HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Feb 5, 2015, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxbot View Post
It's a brutal design and it's surrounded by huge surface lots to the north and the west. I agree - demo part or all of it and consolidate. They should be able to make a huge profit on a sale of that parcel.
PPA does not want to sell it. They park all their vehicles there. The garage is also always filled and profitable.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2015, 5:08 PM

33rd and Chestnut...Demolition well underway. Took these yesterday.

Untitled by Music_Man84, on Flickr

Untitled by Music_Man84, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 5, 2015, 6:44 PM

King of Jeans apartment building update: http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/t...th-Philly.html

24th and Washington update:
http://www.philly.com/philly/classif...shington_.html

Old Posted Feb 5, 2015, 10:59 PM

MusicMan84 beat me to the punch, but here are a few more pics from the demo at 33 x Chestnut in preparation for Drexel's new Study hotel (from today at 4pm):

That's Penn's new dorm in the background

Old Posted Feb 5, 2015, 10:59 PM

Does anyone have any color on what's going on with the Kimpton hotel that is planned for the old family court building? When will this project move forward?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2015, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domodeez View Post
That's Penn's new dorm in the background
Interesting to see one building coming down in front of another one going up.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2015, 11:44 PM

Sure aren't wasting time with that demo

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 2:01 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoroughbred View Post
Probably to support the residences planned for their Broad/Spruce project....
That's what I thought at first. Then I realized this building is actually a converted structure a block and a half away. Awfully far for supplemental parking spaces.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
Innnnnnnnnnteresting.

http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...uce-foods.html

Why would the Post Brothers buy a parking garage?
I like how people are already worried about the Spruce Market sign. It’s the same knee jerk reaction as the whole Little Pete’s drama. I also like the vintage Spruce Market sign but if everyone thinks it’s so great, what’s up with the whole broken, hanging neon bulbs and pieces? I can’t ever remember that sign being lit. It’s another case of something everyone allegedly treasures but at the same time, we just let rot and fall apart in front of our eyes.....that is, until a developer comes along.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
I like how people are already worried about the Spruce Market sign. It’s the same knee jerk reaction as the whole Little Pete’s drama. I also like the vintage Spruce Market sign but if everyone thinks it’s so great, what’s up with the whole broken, hanging neon bulbs and pieces? I can’t ever remember that sign being lit. It’s another case of something everyone allegedly treasures but at the same time, we just let rot and fall apart in front of our eyes.....that is, until a developer comes along.
Completely agree. Shirt Corner Plus was like this too. BUT...even with it falling apart, it adds to the "character" of the area and the feel of what it once was. I do wish more developers would find interesting ways to preserve the "charming" characteristics of certain areas...similar to what the post brothers are doing with the interior graffiti artists in callowhill.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 3:09 PM

Character doesn't pay the bills. I mean, I'm not advocating to replace rows of townhomes with high rises and become Manhattan. But it's ridiculous to preserve some of these types of buildings (and in some cases, parking lots -http://planphilly.com/articles/2014/...et-of-manayunk). No one - especially not City Council - are asking legitimate questions like, how much tax revenue is this property producing vs how much tax revenue would it produce if developed to its potential? Cars do not pay taxes or patronize nearby restaurants and shops but people do. Anytime you can replace a parking garage or lot with housing, lodging, or office space, it is going to be a win for the city and something that the city should support in every single instance.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawdycav View Post
Does anyone have any color on what's going on with the Kimpton hotel that is planned for the old family court building? When will this project move forward?
I believe it's still planned. They're just waiting for the Family Court to completely relocate to the new building at 15th and Arch. I would expect to see movement on the hotel sometime this year.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 4:19 PM
Φιλαδέλφεια

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Article on 8th and Filbert PPA Parking Garage makeover
http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...le-center.html

From the article: "The garage was constructed in the 1960s to provide more parking beyond what was available along Market Street and to eventually serve what ended up becoming The Gallery........."

Well I guess that answers a lot of questions. If I had a time machine, the first place I'd go is the 1950's, 1960's and 1970's and knock some sense into city planners.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 9:13 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
I believe it's still planned. They're just waiting for the Family Court to completely relocate to the new building at 15th and Arch. I would expect to see movement on the hotel sometime this year.
15th and arch is fully operational. I think the hold up has been waiting for the city to convey the property to the developers. I dont know that it has happened yet. BUt the staff and their stuff is long gone.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2015, 11:52 AM

I think we'll see an imminent renovation of the building at 15th and Walnut across from LA Fitness and catty corner to the new glass Cheesecake Factory building. All its ground floor retail tenants have now vacated (either moving to other locations or announcing that they are closing).

Old Posted Feb 7, 2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
I think we'll see an imminent renovation of the building at 15th and Walnut across from LA Fitness and catty corner to the new glass Cheesecake Factory building. All its ground floor retail tenants have now vacated (either moving to other locations or announcing that they are closing).
Here's an article on this from March of last year.

http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp....html?page=all

Now, the tailor/cleaner, coffee place and mini mart on the ground floor have recently vacated.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:

Now, the tailor/cleaner, coffee place and mini mart on the ground floor have recently vacated.
That article from March also interestingly noted that PREIT may redevelop the property it bought at 1520 Chestnut when those tenants' "long-term" leases end. The tenants in that building are the Dollar Tree, Eternity Fashion, and Empire Beauty school. I'm thinking that this building will be redeveloped (and rents raised) as soon as those leases expire.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2015, 2:20 PM

Here is another interesting one that I don't recall getting too much press on these forums other than in passing in connection with the purchase of 1515 Market:

http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...-on-phila.html

Accesso Partners, the company that purchased 1515 Market, is betting big on Philly and looking to become a big player here. They see lots of potential and want to ramp up quickly and start buying other buildings in Philly. They say when they decide to bet on a market, they go all in. In 12 months of entering the Chicago market, they acquired 3 million square feet in six different properties. They did the same in Houston and are looing to replicate it in Philly.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2015, 4:07 PM
Future World Dictator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
15th and arch is fully operational. I think the hold up has been waiting for the city to convey the property to the developers. I dont know that it has happened yet. BUt the staff and their stuff is long gone.
Yeah, I was gonna say, everything is at the new family court building now and has been for like 2 months. So that's definitely not the hold up.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 1:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:

There has been scaffolding up on this building for a couple of weeks now, but I didnt see any signs of activity from the outside.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development