HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 12, 2022, 4:23 PM
surely you agree with me

at this point, I'd be happy with one hotel tower and a completed podium, but let's hope they do both.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2022, 5:08 PM

The language description surrounding the second tower has always been dubious, condo, residential, but the plan has always been for Sutton’s extended stay brand, La Grande Résidence.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Dec 12, 2022, 5:20 PM
surely you agree with me

^ that's good to know....thanks.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2022, 5:34 PM
BANNED

Hey lets let anyone occupy the Millennium Library, what could go wrong!?

And all the lefties against metal detectors and weapons checks, happy now?

https://globalnews.ca/news/6586540/w...brary-protest/

Old Posted Dec 12, 2022, 5:45 PM

^ I agree that it is sad/aggravating... but in the Winnipeg Construction thread?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2022, 6:21 PM

What exactly is the point to linking an article from nearly 3 years ago?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2022, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post

Sure, the metal detectors should still be there. But then we'd just be reading about a homicide on Graham ave in front of the library instead. Or maybe in the bus shelter. Do you really feel safer if somebody gets stabbed right outside the library doors instead of inside the library?

Maybe instead of blaming "lefties" you should be asking what the fuck WPS does with the $320 million we give them each year, this is literally across the street from their HQ. $320 million and it's total lawlessness right outside their front door. That's a billion dollars every 3 years. What are we even getting for it? Maybe they could find some time in between bitching about parking and racking up overtime in court to, I dunno, go patrol the damn streets 50 feet away?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2022, 7:24 PM

The Police are scared to walk to their car downtown. Nevermind actual police walking the beat. Do they even do that anymore?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2022, 7:34 PM
surely you agree with me

can we move this discussion elsewhere?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2022, 10:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTH View Post
Sure, the metal detectors should still be there. But then we'd just be reading about a homicide on Graham ave in front of the library instead. Or maybe in the bus shelter. Do you really feel safer if somebody gets stabbed right outside the library doors instead of inside the library?

Maybe instead of blaming "lefties" you should be asking what the fuck WPS does with the $320 million we give them each year, this is literally across the street from their HQ. $320 million and it's total lawlessness right outside their front door. That's a billion dollars every 3 years. What are we even getting for it? Maybe they could find some time in between bitching about parking and racking up overtime in court to, I dunno, go patrol the damn streets 50 feet away?
I agree! (bolded)

And it was left wing bleeding hearts who demanded the metal detectors be removed in the first place!

Old Posted Dec 12, 2022, 10:17 PM

Quote:

THis is why I don't take my kid down there anymore. They have found weapons and needles in the library and these clowns are against security measures?? Why do people always complain about increased security? SMH.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2022, 10:58 PM
surely you agree with me

Old Posted Dec 12, 2022, 11:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Which thread should this discussion go into, expresso? Seems a little more important than the trivial stuff in there, no?

If public spaces in downtown Winnipeg aren’t safe why would anyone want to spend time there or live downtown for that matter!?

Egg heads like Joe Curnow and his ilk will never get it! Urbanism doesn’t mean lawlessness!

Old Posted Dec 13, 2022, 12:53 AM

I thought it was pretty obvious... it has nothing to do with the thread topic. That's the reason.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2022, 2:01 AM

Quote:
Which thread should this discussion go into, expresso? Seems a little more important than the trivial stuff in there, no?
The topic of a thread is the topic. You don't get to hijack a thread because the correct thread won't give you the reach and visibility you want for your hot takes

Old Posted Dec 13, 2022, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Just getting the podium in would be a win IMO. That would really solidify the street wall along Carlton. And as we've seen from 300 Main, phase twos can eventually happen, even if we have to wait decades for them to materialize

But yes, I'd prefer for the two towers to get built as originally planned.
If we settle for just a podium then we should have left the hotel that was there alone. Last thing we need is another podium for 40 years lol. If sutten cannot build when was promised then let them fail as I'm sure someone would buy that land up since the foundations are in and build.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2022, 5:20 AM

This morning when I was downtown at Thom Bargen on Graham I saw a drone hovering over the Sutton construction site. Someone must’ve got some good drone footage of the site today… anyone on here I wonder?

Old Posted Dec 13, 2022, 2:18 PM
What could go wrong?

I heard some positive news about a formerly cancelled project that may be coming back to life. It is only 3 storeys, but I can honestly say it was/is one of my favorite proposals. Still early on in it's possible re-birth.

Downtown, empty lot...sorry have to be cryptic right now.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Dec 13, 2022, 2:48 PM

Considering there is a proposal to do renovations to the parking structure under the Millennium Library to accommodate the "safety" concerns of the Winnipeg Police Service members, a major violent crime happening in the same building is definitely material to general construction news in Winnipeg. Sorry if that ruins the shiny renders thread for any of you.

The Winnipeg Police as a whole needs to answer some serious question when their core purpose for existing is to maintain public safety yet their own members feel unsafe outside the doors of their HQ. Also it is okay to talk here how downtown Winnipeg needs more residents but it is not okay to talk about both the perceived and actual safety issues in downtown that could be keeping the city from attracting residents to live downtown?

Sorry, these issues are all interconnected and the discussion 100% belongs in this thread.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2022, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
If we settle for just a podium then we should have left the hotel that was there alone. Last thing we need is another podium for 40 years lol. If sutten cannot build when was promised then let them fail as I'm sure someone would buy that land up since the foundations are in and build.
The old hotel was a mess. Even if the second Sutton tower isn't built right away, having a block long podium with one Sutton tower and the Wawanesa tower at the other end is a massive improvement. At sidewalk level the podium is the improvement. And that also leaves the door open for the second Sutton tower to get built eventually. But we'll see... maybe we're in for some good news about the timing of that tower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I heard some positive news about a formerly cancelled project that may be coming back to life. It is only 3 storeys, but I can honestly say it was/is one of my favorite proposals. Still early on in it's possible re-birth.

Downtown, empty lot...sorry have to be cryptic right now.
Well if it's the one I'm thinking of then that's certainly good news.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan