HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 19, 2022, 3:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
I'll concede the current trophy looks a lot better than the old Timbits soccer trophy it replaced (even if the old one was a cup lol). But, I still think it should have some heft commensurate with the event. Maybe not as big as the Stanley Cup, but if there is another event tailor made for the concept of engraving the players' names on the trophy, I don't know what it is.
I love it the way it is but if they did change it, forget not quite as big as the SC. Go big or go home! Bigger than the Indy 500 trophy. I've seen it, or the the replica, when at the musuem at the track (for the US GP). Even though it's bigger than Lord Stanley, the SC is still the most impressive to look at in person. And touch. Well, the replica, when at the HOF. You can't touch the replicas at Canton or Cooperstown. I've never been to Springfield so can't comment on that Larry O'B. trophy for the NBA. Grey Cup is a pretty damn nice trophy too. And very ergonomic. But can't touch it there at the HOF in Hamilton.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports...dway-in-india/

Old Posted Dec 19, 2022, 4:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
I'll concede the current trophy looks a lot better than the old Timbits soccer trophy it replaced (even if the old one was a cup lol). But, I still think it should have some heft commensurate with the event. Maybe not as big as the Stanley Cup, but if there is another event tailor made for the concept of engraving the players' names on the trophy, I don't know what it is.
I love that the World Cup trophy is physically a small trophy. but it's not everyone's taste

South America's top trophies get the teams added.

Libertadores Trophy which has every winner on it

And the Copa America trophy

Old Posted Dec 19, 2022, 11:59 AM

Ah, Messi with the Copa America in 2021, WC in 2022 and Champs League trophy in 2023? And then return to Argentina to see out his playing days and lift the Copa Lib?

Old Posted Dec 19, 2022, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
Ah, Messi with the Copa America in 2021, WC in 2022 and Champs League trophy in 2023? And then return to Argentina to see out his playing days and lift the Copa Lib?
Messi has nothing left to really prove

Old Posted Dec 19, 2022, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tg11 View Post
Messi has nothing left to really prove
Correct. But I am talking about him lifting tournament trophies in consecutive years.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2022, 1:16 PM

Messi will be in MLS after he finishes PSG contract.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2022, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samne View Post
Messi will be in MLS after he finishes PSG contract.
If Messi goes to MLS then I wouldn't have a problem with that

Old Posted Dec 19, 2022, 2:50 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I’m assuming more Quebeckers would support France. I think much more people around here supported Argentina whether their Latin, Italian or just Messi fans.
Québécois don't typically cheer for French athletes or sports teams internationally. They cheer for the Canadian teams that Québécois athletes are a part of.

That said a bit of a thing has developed with some people here around Les Bleus over the years due to so much media hype (ie pop music songs like Ramenons la coupe à la maison or Coup de boule) and of course contacts with French friends, neighbours and colleagues.

There are still lots of Québécois who cheer for Portugal, Brazil, Argentina or a bunch of other teams at the World Cup, for all sorts of reasons.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2022, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Québécois don't typically cheer for French athletes or sports teams internationally. They cheer for the Canadian teams that Québécois athletes are a part of.

That said a bit of a thing has developed with some people here around Les Bleus over the years due to so much media hype (ie pop music songs like Ramenons la coupe à la maison or Coup de boule) and of course contacts with French friends, neighbours and colleagues.

There are still lots of Québécois who cheer for Portugal, Brazil, Argentina or a bunch of other teams at the World Cup, for all sorts of reasons.
I was referring to the Finals specifically. Quebeckers may have more connection to France. While around here more of a connection to Argentina for various reasons.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2022, 5:17 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlt View Post
Top 4 finishes are held in pretty high regard in WC lore and it matters whether you were third or fourth.
It's usually pretty common for the Third Place game to be more entertaining than the Final. This year's Final was an all-timer, though, and very fitting to cap off what was probably one of the better, if not the best, World Cups i've been alive for. Here's hoping FIFA sticks with the four-team groups for 2026.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2022, 5:19 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I was referring to the Finals specifically. Quebeckers may have more connection to France. While around here more of a connection to Argentina for various reasons.
Obviously I don't disagree about the (obvious) Quebec-France connection, though not getting what is special about the Toronto-Argentina or ROC-Argentina connection.

There are 10,000 people of Argentinian origin in Ontario, and about 5,000 in Quebec.

The Minister of Canadian Heritage, Pablo Rodriguez, is an Argentine-Québécois from east end Montreal.

I think that the support for Argentina in much of the world is based on a number of factors:

- France last won 2018, whereas Argentina last won in 1986

- France is a European developed world country and substantial power, with a colonial legacy as well, whereas Argentina are more of a "little guy" (to some degree)

- the whole Lionel Messi factor in general

Old Posted Dec 19, 2022, 6:04 PM

I think Argentina is likeable is general for having a legacy but also being one of the few national teams whose jerseys have a pattern. Actually, the only two I can think right now are Argentina (La Albiceste - white and sky blue) and Croatia (nicknamed Kockasti - checkered ones) both of which always look good with their patterned jersey. Plus Peru with their red stripe but they don’t have legacy and it’s boring. Mind you, if they did have the track record, more people would appreciate that unique diagonal stripe.

Netherlands I’m sure also has fans due to legacy combined with the iconic orange. Their nickname is Le Oranje. Not a pattern but not many teams have orange and everyone loves orange.

New Zealand has the rare black kit and black is awesome. If they were anywhere as good as their rugby team then I’m sure a lot of neutrals would be onboard with them.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2022, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Obviously I don't disagree about the (obvious) Quebec-France connection, though not getting what is special about the Toronto-Argentina or ROC-Argentina connection.

There are 10,000 people of Argentinian origin in Ontario, and about 5,000 in Quebec.

The Minister of Canadian Heritage, Pablo Rodriguez, is an Argentine-Québécois from east end Montreal.

I think that the support for Argentina in much of the world is based on a number of factors:

- France last won 2018, whereas Argentina last won in 1986

- France is a European developed world country and substantial power, with a colonial legacy as well, whereas Argentina are more of a "little guy" (to some degree)

- the whole Lionel Messi factor in general
Yes- more of a connection to the Argentina team for a variety of reasons.

#1 is Messi. Even people who don’t follow soccer know him and the story of this WC

Latin American population tend support fellow countries at this stage. I think Caribbean too..

Italian Canadians. GTA has as many Italians as ROC combined. Argentina is mostly of Italian origin. Argentines have long legacy in Italian Serie A.

Argentina is an iconic football team, synonymous with the game almost as much as Brazil.

France is not really an iconic team. Have had recent success over past 20+ years, but not thought of one of the historic teams.

All these factors together is why more people connected with Argentina as opposed to France.

I think if England ever made it to the finals, it would be off the charts here…

Old Posted Dec 19, 2022, 8:34 PM

Old Posted Dec 19, 2022, 8:34 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Good of you to mention Italians. Italians and Italian origin people all over the world often cheer for Argentina as their second national team. A large part of the celebrations in Montreal yesterday were in the heart of Little Italy.

As for England, I admit to wondering how Anglo-Canadians would react. I think it would have to be a built-up thing for it to be comparable to interest in the French team in Quebec, which has been ramping up due to its successes over the past 25 years.

If England made a good run at one single World Cup? Not sure if there would be that big of an impact in Canada. But who knows?

(I also think that more generally Quebec might actually be closer to France than Anglo-Canada is to the UK in some ways at this point.)

Also, the English team generates very little interest in Quebec, though francophones do have some sympathy for Scotland and Ireland, when they are there!

Last edited by Acajack; Dec 19, 2022 at 9:59 PM.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2022, 9:54 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Latin American population tend support fellow countries at this stage.
No. Latin Americans tend not to transpose their football allegiances from what I've seen, and they are particularly not disposed to liking or being sympathetic to Argentina. The straw poll I did in the last couple of weeks of Latin Americans I am acquainted with, regarding the question of whom to support in the final, was not unexpectedly unanimous in support of France, and included many side eyes and scrunched eyebrows when I asked, jokingly, why not Argentina?

Old Posted Dec 19, 2022, 10:00 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
No. Latin Americans tend not to transpose their football allegiances from what I've seen, and they are particularly not disposed to liking or being sympathetic to Argentina. The straw poll I did in the last couple of weeks of Latin Americans I am acquainted with, regarding the question of whom to support in the final, was not unexpectedly unanimous in support of France, and included many side eyes and scrunched eyebrows when I asked, jokingly, why not Argentina?
I love Argentina personally and have personal ties to the country, but from what I gather they are not always the most well-liked nationality in Latin America.

They have a reputation for being haughty.

Italians who speak Spanish but think they are British (or German).

Old Posted Dec 19, 2022, 10:08 PM

I wonder if England will ever get to a point where they’re like the Chicago Cubs? Loveable losers.

Probably not. They probably will be closer to the Leafs. Doubly so if they actually win it all.

And this ends my contribution.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2022, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Don't know what Latin AMericans you were talking to but many do indeed cheer for other Latin American countries. Including myself. We would cheer for any country on this side of the ocean, in the americas over any other regions. At least the Latinos i know. Maradona had a huge following thoughout latin america but like many things in Latin America politics are tide into it. Right leaning Latinos might tend to cheer for European teams. Leftist would never even consider that. When I say leftist I am talking in the traditional sense, not this new gender neutral sjw Left we see here in North America. I am very happy for Argentina.

Acajack is correct Argentineans do have a rep for being a little stuck up. I think it is rather unfair. They are not nearly as bad as some of their neighbors.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 12:50 AM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
Don't know what Latin AMericans you were talking to but many do indeed cheer for other Latin American countries. Including myself. We would cheer for any country on this side of the ocean, in the americas over any other regions. At least the Latinos i know.
Mostly Mexicans in restaurants. I'm not gonna claim to be an authority on this, but it's fairly clear to this outsider that Latin American solidarity doesn't extend to Argentina, and that practically nobody in Latin America is celebrating the win outside of Argentina.

Messi is beloved all over the world and has passionate fans everywhere, but you'll notice the distinct lack of Latin American countries represented in videos of fans worldwide celebrating the win.

Video Link

Video Link

In Rio de Janeiro it's all Albiceleste.

Video Link

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada