HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 10:18 PM

Mat Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarWind View Post
September 6, 2018

Since this location will subject the structure to high wind loads, had expected the mat to be larger, picking up the point loads along the river bank, since the bulk of the building's mass thus load vectors are not oriented over the center of the mat and non symmetric along major and minor axis. The bifurcating of the principle load vector between mat and point loads leaving open opportunities for differential settling of the foundation sections. During an earthquake, the moments of inertia and the amount of coupled inertia to the structure from P and S waves will be asymmetric in all directions, thus neither P nor S wave impact upon the structure would result in unitary (singular) coupled forces with many harmonics modes being generated. I would not want to be in this structure if the earth started to shake. The last earthquake I experienced was two weeks ago and 4 in the past 2 years that were 3.5 or greater and have experienced 5.1.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 10:30 PM
The City

Earthquake? We don't get earthquakes over here

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Earthquake? We don't get earthquakes over here
Hello the urban politician

Yes, the region is fairly quiet geologically, that is until down state or other regions in the vicinity shake. I was being general in my discussion.

Being less general is that the geology of North America suggest the Mississippi River Valley (trench) is the product of the lower crust layer of the continent, sliding out from beneath and away from the Rocky Mountains. Thus a New Madras level event could in theory occur anywhere along the Mississippi River Valley from New Orleans to Minneapolis St. Paul with the Wisconsin Minnesota boarder regions having greater probability for like New Madras, the region's topology is the product of a large meteor impact, though smaller in size. The impact crater and pre river valley formation, spanning roughly north to south from Eau Claire to Lacrosse and west to east from Wabsha to Black River Falls (~55m or 88km in diameter) with a secondary impact signature of equal size to the north west and lesser scale to the southeast. Wisconsin and Michigan are composed of impact forms. The impact crater in the New Madras area and located in Missouri spanning north to south from Union to Doniphan and west to east from Fort Leonard Wood to Millersville (~180m or 290km in diameter).

Last edited by seadragon; Sep 15, 2018 at 12:38 AM.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2018, 1:45 AM

Already have 2 pumps placed on upper wacker with their booms partially up

Old Posted Sep 15, 2018, 6:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadragon View Post
The bifurcating of the principle load vector between mat and point loads leaving open opportunities for differential settling of the foundation sections.
The caissons you're pointing out are rock socketed. By the time those start settling the initial volcanic gases will have already wiped out Chicago's inhabitants.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2018, 4:27 PM

Old Posted Sep 15, 2018, 4:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 Tommy View Post
Good progress from the web cam. Two booms being each being fed by 2 cement trucks. 3 others waiting in line to go next. I cant see the rebar from the web cam, could it all be covered already?

Old Posted Sep 15, 2018, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerWaschbär View Post
The caissons you're pointing out are rock socketed. By the time those start settling the initial volcanic gases will have already wiped out Chicago's inhabitants.

Hello DerWaschbär

If the use of rock socketed caissons and nothing new in high rise construction was sufficient for such structure, would not need a load distributing and structure retaining, support mat for perhaps half the surface area immediately below load bearing features (i.e. core and risers) with the mat placed furthest from the river bank, else one would need to use just more caissons or less, pilings.

As a side note and not saying such will occur in this situation, when water enters cracks in the rocks between caisson and mat, the cracks expand during the winter deep freeze, which along with vibration from truck traffic on lower Wacker Drive to building induced inertia from wind buffet, could over several decades or more (e.g. ~50 years), result in the caissons to migrate slightly outwards, away from the mat. It's not "initial volcanic gases" or any form of "out gassing" from the rock and insignificant today that results in the exfoliating of rock. The base rock in Chicago and to which I can attest being that the concrete for this morning’s pour comes less than 10 miles from where we use to hang out along the Kishwaukee River when young, is composed of sedimentary rock such as dolomite and limestone, not volcanic like that found in western regions of our nation to that I use to live on top of on Maui and the Big Island of Hawai`i, with the volcanic vent Puu`o being visible from my second floor deck. Your very dismissing retort and brash is the product of being indifferent to not having accountability.

Last edited by seadragon; Sep 15, 2018 at 6:03 PM.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2018, 6:17 PM

Big crane on a barge just like 150

Old Posted Sep 15, 2018, 6:47 PM

Sept 04

Weaving with steel

Sept 11

Sept 15

Old Posted Sep 15, 2018, 7:50 PM

Thank you for your dedication Harry! That looks like something out of War of the Worlds. It'll be so fun to watch this one rise!

Old Posted Sep 15, 2018, 8:48 PM

The second to last pic...

Old Posted Sep 16, 2018, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadragon View Post
Hello DerWaschbär

If the use of rock socketed caissons and nothing new in high rise construction was sufficient for such structure...
The mat resolves horizontal forces. It doesn't bear on the earth below.

Quote:
the cracks expand during the winter deep freeze
The frost line in Chicago is 42"...

Quote:
wind buffet
Yes this is.

Quote:
result in the caissons to migrate slightly outwards
Bro, did you see all that vertical rebar?

Quote:
It's not "initial volcanic gases" or any form of "out gassing" from the rock...
Whoosh

Last edited by DerWaschbär; Sep 16, 2018 at 2:31 AM.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2018, 2:42 AM

9/15

Old Posted Sep 16, 2018, 2:46 AM

Duplicate post.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2018, 4:32 AM
1st Ward

Awesome pics, everyone! Great to see the concrete start flowing!

Old Posted Sep 16, 2018, 7:46 PM

Old Posted Sep 17, 2018, 12:55 AM

Sep 16

Old Posted Sep 17, 2018, 12:44 PM

@nd Largest Pour in Chicago, ever.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2018, 12:55 PM

Sunday 9AM. More to come

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive