HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Dec 21, 2022, 8:51 PM

5+ Story Building replacing Broad St Diner

Looks like a building that's at least 5 stories will replace the Broad Street Diner as previously rumored:

https://eclipse.phila.gov/phillylmsp...ctId=453467740

Old Posted Dec 21, 2022, 10:34 PM

Have to say Walnut has been having good vibes lately. Lots of holiday foot traffic today. Few things I noticed.

- Joybird finally has their “opening soon” signage up.
- Outdoor Voices opened last week.
- Looks like Rescue Spa opened today.
- The new Free People store looks great!
- Work is well under way for Saatva, Madewell and ThirdLove.
- Saw that Alo Yoga might be opening in the former Modell’s space. Summers can you confirm?
- Nothing happening with Faherty still.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2022, 2:11 AM
Philly Pholly

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaNerd View Post
Is there some study being done to possible have Chestnut/Walnut as a car free street? I might have seen this mention on Reddit.

Also as for Retail I hope East Market street between 8th to 11th street get a major facelift. The CVS is pretty bad looking on the outside. It's shocking that 11th and Market does not have a bus shelter for how busy it is.
Is Chestnut and/or Walnut considered evacuation routes?

Old Posted Dec 22, 2022, 4:08 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFTA View Post
Is Chestnut and/or Walnut considered evacuation routes?
Walnut most likely is due to its access to 76, Chestnut could be for the UC side of the city.

According to the Snow emergency route, Walnut is as well as Chestnut

https://www.phila.gov/departments/de...rgency-routes/

Old Posted Dec 22, 2022, 4:22 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjrip View Post
I would bet it's referring to the massive cargo expansion and relocation of UPS, potential addition of a third 27 runway and slight expansion into the Delaware River, and maybe some fresh ideas for the northeast parcel of land.

There are old master plans, but I'm sure things are starting to come more into focus over time. Here's the old master plan from 2010, below.

We have also seen new plans in 2021 for the expanded cargo facility:

I would bet we're gonna finally see a fresh take on the big picture. As a plane nerd I am very excited to hear this.
I hope landscape improvements around the airport and 95 take place, it could use plenty of trees, lights, and a welcome sign for the city on 95, it would really change the look and feel of the area.

Im happy for improvements and upgrades tot he airport area, especially now this the airport can act as it's own branch in the Philly government. Good job Philly

Old Posted Dec 22, 2022, 5:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjrip View Post
I would bet it's referring to the massive cargo expansion and relocation of UPS, potential addition of a third 27 runway and slight expansion into the Delaware River, and maybe some fresh ideas for the northeast parcel of land.

I would bet we're gonna finally see a fresh take on the big picture. As a plane nerd I am very excited to hear this.
I can say for sure the third runway is never happening. The cargo terminal by my guess will be here by 2028 and fully completed by 2032.
As for the terminals I hope we get a redesign of all of them except for A West.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2022, 3:16 PM
Chris

My Philly update...

I was in the city all day and evening yesterday. I stopped by a clients office briefly then my boyfriend and I walked around Center City for a few hours, had dinner, drank a lot (), and saw the Orchestra perform "The Glorious Sounds of Christmas".

Keeping it brief, Center City looked great. The holiday market around City Hall and Love Park was very busy, lively, upbeat. We zigzagged along JFK, Market, Chestnut, Walnut, Locust, Spruce from 30th St to ~12th St. Overall the energy was great, nice decorations, people out shopping and eating, a lot of construction progress, and I noticed police and CCD security too, which was good to see.

Makes me happy to see the city come alive and decorated for the holidays. And the Kimmel Center was nearly sold out for the show, fantastic performance for anyone who likes the orchestra.
And I love exiting Amtrak at 30th Street Station. I do it all the time, but such a nice feeling compared to the crap hole Penn Station in NYC.

The only big "issue" I noticed was the darn hole on Walnut Street. Hopefully redevelopment is coming soon!

Last edited by PHLtoNYC; Dec 22, 2022 at 3:35 PM.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2022, 5:19 PM
Chris

A business improvement district for North Broad Street has finally been approved. Here’s what you need to know

https://www.inquirer.com/news/north-...-20221222.html

After years of planning, a business improvement district (BID) for North Broad Street was finally approved by City Council last month.

Beginning in January 2024, property owners on Broad Street between Spring Garden and West Indiana Avenue will be required to pay an annual fee based on the property’s assessed value in exchange for improvements and maintenance to the once-thriving business corridor.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2022, 5:39 PM

Awesome! I love North Broad and it has SO much potential. The zoning is far more favorable for N Broad vs S Broad as well (which for some reason has a lot of single family rowhome zoning??)

Old Posted Dec 22, 2022, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
A business improvement district for North Broad Street has finally been approved. Here’s what you need to know

After years of planning, a business improvement district (BID) for North Broad Street was finally approved by City Council last month.

Beginning in January 2024, property owners on Broad Street between Spring Garden and West Indiana Avenue will be required to pay an annual fee based on the property’s assessed value in exchange for improvements and maintenance to the once-thriving business corridor.
I wonder if business owners up there are gonna balk at this?

Old Posted Dec 23, 2022, 3:58 AM
PHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaNerd View Post
I can say for sure the third runway is never happening. The cargo terminal by my guess will be here by 2028 and fully completed by 2032.
As for the terminals I hope we get a redesign of all of them except for A West.
Happy to hear about the news on the lack of a third 9R-27L runway honestly. I love being able to drive around back on Hog Island Road. Agreed on the terminals. Redesign plus inter terminal transit like the ‘07-‘10 master plans plz.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2022, 5:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Most have been very supportive and this is the result of years of clamoring for it.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2022, 10:12 AM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
Most have been very supportive and this is the result of years of clamoring for it.
Possibly, but not all businesses were even aware. Some claim to have been missed by North Broad Renaissance’s outreach.
Excerpt:
But while Thomas and North Broad Renaissance have worked diligently to develop the BID, there has been something of a disconnect with some of the business owners on North Broad. A number of them are still unaware that the BID is coming and how it will affect them, and said they wish they were consulted on it. Others are wary of the fees involved, which the property owners are likely to exact from them with increased rent.

“I don’t know really how any organization can improve the business prospects [of North Broad],” said Sai Vuyyuru, the owner of Cure Discount Pharmacy, who said he has yet to hear from NBR about the business improvement district.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2022, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post

"Required to pay annual fee" = tax

Old Posted Dec 23, 2022, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoughtcriminal View Post
"Required to pay annual fee" = tax
Wow. You're like a dictionary! Great job.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2022, 1:43 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong but in order to create a Business Improvement District, the majority of the business owners have to support the initiative?

Old Posted Dec 27, 2022, 2:03 AM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but in order to create a Business Improvement District, the majority of the business owners have to support the initiative?
Or more correctly, 51% of property owners (either by number or by the value of their property) have to NOT submit written objections.
In Philadelphia, the Community and Economic Improvement Act now governs the process for creating BIDs. Under that act, BIDs are authorized by City Council and subject to a public process that includes at least two public hearings and notification of all property owners and tenants within the district. The two hearings are followed by a 45-day objection period. If 51% or more of owners within the district who would be subject to the assessment (either by number or by the value of their property), oppose creation of a BID by writing to the Chief Clerk of City Council, the effort is defeated.
Starting a Business Improvement District in Philadelphia (pdf) | Phila.gov

Old Posted Dec 27, 2022, 8:35 PM

University City Retail Update

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...ill-yards.html

Urbanspace, a New York-based developer of public markets, plans to open a food hall at the Schuylkill Yards development in University City next year.

The venue is expected to open in fall 2023 and will feature 16 food and beverage vendors, including concepts both local to Philadelphia and from Urbanspace's national portfolio. No vendors have been announced yet.

Urbanspace Philadelphia will occupy more than 14,000 square feet of space in the southeast corner of the Bulletin Building at 3025 Market St. It will feature a 13,000-square-foot indoor dining venue and a 1,400-square-foot patio next to the 1.3-acre Drexel Square park. The food hall's location also offers visitors a view of 30th Street Station directly across the street.

I've been to a couple of their NY locations. Standard-elevated food hall fare, but I'm sure it will do well so close to the universities and Amtrak.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2022, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLJD13 View Post
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...ill-yards.html

Urbanspace, a New York-based developer of public markets, plans to open a food hall at the Schuylkill Yards development in University City next year.

The venue is expected to open in fall 2023 and will feature 16 food and beverage vendors, including concepts both local to Philadelphia and from Urbanspace's national portfolio. No vendors have been announced yet.

Urbanspace Philadelphia will occupy more than 14,000 square feet of space in the southeast corner of the Bulletin Building at 3025 Market St. It will feature a 13,000-square-foot indoor dining venue and a 1,400-square-foot patio next to the 1.3-acre Drexel Square park. The food hall's location also offers visitors a view of 30th Street Station directly across the street.

I've been to a couple of their NY locations. Standard-elevated food hall fare, but I'm sure it will do well so close to the universities and Amtrak.
This is awesome. Hopefully it’ll help activate the green space in front of the bulletin building as well.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2022, 11:12 PM

Yeah, this is very good news and should hopefully help enliven the surrounding area and better connect 30th street with Drexel’s campus.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development