HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truittclark View Post
Teachers Village Atlanta at 98 Cone St. Proposed 445 apartments. 31 stories.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Well, it's a building all right.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 1:58 PM

Quote:
So they're tearing down an [admittedly ugly] existing building instead of just building on the surface parking lot next door?

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
So they're tearing down an [admittedly ugly] existing building instead of just building on the surface parking lot next door?
That "ugly" existing building is actually a (quite beautiful) parking garage on the inside. It's quite a popular photo spot because of the light and aesthetics on the inside.

Just spitballing but I'm fairly certain that rendering is taken facing NE and the street with cars on it is actually Walton St. NW meaning the project will take up both the existing building/garage and the adjacent surface lot. You can see the surface lot at Ted Turner and Walton and the small buildings on Nassau to the left of the rendering.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 2:20 PM

ATLarchitect is correct. Additional renderings in the Invest Atlanta packet show that the building will be constructed on the surface lot and leave the existing parking structure intact. (I’m garbage at posting photos from mobile otherwise I would, but Chris Bender tweeted a few photos of it earlier.)

Last edited by ATL_Shin; Apr 7, 2021 at 2:20 PM. Reason: Misspelled other commenters name

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_Shin View Post
ATLarchitect is correct. Additional renderings in the Invest Atlanta packet show that the building will be constructed on the surface lot and leave the existing parking structure intact. (I’m garbage at posting photos from mobile otherwise I would, but Chris Bender tweeted a few photos of it earlier.)
Ah we were both wrong. It does go on the surface lot but the adjacent existing garage stays. I'm terrible at linking photos too but here's the C Bender link with more photos/diagrams https://twitter.com/cbenderatl/statu...313221/photo/4

Interestingly S9 Architecture is listed on the diagram (Ponce City Market, 725 Ponce)... didn't know they dipped into affordable housing but their work is pretty top notch. Gives me hope the finished product will actually be much nicer than this initial rendering.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Interesting. It's more residential downtown which is great. Depending on the materials I think it could be a great addition to downtown. Best of all is parking lots are finally dissappearing in the Fairlie-Poplar district.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 6:21 PM

Very encouraging to have this, The Metropolitan and Margaritaville all within a few blocks.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 6:40 PM
BANNED

Here are a few more of the Teachers Village project:

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck View Post
Very encouraging to have this, The Metropolitan and Margaritaville all within a few blocks.
I was just thinking how this is (comparatively) quite a lot of sizable development in the area.

I'm also curious about ATLarchitect's comment on 98 Cone St looking nice on the inside. To me, it looks like trash on the outside, but I'm only basing this on google street view, so I'm interested in seeing links to interior photos, if available.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 7:20 PM

I think the outside of 98 Cone looks nice, just needs to be refurbished. It has a classic brick office/warehouse look to it. PCM vibes. Anybody know if it was originally built as a parking deck, or was converted to one later? Some ground floor active use would do wonders for this building, similar to what they did with the ground floor of 25 park place annex.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
I think the outside of 98 Cone looks nice, just needs to be refurbished. It has a classic brick office/warehouse look to it. PCM vibes. Anybody know if it was originally built as a parking deck, or was converted to one later? Some ground floor active use would do wonders for this building, similar to what they did with the ground floor of 25 park place annex.
It's a historic parking structure. It was never anything else.

"Atlanta - it's getting there."

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 9:57 PM

Great momentum going on for Downtown. Place could be booming in a year or two.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiffTheFox View Post
I was just thinking how this is (comparatively) quite a lot of sizable development in the area.

I'm also curious about ATLarchitect's comment on 98 Cone St looking nice on the inside. To me, it looks like trash on the outside, but I'm only basing this on google street view, so I'm interested in seeing links to interior photos, if available.
Sorry, I'm no photographer but I do know a few photographers who have used the garage as a set for shoots (a few of my photos I just so happened to still have on my phone: https://imgur.com/a/N8ap1lk). It is quite unique and gives PCM-esque loft vibes. The views from the roof are pretty great, too.

My first thought was surely it wasn't originally a parking garage but now that I look more closely at my photos the ramp and floor structure does appear like it could be original.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 10:38 PM

The parking structure is going to be torn down, too? If it's historic, is it worth preserving?

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 10:41 PM

According to the website of the developer of the Metropolitan, it's only going to be 20 stories. What's up with that? Typo?

https://rayndev.com/

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
According to the website of the developer of the Metropolitan, it's only going to be 20 stories. What's up with that? Typo?

https://rayndev.com/
If you count the stories in the rendering they show on the webpage you easily get to 30-stories and change. So yeah, seems like an obvious typo to me.

ATLotb

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 1:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
Great momentum going on for Downtown. Place could be booming in a year or two.
Agreed. I mentioned this in another discussion about downtown last fall where posters were (accurately) lamenting the loss of momentum downtown with the pandemic. Just before the pandemic, it felt like downtown was finally starting to take off and then the pandemic hit and homelessness and empty streets seem the rule. I predict that if things keep going in the right direction with the virus that downtown will be busier than it's been in 40 years by next summer

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 1:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLarchitect View Post
Sorry, I'm no photographer but I do know a few photographers who have used the garage as a set for shoots (a few of my photos I just so happened to still have on my phone: https://imgur.com/a/N8ap1lk). It is quite unique and gives PCM-esque loft vibes. The views from the roof are pretty great, too.
Thanks - the roof views are nice.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 1:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLonthebrain View Post
If you count the stories in the rendering they show on the webpage you easily get to 30-stories and change. So yeah, seems like an obvious typo to me.

ATLotb
Sometimes floor counts omit parking levels, but based on Terminus' comments on the FAR, 20 floors would seem to be impossibly low either way.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta