HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 10:31 PM

^I think you made your point. . .

. . .

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 10:35 PM
BANNED

And I think Harry's made his too

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrinChi View Post
Just hire a couple of gondolas to go back and forth
I imagine got mean boats, but what about an aerial gondola?

Chicago needs to have one of those crossing the river somewhere.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 7:00 PM

From this morning's fog.

Last edited by Nate1357; Jun 10, 2018 at 7:15 PM.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 8:10 PM

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 9:16 PM

Thanks for the pic jc. Looking at it from that view across the river, it would have been cool if they but a pedway in underneath the riverwalks for all three buildings. With connections to the parking garages.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 11:12 PM

Why does everything have to be a destination? A destination for who? Most people don’t want to live and work at a tourist destination and deal with the security and hassles that come with that.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 12:53 AM
Chicago

June 12, 2018

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 1:22 AM

Just me or does the core look massive?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 1:52 AM
Chicago

300 North LaSalle

April 5, 2007

300 North LaSalle has one of the larger cores that can I recall. Check out how small the workers look next to it.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 2:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnie View Post
Just me or does the core look massive?
This is a large building, core is in line with what we saw at 150 and 444 and most of the other 700' class office buildings. This is a 679' skyscraper, it's in the same general height class as all of the big modern class A office blocks around it.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago_Forever View Post
[IMG]Wolf Point's second tower to rise 66 stories
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...ise-66-stories

By Ryan Ori J G

Wolf Point's developers are planning to launch construction of a 66-story apartment tower in early 2017, the second of three planned towers on the riverside site near the Merchandise Mart, in early 2017.

Wolf Point East will be a 750-foot-tall tower with 707 luxury apartments, according to the AFL-CIO Building Investment Trust, an investor in the first two phases of the development. The tower will be 66 stories.

Crain's first reported in April that the tower's developers, a venture led by Hines Interests and Joseph P. Kennedy Enterprises planned to break ground on the second tower in the first quarter of 2017. At the time, specific details of the project were not disclosed...
^Is it odd to see such a large core, one in line with Class A office towers, on a residential building? Perhaps a bank of elevators will terminate at the 30th or so floor.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 1:32 PM
1st Ward

^ I got excited when I saw the height stat from that article claimed WPE would be 750 feet tall... then everything came back down to earth when I saw it was from 2016. Its too damn early to have an emotional rollercoaster!

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 11:02 PM

June 13

June 8

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 4:10 AM
Chicago

June 20, 2018

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 4:19 AM

What a profound difference a paint job can make!
:aplause:

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 4:41 AM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
Why does everything have to be a destination? A destination for who? Most people don’t want to live and work at a tourist destination and deal with the security and hassles that come with that.
The grandest cities in the world are just one "destination" after another... NYC, Paris, London, Rome have another "destination" everytime you turn your head.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 5:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiram View Post
As a side note, I would love to see a pedestrian & bicycle only bridge across the Chicago river that is a "modern" take on Chicago-style bascule bridges. I may be in the minority but it would look cool if it captures the context. And of course would be practical.
I think that would be interesting. Like the Millennium Bridge in London. I think the only difficulty is the demand for one. Because the Loop is so well connected by streets already within the grid it may be hard to propose a strong location for it. Maybe in between the gap from LSD to Columbus or a connector from Union Station to the Loop.

Come to think of it, the upcoming pedestrian bridge under construction from Grand across the river along LSD is already an example of this idea. Just not as independent of bridge as i believe you're thinking of.

I'd love to see something like this realized though.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiram View Post
As a side note, I would love to see a pedestrian & bicycle only bridge across the Chicago river that is a "modern" take on Chicago-style bascule bridges. I may be in the minority but it would look cool if it captures the context. And of course would be practical.
In this shot from April:
The Rectangle on the Left is the riverside for 444 W lake to discourage use by non tenants it is a long set of stairs down to the river level on the South - or a climb up to the upper deck - then a long(er) set of stairs on the N.

The RiverView (?) condos do have a nice bit of frontage - open to the public - nicely maintained. connects to the Riverside to the south, but again at the end you have a significant climb. --- to the North (red box on the right), well that is all private.

a contrasting example would be 150 N Riverside - where the open plaza at street level is inviting, strategically located, and well used.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 2:06 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMWChicago View Post
I think that would be interesting. Like the Millennium Bridge in London. I think the only difficulty is the demand for one. Because the Loop is so well connected by streets already within the grid it may be hard to propose a strong location for it. Maybe in between the gap from LSD to Columbus or a connector from Union Station to the Loop.

Come to think of it, the upcoming pedestrian bridge under construction from Grand across the river along LSD is already an example of this idea. Just not as independent of bridge as i believe you're thinking of.

I'd love to see something like this realized though.
Yes the city's Central Area Plan calls for new pedestrian bridges at McClurg and Quincy, but both would have to be operable so they would be quite expensive.

I agree with the need for a bridge to Wolf Point, though, it could land on the upper deck of River Point's plaza with (existing) stairs and elevator down to the end of Fulton St.

Just as Daniel Burnham intended:

src

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive