HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 4:52 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Except once again in SF you won't be able to PARK. It's different in the East Bay suburbs, of course. You'll be fine in Fremont. But plan on paying to park when you come to SF and it's not cheap: $24 for a few hours in some places.

I've had the experience of being driven to Chinatown and totally unable to find parking so we came home and took a cab back to where we planned to eat. Oh, and if you do find on-street parking, it's a serious risk your car will be keyed or the glass broken even if there's nothing visible to steal.

Nope. I drive the scooter to what I consider relatively safe neighborhoods (and park in places a car wouldn't fit) but otherwise it's Uber/Lyft.
BART will take me from Fremont to Powell St station. Getting to SF, that's probably the only feasible method and just uber/walk around town.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 4:57 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
I've had too many British friends over the years for "taking the piss" or "piss take" to sound weird or foreign to my ear, but I imagine for Americans who don't often socialize with Brits that it might cause some confused sideways looks.
It does seem to me that you do hear it from Anglo-Canadians from time to time. Though it's a been a while since I lived immersed in Anglo-Canada.

I'll let others chime in as to how often it's heard there.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 5:28 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
You go ahead and be the canary in that coal mine.
I have been taking muni since July and have been fine. I also received my covid booster a couple week ago. Back in July I thought about covid a bit on muni, but I honestly don't even think about it anymore. Everybody is compliant with wearing masks.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 5:30 PM
A Man In Dandism

Quote:
Originally Posted by dktshb View Post
I have been taking muni since July and have been fine. I also received my covid booster a couple week ago. Back in July I thought about covid a bit on muni, but I honestly don't even think about it anymore. Everybody is compliant with wearing masks.
You can always crack a window too.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 5:43 PM

Quote:
You go ahead and be the canary in that coal mine.
Then this coal mine has a lot of birds in it. I spent a month taking the tube in London without a mask and I didn't die a horrible painful death. I took the trains a ton in Paris, still no painful horrible death. Going to Madrid this weekend... Maybe I will go down there?

I do hope though the mask mandates in Chicago lift sooner than later. When I was in Boystown right before London, the mask mandate had just kicked back in, but once inside the bars, people weren't wearing masks.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 5:45 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
In most cities the demographic that rides transit probably has a higher rate of covid than the city as a whole. And personally I see no reason to take the risk. The inside of a train car (or bus) is like any closed space. I avoid those when not necessary and Uber makes trains and busses unnecessary.
I am pretty sure most all people on muni during rush hours (when I ride) are vaccinated. Most businesses have pretty stringent vaccination requirements. Everybody is wearing a mask and I have yet to hear anybody cough or sneeze on muni. It is unfortunate that so many people are putting more cars on the streets because of covid fears. Maybe these people should move out of the city. If you're triple vaccinated what is there to worry about? Your uber driver may not be vaccinated since only the office workers are required to be vaccinated and not the drivers.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 5:46 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
Then this coal mine has a lot of birds in it. I spent a month taking the tube in London without a mask and I didn't die a horrible painful death. I took the trains a ton in Paris, still no painful horrible death. Going to Madrid this weekend... Maybe I will go down there?

I do hope though the mask mandates in Chicago lift sooner than later. When I was in Boystown right before London, the mask mandate had just kicked back in, but once inside the bars, people weren't wearing masks.
Yeah I took the Subway in NY in July and am taking it to work 3 days a week in SF since July and have been fine.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 5:46 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
I do hope though the mask mandates in Chicago lift sooner than later.
i wouldn't bet on that.

with case numbers rising again, my guess is that illinois will stay under mask mandates at least through the winter.

it's mostly a farce at this point anyway, as the vast majority of people here going into a restaurant or bar go through the little charade of wearing a mask as they enter an establishment and then proceed to take it off once inside. basically pointless, but then so is so much of our world.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Nov 18, 2021 at 6:58 PM.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 6:54 PM

I'm still shocked how many people in Chicago wear a mask while walking outside on the sidewalk. I also notice in Chicago it's very neighborhood by neighborhood the mask regulations - went to dinner in the West Loop on Tuesday and was asked to put my mask on as soon as I entered restaurant. Went to one of my go to restaurants in Bridgeport yesterday for lunch and I ordered there without a mask no problem, half the workers didn't even wear a mask.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investing In Chicago View Post
I'm still shocked how many people in Chicago wear a mask while walking outside on the sidewalk. I also notice in Chicago it's very neighborhood by neighborhood the mask regulations - went to dinner in the West Loop on Tuesday and was asked to put my mask on as soon as I entered restaurant. Went to one of my go to restaurants in Bridgeport yesterday for lunch and I ordered there without a mask no problem, half the workers didn't even wear a mask.
Growing up so close to Bubbly Creek should make you immune to most ailments.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 7:46 PM

Quote:
I think the emergency order in Chicago requires you to be masked while standing in restaurants.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
I think the emergency order in Chicago requires you to be masked while standing in restaurants.
Right, the point being is that it's stupid, and makes no sense.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 8:04 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:

The mask mandate inside restaurants/bars is a little silly given that you're allowed to remove it while eating/drinking and anybody who is vulnerable probably shouldn't be eating inside a restaurant. As the husband of a 31-week-pregnant wife, I'm glad the mask mandate is still in place for stores / public transit / my condo building hallways / my workplace, etc. though.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 8:04 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
I'm still shocked how many people in Chicago wear a mask while walking outside on the sidewalk.
Sometimes I forget to take it off after I get off the train... so what?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 8:59 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Sometimes I forget to take it off after I get off the train... so what?
Yeah, I sometimes keep mine on from the subway to my office not because I am afraid of covid but it is just easier and it keeps me warm in always chilly SF.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 1:46 AM

Thoughts:

Florida sure is doing good even though they are a bunch of neanderthals

Anyways, ate out at a Chicago suburban restaurant a few days ago and no wait staff were wearing mask. I was also in downtstate Illinois a month ago and mask-wearing was very optional.

After the freezing conditions of today, I will no longer laugh at people wearing masks outdoors. One of the best things to come from Covid rules, masks outside in the winter! Love it.

Also, took the L and Metra to go to work about 2 weeks ago. First, it was super nice and I was super lucky to not have to wait for either train. Pure luck, I know, but still. The L train was quite packed and I loved it. I felt like I was in a major city and didn't feel weird like I had in the start of the pandemic riding the train (barely anyone riding, so it was creepy).

So its looking good for Chicago, we'll just see how long they think their mitigation strategies work. Chicago is supposed to end mask mandates if cases go down to 200 or less per day for a week. We aren't anywhere close to that so masks will probably stay around for another year.

By the way, Illinois is in "Phase 5", has anyone in the media asked the governor "when do we leave phases completely?" Or is this just a neverending cycle of governors being allowed to do whatever they want, forever?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 6:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
Thoughts:

Florida sure is doing good even though they are a bunch of neanderthals
Florida is "doing good" in large part because it did so bad.

Get this point clear: % of population with immunity = % vaccinated + % recovered from coronavirus infection.

Florida actually has done reasonably well getting people vaccinated. I credit the fact that it has a high population of older people looking out for their own welfare rather than its government, but the fact remains they have gotten the shots. But the state also had a significant "delta wave". Put the two together and you have a very high level of immunity.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 6:30 AM
A Man In Dandism

I’m guessing hospitalizations and deaths per capita also tell a different story. Doing good “right now” is also not a good measure of overall performance especially given the cyclical nature of the virus. Everything needs to be looked at in proper context.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Florida is "doing good" in large part because it did so bad.

Get this point clear: % of population with immunity = % vaccinated + % recovered from coronavirus infection.

Florida actually has done reasonably well getting people vaccinated. I credit the fact that it has a high population of older people looking out for their own welfare rather than its government, but the fact remains they have gotten the shots. But the state also had a significant "delta wave". Put the two together and you have a very high level of immunity.
Florida has to have had one of the worst performances on COVID. Over half of all COVID deaths to date in NY State occurred before June 1, 2020. Over 95% of Florida's COVID deaths occurred after June 1, 2020.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 3:59 PM

Quote:
I can just about see people in Chicago wearing cloth masks in the winter just to keep their faces from freezing, especially if they’re walking from Ogilvie to the Loop or something. But it’s not that cold yet.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions