HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Apr 4, 2021, 12:48 AM

This afternoon, Thrive Properties had a crew working at The Tides construction site on Coverdale Road. Looks like they're not wasting any time with this one.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2021, 12:48 PM

Round-about

The northeast corner of Pine Glen and Pinewood has been cleared in preparation for new round-about.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2021, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacdougall View Post
The northeast corner of Pine Glen and Pinewood has been cleared in preparation for new round-about.
Do you know when they're supposed to start the work on it?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
Do you know when they're supposed to start the work on it?
that work should be put on hold till the bridge is complete, lets not make drivers detour any more than they have to to get to the bridge.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSTY386 View Post
that work should be put on hold till the bridge is complete, lets not make drivers detour any more than they have to to get to the bridge.
Riverview should not be expected to put all their major capital projects on hold for a year because one of the crossings is closed. It’s business as usual and people just need to deal with it.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 12:55 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

D-Day has Arrived!

Six-month Petitcodiac causeway closure starts Monday afternoon
Closure required to finish bridge, realign river
Shane Magee · CBC News · Posted: Apr 05, 2021 6:00 AM AT | Last Updated: 4 hours ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...sure-1.5972543

This is an excellent CBC article.

Excavating the new river channel. They're moving almost as much dirt as they are on Oak Island!

Nice historical photo showing initial construction of the causeway in 1966. Look at how wide the river used to be!

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 1:14 PM

So the causeway is fully closing this afternoon. It'll be tomorrow morning when we see the full impact on traffic. I found it interesting to see that the vehicle count across the causeway is essentially the same as it was before the pandemic. So the idea of people working from home reducing the amount of traffic going over to Moncton won't help the situation as much as they thought it would.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 4:45 PM

I wonder how much of a percentage the Gunningsville bridge is actually being used as per it's designed capacity if only 26,500 daily crossings are being made?

If you take 20,000 cars crossing during 8 hours of the 9am-5pm time frame, that's 2,500 cars per hour. That seems really low count for the size of the 4 lane bridge. But I assume the bulk of the 26,500 would be the morning and late afternoon rush hours.

With that being said, would the whole 27,500(causeway) + 26,500(Gunningsville) daily crossing on the one single Gunningsville bridge be like a 60% capacity?

If you take away the morning & late afternoon rush hours, I think people are freaking out for nothing.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 4:50 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I don't think it's so much the capacity of the bridge as it is the design of the intersections and approaches on both sides which is in question.

But, I agree with you, I think aside from the height of rush hour, there shouldn't be too much problem.

I wonder what route they are advising truck traffic to use on the way over to Riverview? In many ways, the best route would be down Wheeler Blvd to the causeway traffic circle anyway, and then up West Main Street to Vaughan Harvey Blvd. Any other approach would entail too much street traffic.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 4:56 PM

I was just on my way home from work, and the traffic is already backed up almost to Pine Glen Road and it’s 2pm on a Monday. This is not going to be good.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

I don't think it's so much the capacity of the bridge as it is the design of the intersections and approaches on both sides which is in question.

But, I agree with you, I think aside from the height of rush hour, there shouldn't be too much problem.

I wonder what route they are advising truck traffic to use on the way over to Riverview? In many ways, the best route would be down Wheeler Blvd to the causeway traffic circle anyway, and then up West Main Street to Vaughan Harvey Blvd. Any other approach would entail too much street traffic.
The best route for trucks coming from the TCH and Dieppe, is west on Main under the subway crossing.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 5:03 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackYear View Post
The best route for trucks coming from the TCH and Dieppe, is west on Main under the subway crossing.

I'm kinda afraid we'll see more altercations with the subway than usual this summer.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

The problem with West Main and trucks is from the Honda dealership to Vaughn Harvey. Around Jones Lake, is so narrow for a four lane road with zero wiggle room, and if someone is on a bicycle, look out. I can see accidents happening.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 5:12 PM
Random Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
I was just on my way home from work, and the traffic is already backed up almost to Pine Glen Road and it’s 2pm on a Monday. This is not going to be good.
Looking at the webcam the Riverview side doesn't look too crazy

http://138.197.163.226:8083/stream/player/Riverview

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 5:24 PM

I just got back from RV. The E-bound lane turning on the the bridge was backed up beyond Dairy Queen. That said, I came straight down Gunningsville over the hill and didn't there were 0 cars ahead of me. I assume come tomorrow morning, all 3 directions will be backed up somewhat.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 11:00 PM

I was watching the webcams this afternoon and the longest line-ups were the Riverview cars turning left onto the bridge. Even the rush hour traffic going over to Riverview wasn't that bad. It was obvious that the bridge was a lot busier but I didn't see any real issues.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 10:22 AM

So far so good ,I drop off my son in riverview from Moncton around 7 am and had no issues. I use the gunningsville rd to cross the bridge. I waited about 10 sec max both way at the light .

(Edit) I just look at the webcam and it seem lot busier now on all side lol ... goes to show how an half hour make a big difference.

Last edited by Philbilly; Apr 6, 2021 at 10:32 AM.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 11:20 AM

The traffic on the bridge heading to Moncton is backed up right to the lights on the riverview side! Too bad there wasnt an extra lane for Moncton bound vehicles eh? Cant wait to see how screwed Moncton is tonight at rush hour!

Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 11:56 AM

I left West Riverview at 8:15 and arrived downtown at 8:30. As I predicted it was going to add between 5-10 minutes to my commute depending on when I left.

It was quite something seeing every news crew in the Moncton area watching traffic . They were even flying drones!

Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 1:38 PM

It looks like the traffic situation can change in a matter of 10-15 minutes. You can get through the intersection quickly, and 15 minutes later you'd have to wait a couple of cycles. The traffic is obviously heavier, but overall it hasn't been the nightmare some thought it would be.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces