HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 2:12 AM
Plenary pleasures.

A new construction building located on campus is currently in the feasibility/study phase; at least 4-5 floors, tied with the biological sciences dept, and is currently budgeted at $300 million. It will house the first program of it's kind in the US. Final design is still probably a year or so out (perhaps a little sooner). Cannot provide any more detail at this time, but perhaps info will trickle out from the University itself soon enough.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 3:27 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
A new construction building located on campus is currently in the feasibility/study phase; at least 4-5 floors, tied with the biological sciences dept, and is currently budgeted at $300 million. It will house the first program of it's kind in the US. Final design is still probably a year or so out (perhaps a little sooner). Cannot provide any more detail at this time, but perhaps info will trickle out from the University itself soon enough.
Hmm that's interesting... I'd guess this would go in the Valet lot at 57th and Drexel? I'll keep an eye out for UChicago news...

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 1:23 PM

Quote:
Is this the cancer hospital that's been rumored for years, or are we talking about something different?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 4:46 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafetyFirst View Post
Is this the cancer hospital that's been rumored for years, or are we talking about something different?
No this is different from the cancer hospital, which I believe is planned for the massive lot north of the new main hospital (CCD). This building will be on the north end of campus, straddled between the main university and BSD buildings, near the track/field.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 5:33 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
No this is different from the cancer hospital, which I believe is planned for the massive lot north of the new main hospital (CCD). This building will be on the north end of campus, straddled between the main university and BSD buildings, near the track/field.
Are you telling me they're going to tear down this wonderful piece of craftmanship: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7931...7i16384!8i8192

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 5:15 AM

Quote:
Has there been any update on the cancer hospital? We've heard nothing concrete about it.

Hmmm, so it sounds like this new other building will be educational/research in nature?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 6:43 AM

Last edited by Urbana; Feb 26, 2024 at 4:01 AM.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 6:03 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbana View Post
Is this the site adjacent to the Eckhardt Research Center? The information I have on that site is that it will be tied to the IME/PME not BSD and aprox. 10 stories.
I'm guessing it's this: https://maps.uchicago.edu/location/t...ration-center/

Although I did hear they're doing something with the old HEP building eventually although I thought they had moved a bunch of IME people in there now that the HEP group moved to MCP. I don't think Accelerator is going anywhere anytime too soon? That would ruin the view from our seminar room and the Hubble Lounge .

Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 12:27 AM

Last edited by Urbana; Feb 26, 2024 at 4:01 AM. Reason: .

Old Posted Dec 29, 2019, 8:02 PM
THAT Guy

bKL designed garage / rec center (built in phases)

U. of C. proposes 415-spot parking garage and recreation center at 61st and Kimbark Ave

...The proposed parking garage and recreation center will be located at 61st Street and Kimbark Ave. — currently a vacant site owned by the university. The development will create 415 parking spaces and three floors of recreational space that can be used by members of the public who become members. According to the presentation, the project will happen in two phases.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2019, 8:20 PM
THAT Guy

UChicago Medicine Faculty Tower

Designed and developed a 12-story office tower to be the new home of the University of Chicago Medicine faculty. Connecting to the Center for Care and Discovery the office building is placed atop an existing parking garage and trauma center. The 265k sf tower utilizes a transfer level of truss beam at the top of the 8-story parking garage to achieve efficient core to curtain wall depths and core dimensions.

Circulation into and out of the tower was critical as faculty need direct access to the clinical spaces at the Center for Care and Discovery but also to ground level. Utilizing an existing parking garage stair tower, the project connects directly to the ground via a transfer pavilion.

---
Renovation of Mitchell Hospital into a new cancer center

Old Posted Dec 29, 2019, 9:01 PM
THAT Guy

Picadilly Building - 13th floor event space / ballroom renovation

There's also two lots next door that are for sale, presumably for a mid-rise development

5055 S Dorchester apartments

Old Posted Dec 30, 2019, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
UChicago Medicine Faculty Tower

Designed and developed a 12-story office tower to be the new home of the University of Chicago Medicine faculty. Connecting to the Center for Care and Discovery the office building is placed atop an existing parking garage and trauma center. The 265k sf tower utilizes a transfer level of truss beam at the top of the 8-story parking garage to achieve efficient core to curtain wall depths and core dimensions.

Circulation into and out of the tower was critical as faculty need direct access to the clinical spaces at the Center for Care and Discovery but also to ground level. Utilizing an existing parking garage stair tower, the project connects directly to the ground via a transfer pavilion.

---
Renovation of Mitchell Hospital into a new cancer center
Any idea if these things are actually happening? We've been hearing about Mitchell being turned into a new cancer center for years, but nothing has happened. Was the new faculty tower formally presented, or was this just a design? Thanks!

Old Posted Jan 5, 2020, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Any idea if these things are actually happening? We've been hearing about Mitchell being turned into a new cancer center for years, but nothing has happened. Was the new faculty tower formally presented, or was this just a design? Thanks!
UChicago Medicine files an annual progress report with the Illinois Health Facilities Board.

In 2018, they said the cancer center renovation was proving more expensive than expected. In 2019, they said they were considering a new design:

https://www2.illinois.gov/sites/hfsr...20received.pdf

In its 2017 annual report, UChicago Medicine said the Cancer Center was a 5-year project, expected to open about 2022:

https://www2.illinois.gov/sites/hfsr...PPLICATION.pdf

https://www2.illinois.gov/sites/hfsr...go-16-008.aspx

Last edited by WestsideLA; Jan 6, 2020 at 5:27 AM.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 5:01 AM

Quote:
Since the day the new parking garage was announced, it has always been mentioned that the eventual plan was to build an office building on top of part of it. See this link:

https://ucmfacilities.uchicago.edu/c...king_facility/

"To help alleviate parking pressures for the Center for Care & Discovery and the medical campus as a whole, the Medical Center is constructing a eight-story garage at 57th Street and Cottage Grove Avenue,... a structure partially hardened to allow for the future construction of an 8 story Medical Office Building above a portion of the top floor."

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 5:09 AM

As for Harper Court Phase 2 / Wexford...there was a community meeting on Thursday, October 17, 2019. Estimated start 2nd Q of 2020.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2020, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestsideLA View Post
Since the day the new parking garage was announced, it has always been mentioned that the eventual plan was to build an office building on top of part of it. See this link:

https://ucmfacilities.uchicago.edu/c...king_facility/

"To help alleviate parking pressures for the Center for Care & Discovery and the medical campus as a whole, the Medical Center is constructing a eight-story garage at 57th Street and Cottage Grove Avenue,... a structure partially hardened to allow for the future construction of an 8 story Medical Office Building above a portion of the top floor."
It's been 5 years. It's not happening, lol.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2020, 5:35 AM

Quote:
It's been 5 years. It's not happening, lol.
For instance, Harper Court Phase 1 opened in 2013. And Phase 2 is starting construction in 2020.

I believe the UChicago Medicine Parking Garage B opened in 2015. The Emergency Room opened in 2017. And I think the Trauma Center in 2018. These things are expensive and take time. The hospital has a whole elaborate 10-year-plan, which I guess is now being called Vision 2025 or something.

And the medical officer tower has grown from 8 stories to now 12...

The original plan was to knock down Mitchell and build a new Cancer Hospital. Then they decided to renovate but are now finding it very expensive.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestsideLA View Post
For instance, Harper Court Phase 1 opened in 2013. And Phase 2 is starting construction in 2020.

I believe the UChicago Medicine Parking Garage B opened in 2015. The Emergency Room opened in 2017. And I think the Trauma Center in 2018. These things are expensive and take time. The hospital has a whole elaborate 10-year-plan, which I guess is now being called Vision 2025 or something.

And the medical officer tower has grown from 8 stories to now 12...

The original plan was to knock down Mitchell and build a new Cancer Hospital. Then they decided to renovate but are now finding it very expensive.
In the Harper projects, we have been hearing updates over the past few years on it. We haven't heard anything about this medical faculty tower in 5 years.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 3:09 PM

Quote:
They're very much real and actually happening. I've heard the number $150M bandied about.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development