HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 2:35 PM

This sounds like an event that many on this forum might want to attend:

via DNAInfo:
Transit-Oriented Development: Best Or Worst Idea Ever? Learn More At Forum

"Dick Simpson, political science professor and former 44th Ward alderman, will moderate a discussion of transit-oriented development's potential benefits and drawbacks, scheduled for 7-9 p.m. Aug. 22 at DANK Haus, 4740 N. Western Ave.

The program will include presentations from a panel of experts and an opportunity for audience Q&A."

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 3:02 PM

guano

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 4:24 PM
You had me at herro...

Every time I walk by that roof is COVERED in birds, lol

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayorOfChicago View Post
Every time I walk by that roof is COVERED in birds, lol
I'm sure they will ultimately cover the roof of the Apple store with those pigeon spike tiles that you see lining the girders of el platforms. They can say it's gray, pointy grass.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 6:21 PM

not sure what they expected to happen

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 7:39 PM

Could add a bunch of feral cats to solve the bird problem.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
Wow, that's already quite the mess up there.
what they should have done was make that a green roof like many of the roofs of buildings around this city have...that would of been creative and goes along with the Apple mantra of ecofriendly and also wouldn't attract the birds like they do now..

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicubs111 View Post
what they should have done was make that a green roof like many of the roofs of buildings around this city have...that would of been creative and goes along with the Apple mantra of ecofriendly and also wouldn't attract the birds like they do now..
Apple is one of the least eco-friendly tech companies though.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2017, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
Apple is one of the least eco-friendly tech companies though.
They are generally regarded as one of, if not the most, environmentally friendly tech companies. Greenpeace has ranked them #1 for several years now. Soooo, not really sure if your comment is sarcasm, I guess.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2017, 3:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5680 View Post
They are generally regarded as one of, if not the most, environmentally friendly tech companies. Greenpeace has ranked them #1 for several years now. Soooo, not really sure if your comment is sarcasm, I guess.
Not really sarcasm. They've come along way in the environmental front in the past 5 years but are still far from what I would consider a green company. Especially given their new state of the art headquarters with it's 11,000 parking spaces. How innovative.

Also; this: https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...hones-macbooks It doesn't even mention how Apple purposely glue in the batteries so they can't be replaced, forcing people to buy a new phone every 1.5-2 years. They are not much different than any other company in that they pay lip service to the environment to appease their loyalists but don't really give a shit and only care about hoarding more cash. Which is fine, that is their end responsibility to their shareholders.. but don't be duped by fancy marketing.

This is all OT and I'm not an environmentalist in the least so I don't care personally.

Last edited by Kngkyle; Aug 12, 2017 at 3:28 AM.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2017, 3:41 AM

Ok
Quote:
Not really sarcasm. They've come along way in the environmental front in the past 5 years but are still far from what I would consider a green company. Especially given their new state of the art headquarters with it's 11,000 parking spaces. How innovative.

Also; this: https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...hones-macbooks It doesn't even mention how Apple purposely glue in the batteries so they can't be replaced, forcing people to buy a new phone every 1.5-2 years. They are not much different than any other company in that they pay lip service to the environment to appease their loyalists but don't really give a shit and only care about hoarding more cash. Which is fine, that is their end responsibility to their shareholders.. but don't be duped by fancy marketing.

This is all OT and I'm not an environmentalist in the least so I don't care personally.
Thanks for pointing this out. I'm always surprised at how filthy San Francisco Bay area is generally.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2017, 3:53 AM

Quote:

I work in tech, and am not speaking about marketing language. Yes, companies paint themselves in the best light possible. But, I think you assessment is somewhat misinformed. At least in the context of your relative statement.

I guess my point is that for a retail building, Apple is more likely than most to take a environmentally friendly approach to address a problem—where feasible. Not saying they are beyond reproach.

Last edited by jc5680; Aug 12, 2017 at 4:14 AM.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2017, 11:44 PM

Saw a big piece of excavating equipment in the rear yard of the building next to the Belmont L where that sweet little slice of TOD has been planned.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2017, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Ok

Thanks for pointing this out. I'm always surprised at how filthy San Francisco Bay area is generally.
But CA does have a 5 cent beverage recycling deposit fee which is useful anywhere to keep streets cleaner.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 11:01 AM

Sometimes you find a big feature article in an unexpected place...

Includes a 4-minute video with a bunch of nice city shots.

Chicago maps its underground maze
The Windy City’s smart city efforts include scanning its vast network of pipes. Mayor Rahm Emanuel sees an opportunity to focus on the future.
August 11, 2017

In Chicago, incorporated in 1837, the underground network of pipes is so complex, and the records are so outdated and incomplete, the city has created an Office of Underground Coordination. Its job is to pore over dozens of old maps to try to identify what's underneath a construction site before a crew digs.
Now the solution may rest with the phone in his pocket, and a computer program the city helped develop that creates a digital blueprint of Chicago's underground pipeline network of sewer, water, electricity, gas, broadband and other services from about 30 companies and utilities.
In Chicago, many of these efforts are being created through $320 million public-private partnership called UI Labs ("University + Industry"). Based on Goose Island on the north end of the Chicago River, UI Labs aims to "address problems too big for any one organization to solve on its own," according to its website. That includes the 3D map of Chicago's underground infrastructure, launched last October.

Chicago has other projects underway as well. One standout: finding ways to combat rats. ... The city also has a website where people can see the real-time locations of snowplows after a blizzard ... And starting next month, Chicago will begin replacing its 270,000 street lamps with LEDs, saving electricity costs and, eventually, connecting to a system that will dim the bulbs as the sun comes out.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 6:24 PM

In other Lakeview news, signage went up this week for the new project at Diversey and Hampden (old Marketplace grocery lot). www.thehampdens.com.

Two condo projects with private elevator service.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 6:46 PM

DePaul Arena (Indiana and Cermak)

Aug 12

Crossing the Prarie

Jumbo Tron

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 8:17 PM

i have not really kept up to speed on the stadium, but that is....not inspiring

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 8:18 PM
Show me the blueprints

cheap cheap cheap cheap cheap says the birdie

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 10:27 PM
Ω

I mean, it's not completely horrible.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development