HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 14, 2022, 2:35 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
yes. if you're feeling ill or displaying symptoms of a respiratory infection and you have to be out in public, then wearing a mask is a very nice courtesy. and it would be nice if that part of masking does become more normalized in or society.

do you have a fever, are you coughing, and do you still have to go to the grocery store this morning? then by all means, put a mask on as a courtesy to others. nothing at all wrong with that.

but for those that are healthy, it's time to go back to wearing our faces in public.
Exactly

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Mar 14, 2022, 2:37 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAN Man View Post
Why didn't you quarantine and isolate yourself? Your mask did very little from spreading it to other people.
that is completely false.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2022, 2:40 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

covid is over -- it's just politics maaaan!

https://www.amny.com/transit/mask-ma...ransit-subway/

Old Posted Mar 14, 2022, 2:41 PM

This thread is hilarious.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2022, 2:47 PM

Quote:
How do you know it worked? Did you go around and contact trace every single person and place you went to?
You're mischaracterizing what I said. But without getting into details, yes, I kept track of who I was in close contact with.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2022, 2:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
that is completely false.
There has been no obvious difference in case counts from the latest wave between states with mask mandates and states without them. Going back, every state and country that mandated masks still experienced huge waves of infections. This is why Dr. Fauci came out and said wearing a face covering does almost nothing.

If you're infected, the best thing to do is isolate and quarantine, not wear a mask and interact with people.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2022, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
How about blinders and face shields on them so they cannot look at your food.
Face shields aren't a bad idea. You ever see a line cook with sweat beading on his forehead? Makes me cringe, and promptly lose my appetite. Face shields and masks at a minimum, but full bunny suits would be best.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2022, 2:54 PM

Quote:
There has been no obvious difference in case counts from the latest wave between states with mask mandates and states without them. Going back, every state and country that mandated masks still experienced huge waves of infections. This is why Dr. Fauci came out and said wearing a face covering does almost nothing.
This isn't true at all. There's been a pretty huge difference. The performance is really not even close.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2022, 3:02 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:

If you're infected, the best thing to do is isolate and quarantine, not wear a mask and interact with people.

case counts are influenced by a great number of factors. on an individual basis masking yourself in certain situations directly keeps positive individuals from making others sick. and provides protection for the wearer as well. you know this.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2022, 3:58 PM

When it comes down to it, mask wearing has just developed into a social norm in certain places, and in certain circumstances.

I mean, in my city, if I go out to a restaurant, no one is wearing a mask, but if I go to a grocery store, 90%+ of people are still wearing masks.

Sure, there's no rational reason for widespread mask wearing at this point. But there's also no rational reason to not go out to a nice restaurant with a shirt with paint stains all over it. Or to pick your nose in public and eat it. Or to audibly fart in a public place and then giggle about it. None of those things actually hurt other people really, but if you do them, you'll be judged. And some people don't like to be judged.

I'm not sure where it goes from here, TBH. But I think being an asshole about others wearing masks will make it take longer to go away, because a lot of people still wear masks in some situations because they don't want to be seen as an asshole.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2022, 4:33 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

its all falling away anyway, let it happen. of course its going to be at a different rate in different situations and regions. meh.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2022, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
yes. if you're feeling ill or displaying symptoms of a respiratory infection and you have to be out in public, then wearing a mask is a very nice courtesy. and it would be nice if that part of masking does become more normalized in or society.

do you have a fever, are you coughing, and do you still have to go to the grocery store this morning? then by all means, put a mask on as a courtesy to others. nothing at all wrong with that.

but for those that are healthy, it's time to go back to wearing our faces in public.
This is actually what people in East Asian countries have done for some time. It was never a universal, prophylactic precaution (maybe some hypochondriacs). And it partly stems from the workaholic Japanese just not being able to stay home and take a sick day, so putting on a surgical mask and crowding into a train was the next best option.

That might make perfect sense in Western cities as well, although the pandemic has also made it more possible to just, you know, stay at home as well.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Mar 14, 2022, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
Face shields aren't a bad idea. You ever see a line cook with sweat beading on his forehead? Makes me cringe, and promptly lose my appetite. Face shields and masks at a minimum, but full bunny suits would be best.
But then his mask fogs up and he can’t see what’s in front of him well enough to do your job properly.

A word of advice - if you’re really uncomfortable with someone else’s fingers touching your food, don’t eat at restaurants.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Mar 14, 2022, 5:01 PM
The City

Ahhh, my favorite meme of this thread:

Get out, you snerks!

I think we can safely say that the "snerks" are gone.......or are they?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Mar 14, 2022, 5:17 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Yeah, seriously. This should be a thing. They already have to wear gloves and hair nets. After what we've learned about respiratory droplets being transmitted through the air, this makes sense.
As if we don't have a problem with employee retention in the service sector. Let's make their working conditions even worse.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2022, 5:24 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
As if we don't have a problem with employee retention in the service sector. Let's make their working conditions even worse.
I for one won't eat at any establishment that doesn't require its workers to wear fully-respirated hazmat suits.

can't be too safe!

Old Posted Mar 14, 2022, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Should we stop requiring them to wash their hands after dropping a deuce to improve retention? Raise their wages if that's really an issue.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2022, 5:51 PM

^^What an absurd false equivalency.

But by all means, if you want to pay more for food served by the masked underclass you’re proposing, tip them 50% instead of 20%. You could even requested masked only waiters. You might be laughed out of the restaurant, but I’m assuming you’ll be able to find a few restaurants in New York that are still in their covid fever dreams and love them some masks.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2022, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossabreezes View Post
^^What an absurd false equivalency.

But by all means, if you want to pay more for food served by the masked underclass you’re proposing, tip them 50% instead of 20%. You could even requested masked only waiters. You might be laughed out of the restaurant, but I’m assuming you’ll be able to find a few restaurants in New York that are still in their covid fever dreams and love them some masks.
Please explain what is so burdensome about asking someone to put on a face mask while they are being paid to cook food for others. Many of them have been doing this exact thing for the past two years anyway.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2022, 5:59 PM

Plain and simple: you have no right to ask anyone to do that anymore. Level of difficulty on their part is not your place to judge, call, or evaluate.

You clearly look down on food service workers, but I am not surprised by that. Also, if you’re at this level of germ paranoia you’re living in the wrong city. Cue some crazy comment about how “well in New York the trash is actually a lot cleaner than in other cities” or whatever.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions