HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive


 

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1601  
Old Posted Sep 2, 2019, 9:41 PM
SamInTheLoop SamInTheLoop is offline
you know where I'll be
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by gebs View Post
Absolutely. It's all about context. One Museum Park looks enormous when you're next to it (smaller now that NEMA is next door), but put it in the Loop and it would disappear. WPE (and later WPS) are going to absolutely jut skyward more than most buildings because of their comparatively shorter surroundings.

That’s only part of it.

This building’s massing/profile do it a lot of favors when it comes to its punching above its weight in terms of apparent height. It really soars for a ~680’ tower.

There’s actually a real contrast in this regard between OMP and WPE. True, they both when built ‘owned’ their respective bits of the skyline (OMP more so). However, OMP is not a flattering design with respect to its upward lift. (Or arguably with respect to anything else). It has an unfortunately clumsy massing, appearing downright chunky from some angles and was very obviously designed by much less skilled hands than WPE.
__________________
It's simple, really - try not to design or build trash.

Last edited by SamInTheLoop; Sep 2, 2019 at 9:57 PM.
     
     
  #1602  
Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 3:28 AM
BonoboZill4's Avatar
BonoboZill4 BonoboZill4 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: PingPong
Posts: 1,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
That’s only part of it.

This building’s massing/profile do it a lot of favors when it comes to its punching above its weight in terms of apparent height. It really soars for a ~680’ tower.

There’s actually a real contrast in this regard between OMP and WPE. True, they both when built ‘owned’ their respective bits of the skyline (OMP more so). However, OMP is not a flattering design with respect to its upward lift. (Or arguably with respect to anything else). It has an unfortunately clumsy massing, appearing downright chunky from some angles and was very obviously designed by much less skilled hands than WPE.
I believe the same firm designed both buildings ironically enough
__________________
I'm here for a long time, not a good time
     
     
  #1603  
Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 12:44 PM
Bombardier Bombardier is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 445
^Pappageorge Haymes designed One Museum Park East, Pelli Clarke Pelli designed Wolf Point East.

Pappageorge Haymes also designed the similar but shorter 465 N Park.
     
     
  #1604  
Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 2:04 PM
gebs's Avatar
gebs gebs is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: South Loop
Posts: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombardier View Post
^Pappageorge Haymes designed One Museum Park East, Pelli Clarke Pelli designed Wolf Point East.

Pappageorge Haymes also designed the similar but shorter 465 N Park.
All true things ... but Pappageorge Haymes is the AOR for WPE, with PCP being the design architect.
     
     
  #1605  
Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 3:14 PM
RedCorsair87 RedCorsair87 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 516
^For the idiots here (me), can you please explain in a little more detail what that means?
     
     
  #1606  
Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 3:38 PM
LouisVanDerWright LouisVanDerWright is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 7,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCorsair87 View Post
^For the idiots here (me), can you please explain in a little more detail what that means?
For many large projects the actual Architect of Record (AOR) is different from the designer. The AOR is who actually stamps the drawings and does all the hundreds of pages of minutae including sectionals, details, floor plans for every common area or apartment, etc.

There are many reasons why those details are handed off to another firm. Oftentimes it's not where the design architect adds value, Helmut Jahn or Caesar Pelli are not best utilized measuring exactly where the toilets go in each unit. Their value is in the concept and creating a stunning exterior. The Design architect may not even have a license to operate in the location where the building is being built. Pelli probably doesn't even have a Chicago office, let alone expertise in dealing with the labarythian government regulations here. So someone with a big office with a ton of employees that cranks out plans 24/7 for all kinds of buildings here will be hired to flesh out the details and deal with the Department of Buildings.

This is a very common arrangement. For example, I recently stumbled across (and purchased) mechanical blueprints for Jahn's O'Hare Terminal at an antiques mall in Michigan. Jahn is not listed as the architect on those plans, Epstien is because they are the ones who took Jahn's art and converted it to practical layouts that meet every last requirement of a functional airport. After all, what does Jahn even know about designing gates or baggage turnstyles? So Jahn designed the sexy tunnels and arched passenger halls we know and love, but Epstien worked with consultants and engineers to figure out how to process baggage and locate bathrooms and provide spaces for vendors and aircraft services.
     
     
  #1607  
Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 3:54 PM
gebs's Avatar
gebs gebs is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: South Loop
Posts: 734
^^^ Boom.

Two other recent noteworthy AORs:

Vista Tower; design by Studio Gang, AOR: bKL Architecture.
One Bennett Park; design by Robert Stern, AOR: GREC Architects
     
     
  #1608  
Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 2:55 AM
BonoboZill4's Avatar
BonoboZill4 BonoboZill4 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: PingPong
Posts: 1,588
__________________
I'm here for a long time, not a good time
     
     
  #1609  
Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 3:40 AM
Sohcatoah Sohcatoah is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by gebs View Post
^^^ Boom.

Two other recent noteworthy AORs:

Vista Tower; design by Studio Gang, AOR: bKL Architecture.
One Bennett Park; design by Robert Stern, AOR: GREC Architects
I know we do not want to get too off topic, so apologies for this question, but who would be the blame for the VEing of OBP? Many people were disappointed with the final outcome, but do you blame Stern or do you blame GREC?
     
     
  #1610  
Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 6:49 AM
-Nick- -Nick- is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 40
Couple updates on 9/03/2019.













     
     
  #1611  
Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 2:00 PM
gebs's Avatar
gebs gebs is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: South Loop
Posts: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohcatoah View Post
I know we do not want to get too off topic, so apologies for this question, but who would be the blame for the VEing of OBP? Many people were disappointed with the final outcome, but do you blame Stern or do you blame GREC?
You blame the client (Related), or you blame the Chicago luxury housing market, whose economics wouldn't support the kind of price tags a non VE'd Bennett Park would demand.

(Mods, feel free to move this over to One Bennett Park's thread.)
     
     
  #1612  
Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 2:16 PM
Skyguy_7 Skyguy_7 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,657
^^ Thanks for the shots, -Nick-. Her crown is going to be beautiful once the glass is up. One of the best this cycle.
     
     
  #1613  
Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 2:29 PM
Danie's Avatar
Danie Danie is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 79
Beautiful skyscraper.
     
     
  #1614  
Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 3:19 PM
k1052 k1052 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by gebs View Post
You blame the client (Related), or you blame the Chicago luxury housing market, whose economics wouldn't support the kind of price tags a non VE'd Bennett Park would demand.

(Mods, feel free to move this over to One Bennett Park's thread.)
As with all Related Midwest developments I blame them for repeatedly showing renderings of richly detailed buildings they don't remotely intend to build. Stern deserves some shade here due to the arrogant and condescending way he deigned to bestow his great talent upon us shit kicking, mouth breathing country hicks in Chicago.
     
     
  #1615  
Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 7:36 PM
SamInTheLoop SamInTheLoop is offline
you know where I'll be
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,387
^ Yep. This is precisely how my attribution would go as well. You blame the developer client, first and foremost. And, then, a very special shout-out to the invariably awful - and insufferable - Robert AM Stern.
__________________
It's simple, really - try not to design or build trash.
     
     
  #1616  
Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 8:12 PM
harryc's Avatar
harryc harryc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Oak Park, Il
Posts: 14,989
Aug 27

from #TallShipWindy





Aug 30



Sept 4

__________________
Harry C - Urbanize Chicago- My Flickr stream HRC_OakPark
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. B Franklin.
     
     
  #1617  
Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 11:53 PM
teohwp85 teohwp85 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 56
September 5, 2019

Montrose Point

     
     
  #1618  
Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 3:30 AM
BonoboZill4's Avatar
BonoboZill4 BonoboZill4 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: PingPong
Posts: 1,588
__________________
I'm here for a long time, not a good time
     
     
  #1619  
Old Posted Sep 8, 2019, 6:01 PM
teohwp85 teohwp85 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 56
September 7, 2019 from the Signature Room

     
     
  #1620  
Old Posted Sep 8, 2019, 6:03 PM
teohwp85 teohwp85 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 56
September 7, 2019 from Lake Michigan

     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
 

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:22 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.