent filler. Some detailing with the brick would have been nice.

Great density for the area. I'd love to see one of the underused hospital parking lots on Irving or the field on Irving and Sheridan converted into something similarly dense.
Had to street view this one - that field used to be apts. with one of the .... most interesting .... bars that catered to the Mexican immigrants, all young men.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 2:05 PM

https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/dept...on-design.html

Chicago Planning Department Committee on Design

Is this new? I saw it referenced on YIMBY and had to google it since I've never heard of it before.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 2:44 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post

Is this new? I saw it referenced on YIMBY and had to google it since I've never heard of it before.
I was wondering about that as well.

I think it's a bad idea. It's a slippery slope towards a Boston or SF situation where more and more "stakeholders" (ie NIMBYs) have a means to slow down development

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 2:58 PM

Everyone on the committee is a developer, project manager, or an architect. I highly doubt this is a NIMBY crowd

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post

I think it's a bad idea. It's a slippery slope towards a Boston or SF situation where more and more "stakeholders" (ie NIMBYs) have a means to slow down development
I don't think the committee gets a "vote" on anything, they just make recommendations to DPD—which has been acting as a de facto design committee up until this point (which was never really the DPD's job). We'll see how it plays out. Not clutching my pearls quite yet...

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post

For anyone interested, Chicago DPD posted its inaugural Committee on Design on YouTube.

In the first half, the committee discusses the tandem development consisting of 315 N May and 1112 W Carroll. In the second half, they review an Invest South/West proposal for the former Laramie State Bank building on Chicago Ave. in Austin.
Video Link

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post

I looked at the FAQ document provided on the website and it says they can only provide advisory feedback on Planned Developments and/or projects that received city funding of some kind.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2021, 5:07 PM
The City

Old Posted Aug 19, 2021, 2:04 PM

[deleted]

Old Posted Aug 22, 2021, 12:16 AM

1020 W Randolph

Aug 16

Old Posted Aug 22, 2021, 12:16 PM

FYI, there's soil testing rigs roaming the vacant lots in the South edge of the IMD just West of Ogden and Roosevelt...

Reddit.com/r/REbubble

Old Posted Aug 23, 2021, 7:58 PM

Disney pulling the plug on their mag mile store. The owner of the now fully-vacant building did have this to say, however -

Quote:
Though a completely empty building on the Mag Mile may look like a problem in the current market, it’s an opportunity to Conlon.

“We bought it with the expectation that we would redevelop the whole building,” he said.

Acadia’s plans are still in the works. Conlon didn’t rule out demolishing the building and developing a residential high-rise in its place—“all options are being considered,” he said—but he said that was unlikely right now, citing high construction costs relative to current apartment rents.

“There’s a lot going on,” he said. “There’s a tremendous amount of interest, and we’re sort of trying to put the pieces together.”

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...mag-mile-store

Old Posted Aug 23, 2021, 9:12 PM

I can't believe that Disney store lasted there as long as it did. Everything about it was a relic from the 90s.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2021, 9:26 PM
The City

^ Perfect timing. My kids got to enjoy those stores during what would be peak "Disney store appreciation years" and we took them to both sites multiple times.

Now, at 12 and 10, they are largely past the age that this store would appeal much to them, so.........whatever

Old Posted Aug 24, 2021, 1:55 AM

^I was walking along this section of Michigan Ave on Saturday for the first time since the pandemic began and noticed how many storefronts are already vacant along the mile. It is sad to see.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2021, 1:19 PM

I would love to pick the brain of a landlord or broker on Michigan Ave to hear who’s looking for space right now and under what terms…

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development