HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Dec 30, 2022, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanRevival View Post
A lot of people assume that negative social media comments even originate from residents of the Philadelphia metro area.

We all know there's a certain cadre of individuals out there who live for nothing more than to take potshots and get their jollies from any misfortune to befall cities like Philadelphia, and they tend to be of a certain extreme political persuasion and are led to these reposted online stories from politically-charged website that love to fuel the fire of the "dying cities" narrative.

I'm not convinced that they don't post these comments from their sad, miserable holes in the most remote places you can think of, hundreds of miles from Philadelphia. That, or they're Russian bots (also not out of the question).
I’m sure there’s some of that nationally but most of the ones that comment on local outlets appear to be from the Greater Philly area and Jersey. Of all the places I’ve lived, the politics of the Greater Philly region is the most perplexing and frustrating I’ve found. But maybe that’s a good thing. Coming from CA, I still don’t quite understand everyone’s politics on here. It’s different.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2022, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtphilly View Post
https://www.inquirer.com/business/re...-20221230.html

Some additional info from the Inquirer, the store replacing Marshalls is a national chain that is already in Philly and relocating. Watch it be the Shoppers World
Good guess but didn’t they just open last year? Could be them, Five Below or Ross I’m thinking…Or maybe Primark is trying to find a long term space for if/when they have to move for the stadium.

Also, have to say that this was a well balanced, reasonable article from Jake Blumgart that didn’t give into the clickbait, “the sky is falling” hysteria.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2022, 7:38 PM

Good news for the Philly Skyscraperpage Luxury Brand Caucus…you know who you are

Hospitality leaders say Philadelphia is ready to claim bigger slice of luxury travel market

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...venue-two.html

Old Posted Dec 30, 2022, 8:20 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
Good news for the Philly Skyscraperpage Luxury Brand Caucus…you know who you are

Hospitality leaders say Philadelphia is ready to claim bigger slice of luxury travel market

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...venue-two.html
That's good to hear.

Philadelphia is ready for another luxury hotel. And the clock is ticking if a project plans to open by 2026.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2022, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
That's good to hear.

Philadelphia is ready for another luxury hotel. And the clock is ticking if a project plans to open by 2026.
Have to imagine Virgin is still looking since they have seemingly lost their Broad and Lombard vision.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2022, 8:35 PM
Fishtown & Country

12/30 Girard near Frankford

Old Posted Dec 30, 2022, 8:43 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtphilly View Post
https://www.inquirer.com/business/re...-20221230.html

Some additional info from the Inquirer, the store replacing Marshalls is a national chain that is already in Philly and relocating. Watch it be the Shoppers World
But Shoppers World’s current lease runs to some time in 2026.

Here’s a table of expiration years for large format stores at the Fashion District from a PREIT Q2 supplement:
Burlington 2032
AMC 2034
Round 1 2029
City Winery 2038
H&M 2030
Shopper's World 2026
Primark 2032

Old Posted Dec 30, 2022, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleetMcDougle View Post
Have to imagine Virgin is still looking since they have seemingly lost their Broad and Lombard vision.
Since we’re just spitballing here, it’s be amazing if they did something in Market East that opened as the Sixers get construction going on the stadium. A setup like TD Garden in Boston but if the residents there hadn’t deep six’d taller towers would be incredible for the city.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2022, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleetMcDougle View Post
There is 8th and Market prime for building. I hope Market East will be refreshed especially by that CVS and 11st street station.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2022, 2:31 AM

Off topic but I traveled down Ridge in Roxborough today and counted 25 3-6 story apartment projects either recently built or u/c and a couple proposed (+ a handful of townhome projects). All hideous and cheap looking but collectively adding good density. The stretch around here and here is almost unrecognizable. Few projects have retail, although I did see a former gas staton transformed into a sidewalk hugging retail space. Overall, it's good to see this development and growth.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2023, 6:44 PM

Is there a CDR meeting this month?

Old Posted Jan 2, 2023, 1:07 AM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesisinphilly View Post
Is there a CDR meeting this month?
No, the next CDR is February 7th. Here’s the calendar for CDR and Planning Commission meetings: https://www.phila.gov/the-latest/all...g%20Commission

Last edited by Jayfar; Jan 2, 2023 at 5:21 PM.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2023, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
No, the next CDR is February 7th. Here’s the calendar for CDR and Planning Commission mettings: https://www.phila.gov/the-latest/all...g%20Commission
What is the reason for skipping a month? Lack of projects or just general holiday related laziness?

Old Posted Jan 2, 2023, 11:50 PM

It is truly amazing. Great for businesses on Ridge and Main St. So many new residents. Too bad most all of them probably drive and Septa is cutting bus lines there with the Bus Revolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
Off topic but I traveled down Ridge in Roxborough today and counted 25 3-6 story apartment projects either recently built or u/c and a couple proposed (+ a handful of townhome projects). All hideous and cheap looking but collectively adding good density. The stretch around here and here is almost unrecognizable. Few projects have retail, although I did see a former gas staton transformed into a sidewalk hugging retail space. Overall, it's good to see this development and growth.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2023, 2:39 PM

Comcast Spectacor to move Philadelphia Fusion to South Korea

"Comcast Spectacor is also no longer planning to build a $50 million, 3,500-seat esports arena in South Philly next to Xfinity Live!"

I never really cared about having an esports arena but I was excited to have anything new built at the sports complex. It will always be an abyss of parking lots. Just another reason the 76ers should double down on Center City.

https://www.inquirer.com/news/philad...8vTKDOU7OLApU0

Old Posted Jan 3, 2023, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Instead, the company is planning a smaller venue that could host esports games, concerts, and other events. The company didn’t provide a timeline for or other details about the multipurpose facility, other than to say it’s in the planning stage.
It looks like they're still planning something for the area, just maybe less use-specific

Old Posted Jan 3, 2023, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 700 Block View Post
It is truly amazing. Great for businesses on Ridge and Main St. So many new residents. Too bad most all of them probably drive and Septa is cutting bus lines there with the Bus Revolution.
SEPTA is reallocating buses under Bus Rev- so some areas will see changes that may be less than popular, but that is how it goes when you shift resources. Roxborough has more service than other comparable parts of the city so they naturally are not going to be happy with anything that brings them closer to average. But you have to move buses and manpower from areas of lower demand to those of higher demand to make the type of change envisioned.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2023, 12:38 AM

McDonald's at Broad & Girard getting demolished

DEMOLITION PERMIT
DP-2022-001672

Quote:
FOR THE COMPLETE DEMOLITION OF AN EXISTING DETACHED ONE-STORY STRUCTURE BY HAND DEVICES AND MECHANICAL METHODS. ALL PERMITTED DEMOLITION ACTIVITY TO BE IN ACCORDANCE WITH APPROVED SITE SAFETY DEMOLITION PLAN & SUCH PLAN TO BE MAINTAINED ON SITE AT ALL TIMES IN ACCORDANCE WITH PHILADELPHIA ADMINISTRATIVE CODE

https://eclipse.phila.gov/phillylmsp...ctId=542537757

This lot is screaming for something game-changing. What is the zoning for this lot?

Old Posted Jan 4, 2023, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool-ski View Post
DEMOLITION PERMIT
DP-2022-001672

https://eclipse.phila.gov/phillylmsp...ctId=542537757

This lot is screaming for something game-changing. What is the zoning for this lot?
It's worth noting that McDonald's has been spending billions of dollars over the last couple of years to redevelop their old and tired, classic red-yellow stores such as this one. I'm not saying that's what this is, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is... I'd love to see a mixed-use tower, but I'm afraid it'll just be a nicer McDonald's... Hope I'm proven wrong!

Last edited by Urbanthusiat; Jan 4, 2023 at 1:01 AM.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2023, 1:02 AM
Philly Rising Up!

^
I've seen a few McDonald's get remodeled inside and out, but to totally demolish and rebuild might not be in the cards. Not sure how these franchises work but seems a remodel with even an addition to expand its footprint makes makes more sense from a cost-savings perspective. Also, to sit adjacent to a transit node might make it really attractive to build a new apartment low to mid rise project with ground retail. Guess we will find out at some point after its demolition.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development