HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 4:10 PM
The City

Remote work is selfish

People who want to work from home are doing it for selfish reasons. Employers should slash their pay or even fire them.

Period.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 4:11 PM
Ex Houstonian

Yeah, I dont believe that people are less productive at home. I mean I only hardcore work for about 6 hours but I get more done in those 6 hours than 8 hours at the office. The office is full of distractions, people talking and not working at all and the pointless endless meetings. There are certainly people that dont work hardly at all at home, but instead of making us all spend 2 hours in a car everyday and waking up at 7:15 just fire those people that dont work.

Back on the road again

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Remote work is selfish

People who want to work from home are doing it for selfish reasons. Employers should slash their pay or even fire them.

Period.
I've been working from home for 17 years and can't conceive of ever dragging myself into a frigging office again.

Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Remote work is selfish

Period.
Uh what? Its selfish to not want to commute every single day and be exhausted and then only have about 4 hours to yourself when you get home before you have to go to bed?

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Remote work is selfish

Period.
All I hear is "I'm mad because remote work hasn't been an option for me, and everyone who enjoys it must be lazy!"

Breaking news, a lot of people don't like working remote, and a lot of other people managed to do their jobs very well remotely even before Covid was a thing.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 4:57 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Uh what? Its selfish to not want to commute every single day and be exhausted and then only have about 4 hours to yourself when you get home before you have to go to bed?
Your job isn’t about you.

You are being paid to provide a service to somebody else.

I realize that in our snowflakey society we have trouble comprehending that, but it’s a fact.

If your boss wants you in the office, then get out of your pajamas and show up.

I for one would love to see WFH folks get replaced by the 1.4 billion people from India. It would be joyful for me to watch that play out.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 4:59 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveD View Post
I've been working from home for 17 years and can't conceive of ever dragging myself into a frigging office again.
Some people can get away with it, yes. I will acknowledge that.

But I think that most people are just being whiny snowflakes, working from their second homes in Door County, WI while fishing on their boat.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 5:08 PM

Quote:

I realize that in our snowflakey society we have trouble comprehending that, but it’s a fact.

I for one would love to see WFH folks get replaced by the 1.4 billion people from India. It would be joyful for me to watch that play out.
Bosses can't actually make any money without having workers. In order to keep/retain workers they need to offer wages/benefits which meet the median expectations of workers within that field (e.g., similar to competitor employers).

If a new norm establishes in a given field that expects flexible work arrangements or full-time work from home, bosses will have to deal with it for quite awhile to come. Much like the big raises they are giving right now to attract people back into restaurant/hospitality work aren't going to be immediately slashed.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 5:11 PM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:

Uhm, that doesn't make sense, I still do the same amount of work at home, if not more at home than at an office. You're argument would make sense if I fucked around and drove around all day and didn't work but that isn't the case. Don't know why youre so pissed about people working from home, probably because you would like to work from home but can't.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 5:19 PM
The City

If bosses were happy about people working from home, we wouldn’t be reading articles about companies calling people back into their offices.

So….you’re not convincing me of anything when you spin your story about how “hard working” you are at home. I’ve been around the block a bit too many times

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 5:21 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Bosses can't actually make any money without having workers. In order to keep/retain workers they need to offer wages/benefits which meet the median expectations of workers within that field (e.g., similar to competitor employers).

If a new norm establishes in a given field that expects flexible work arrangements or full-time work from home, bosses will have to deal with it for quite awhile to come. Much like the big raises they are giving right now to attract people back into restaurant/hospitality work aren't going to be immediately slashed.
Nah, workers who want to sit and do nothing are easy to replace, or face a major pay cut at the least. American workers are not as special as you want to think. Add value through your work and commitment, not by trying to have an easy life.

Too many Americans just want to be lazy and have it easy. It’s time for a reckoning.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriandrade View Post
I’m very happy with those news popping everywhere that companies don’t believe on remote working and very soon people will all be back to office.

Morgan Stanley went straight to the point: if you want a NYC pay, you better live in NYC.

From my experience, remote working doesn’t work. Most people get accommodate, lose sense of priority and get bitter believing the company owes than more and more. And a minority remains productive, but is usually individualistic, focusing exclusively on their agenda, ignoring daily boss’ orders.

And back to SkyscraperPage, that’s wonderful news. Our cities will be back and those obnoxious, exclusive gate communities, “charming” exurb towns will be back to irrelevance.
Totally agree. However much some people may enjoy it, WFH is bad for cities.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Nah, workers who want to sit and do nothing are easy to replace, or face a major pay cut at the least. American workers are not as special as you want to think. Add value through your work and commitment, not by trying to have an easy life.

Too many Americans just want to be lazy and have it easy. It’s time for a reckoning.
American productivity is pretty similar to other developed countries. The U.S. is literally smack dab in the middle of productivity when it comes to OECD-tracked nations.

Now, different countries have different work systems. In Germany the norm is to not put in a lot of hours at the office, but work very hard while you're there (and not take work home with you). In Japan the norm is to work long hours in order to impress the boss, but get very little done. But even these two startlingly different ways of doing office work lead to comparable productivity (in $$$ generated per hour) - and the bottom line is generally what's important for businesses.

In general, I would concur though that white-collar workers actually work much less than blue collar workers. There have actually been studies that suggest the eight-hour day does not work for office work - that a six hour day would be better. Essentially it has been found that on average, productivity in the office drops to zero after six hours, regardless of how much time people are at the "office" and how much overtime they do. While there are of course outliers, I don't think the average person is capable of dealing with constant heavy workloads of intellectually taxing work for the entire time they are in the office. Not to mention of course how much time is wasted on useless meetings in the average office environment.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 5:35 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Uhm, that doesn't make sense, I still do the same amount of work at home, if not more at home than at an office. You're argument would make sense if I fucked around and drove around all day and didn't work but that isn't the case. Don't know why youre so pissed about people working from home, probably because you would like to work from home but can't.
Nailed it; his salt level is high, and he's bound to put you on ignore . Businesses can save money and increase worker happiness, which means productivity will also increase. Or "let the market decide", which is now dominated by those looking for work/looking for better benefits.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 5:41 PM

Quote:

I work way more in a work from home situation than when I go to the office. That's one of the reasons I hate WFH so much. It's too easy for the boundaries between work and home to get blurred... at least for me. I like the psychological break between being at work and being at home. I see why people who have more rigid 9-to-5 schedules might like it better, though.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
I work way more in a work from home situation than when I go to the office. That's one of the reasons I hate WFH so much. It's too easy for the boundaries between work and home to get blurred... at least for me. I like the psychological break between being at work and being at home. I see why people who have more rigid 9-to-5 schedules might like it better, though.
You could immediately tell when covid started how work hours had basically extended. Pretty much everyone in my group was green for "active" on Microsoft Teams well into the night, whereas before you'd usually see a bunch of yellows from the senior vps/partners as they left for their commute home, and then maybe an hour of green later as they checked emails before bed.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 6:01 PM

Personally though I found WFH terrible and unproductive, but 90% of this is because my kids were also doing school from home, and - despite my wife saying she'd split covering my son's school time equally with me - I ended up doing the lion's share of online schooling with him due to her having a more busy meeting schedule.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Is this from your experience being an employer, or being the person actually working from home?

My partner has been working from home since April of last year. It took him a while to adjust, and he said that for the first 3 months or so, the big bosses were on him and everyone else working from home; he felt that the big bosses' attitude was that they were ASSUMING the people working from home were goofing off just because they were home, so they were constantly checking up on them through emails, phone calls, and regular conference calls. My partner (and some of his other coworkers) were thinking 'shouldn't we be working instead of wasting time with these goddamned conference calls that are really all about nothing??' After a while, those needless conference calls went away. My partner has gotten used to working from home and is actually very productive. There's talk of them going back to the office in September, but for each worker, only a few days a week. He says that one disadvantage of working from home is that it's harder to collaborate and work as a team; when everyone's at the office, it's easier to help each other out with work, or if someone gets bogged down, you can easily just go to someone and say "Oh, can you did this for me, I have to finish up with such-and-such report."
Employee, working on the ground but with several colleagues remote. It doesn’t work. As time goes by, they get more and more alienated from company’s culture.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Remote work is selfish

Period.
Precisely. Many people start to get paranoid, recluse, get bitter against their companies, believe remote work is a fundamental right instead of being graciously allowed by their company.

Thank God that nightmare is near the end.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Totally agree. However much some people may enjoy it, WFH is bad for cities.
I imagine some people enjoy. There is this recent trend in western societies to self glorify introverts. Not wrong of being an introvert, I’m more close to it than to extroverts, but I don’t think it’s something you should cherish, specially in our extremely individualistic and self serving culture.

You add remote working on that mix, boom, you have a dystopia.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions