HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
I did not expect to see that vertical, green opaque glass in between the metal columns. Very nice touch. Thanks for posting, Harry
I just noticed that too....but really don't like it. But i will reserve judgement until i see the finished product.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 3:38 PM
tilted & shifted

Great shots, harry! Keep em coming.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 3:55 PM

I have a feeling that this building is going to stand out more than One Grant Park, given how much it will tower over the Hilton and its neighbors. Then again, OGP will be absolutely huge, so I might be wrong. We'll see.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 10:57 PM
1st Ward

Great pics, Harry!

This building is really turning out to be a stunner. I can't wait to see it in its finished form!

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
The choice in glass color is sick! Absolutely love it! Makes me wish Vista kept its original green color scheme.
I was hoping this one would have a grayish-blue, reflective glass (like Legacy). It would cohere more with the form to give it a soaring, ethereal vibe. The green will weigh it down more and make it feel more slab-like, even though I find the color pleasing in isolation.

Vista, I agree, would do well with a green glass like this. It would give proper visual weight to the form and emphasize the structure and geometry so much better than a color that contrasts little with the sky.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 3:22 PM
BANNED

I don't know i really like the green here. Those stripes looks slick - it's like 200 N Michigan in plain sight, but better imo. I'm pretty sure the Jahn tower is gonna be blueish and its right next door.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 3:33 PM
Development Shill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyrview View Post
I don't know i really like the green here. Those stripes looks slick - it's like 200 N Michigan in plain sight, but better imo. I'm pretty sure the Jahn tower is gonna be blueish and its right next door.
Exactly what I was thinking. With the Legacy and Jahn being very blue, the green of the Essex will be a nice contrast. Having them all be blue would have been nauseating

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 3:37 PM
BANNED

^ Yep and also Roosevelt is gonna really stand out, not just bc it's so tall but it's basically charcoal grey glass in the renderings.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyrview View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire View Post
Exactly what I was thinking. With the Legacy and Jahn being very blue, the green of the Essex will be a nice contrast. Having them all be blue would have been nauseating
True, but imagine the effect of three icy blue slabs that meld with the sky soaring behind the earthy, squat towers of the Michigan streetwall...

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Feb 18

Looks like that middle stripe of opaque glass has a wrong window on the upper right spot. I guess at least there is no opaque glass on the front. I like the color of the glass but still don't like the stripes of dark glass.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 4:19 PM
BANNED

^ go to yochicago's blog and look at pics of essex from a distance. the stripes really add to it's verticality.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 2:00 PM

03/13/18

Context shot

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 2:32 PM

I still don't like the opaque windows. Why even put them there. There are no columns behind them. Waste of a view in my opinion. Even if that is the divider between rooms the wall would never be that thick. I really liked this building until those windows...they really bug me.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 2:35 PM

IDK, my opinion might change when it is completed and the interior shades get installed, but it appears to me that the spandrel glass is quite a few shades too light...

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 2:47 PM

I do not remember any renderings of this building from the side. The ones i have seen only show it from a slight angle so i never really noticed these were part of the plan for this.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 2:59 PM

Behind the opaque glass there are wall partitions.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 3:30 PM
BANNED

I really like the opaque glass. Usually these buildings have such a saran wrap effect and this helps downplay that. It also enhances the verticality of the tower on its wider side.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 View Post
I still don't like the opaque windows. Why even put them there. There are no columns behind them. Waste of a view in my opinion. Even if that is the divider between rooms the wall would never be that thick. I really liked this building until those windows...they really bug me.
The heat pumps are behind the spandrel glass along with the demising walls either between units or between the living room and bedroom.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 11:22 PM

Of course I understand the functionality of what we architects usually call 'spandrel glass' whether it is in the spandrel itself, or concealing structure or HVAC, or simply reducing the amount of vision glass as a cost-saving measure (notice here that only the eastern rooms and corner rooms have floor-to-ceiling vision glass). What is unusual here is that one would typically 'paint' the back of the glass spandrels a darker color to more closely mimic the shade of the glass as it appears without any backing...

Unfortunately, I suspect that it is somewhat of a mistake since it does not necessarily appear as an intended pattern... time will tell.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 11:48 PM
1st Ward

Hrm. Not sure how I feel yet about the "spandrel glass". I feel that having the transparent blue glass wrapped all around the building would look better, but I'll defer judgement until the building is further along in its construction.

Either way, I am still pleased with the way its turning out. It certainly has been a surprise hit so far.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive