Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 6:21 PM
E pluribus unum

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
Why Apache Junction?
I'm being facetious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
Arizona should build a new capital in the high country and abandon that little library building in Phoenix.
Are you talking about the historic capitol building, which is now a museum, or the nine story tower behind it, that houses the actual governor's office?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
here's a post of mine last spring, when we last discussed the issue of state capital locations:
Damn, somebody beat me to it.

Chillicothe is an awesome word. Would have made the whole state of Ohio sound more interesting to outsiders with such an exotically titled capital city.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 6:47 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
Chillicothe is an awesome word. Would have made the whole state of Ohio sound more interesting to outsiders with such an exotically titled capital city.
ditto for Illinois and its original capital city of Kaskaskia.

but it was WAY too prone to mississippi river flooding to make a long-term play as state capital, which is why the capital was soon moved inland to Vandalia, IL.

still though, purely from a naming perspective, "Kaskaskia" is a billion times cooler than the woefully generic "Springfield".

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 6:54 PM

Quote:
maybe.

but as a counter-example, look at MO with STL & KC at opposites side of the state.

they put the capital in the middle of the state between the two big cities at jefferson city, and it didn't amount to much.
Yeah, it's certainly not a given. But considering Pennsylvania's, and its two big cities', already established statuses by the early 1800s and the state's major importance to national development, it stands to reason that state as a whole could have benefitted even that much more so from a central capital. And that central capital would have in turn reaped the benefits.

Instead, everything pretty much went to Philadelphia, which invested in itself and largely in NYC, rather than in its own state. Harrisburg never even amounted to too much, even though it was the capital city of what was one of the country's largest and most economically-productive states from the nation's beginnings. A center of state government power removed from Philadelphia would have definitely made a significant difference.

And this isn't a one-size-fits-all situation. I'm not proposing that a centrally-located capital would automatically result in utopia or anything. I get the STL-KC parallel, but again, it's a very different situation. There really wasn't too much in Missouri, aside from St. Louis & Kansas City, correct? And in a relative sense, it seems like that pretty much holds true today.

Pennsylvania, on the other hand, had many early centers which were very important to the young nation. Obviously anchored by Philly and Pittsburgh, but the state was and is filled with tons of centers of population that were vital to early industrialization (Susquehanna Valley, Lancaster-York, Lehigh Valley, Lackawanna Valley, Williamsport, Altoona-Johnstown, Erie, Oil Creek Valley, Shenango Valley...). Coal (anthracite and bituminous), iron, oil, gas, steel... that's where it all started. PA had DIRECT access to the Atlantic (via Delaware Bay AND the Chesapeake), to the entire Ohio-Mississippi River system, AND to the Great Lakes.

No other state had (or has) this. And PA had this at a time when those were (likely still are) THE most important transportation and trade routes. But Philadelphia was simply a terrible manager of its kingdom. Pittsburgh was largely on its own and Erie might as well have been on Mars, as far as Philadelphia was concerned. NYC didn't feel that way about their Mars outpost, Buffalo... and NYC didn't even have a Pittsburgh in its kingdom. Basically, as was pointed out in another recent thread (where you pointed out the NYC-Chicago axis), Philly squandered its opportunity big time. Its the same insular, Quaker conservatism that didn't permit a building taller than the statue of William Penn on Philadelphia City Hall until the late 1980s.

But a center of government, strongly-influenced by areas throughout the state, rather than within Philly's sphere of dominance, would have likely had a major effect on Pennsylvania development, i.e., Pittsburgh might have grown to be the same size as Philly (or larger) and Erie would be a Buffalo. Pennsylvania historians talk about how the state should have four 1 million+ pop. cities, given the attributes it was blessed with.

Ok, my rambling is complete... for right now.

Quote:
i wasn't trying to draw direct parallels to the development histories of IL & PA (they're quite obviously different for a whole host of reasons), I was merely pointing out that purposely placing the state capital near the geographic center doesn't always lead to a major city developing there.

even in very similar, largely unpopulated interior states of the early 19th century, sometimes that plan panned out (Indianpolis, IN), and sometimes it didn't (Springfield, IL).

as to how big illinos and chicago were when the capital was moved to springfield in 1839, the state had 476,183 people (1840 census) and chicago had 4,470 people ( 1840 census).

chicago was founded in the 1780s, but it remained a very tiny frontier village surrounding a US army fort (fort dearborn) for many decades, with real growth not coming until the 1830s.

it was first incorporated as a town in 1833, and then reincorporated as a city shortly thereafter in 1837, just before the capital was moved from vandalia to springfield in 1839.
Damn... that's pretty amazing how Chicago boomed from less than 5k in 1840. Totally blitzed the hell out of everything in its regional orbit. Kind of how NYC did it a little bit earlier with the canal, Chicago did it once the RRs came, I guess. Fascinating to me.

The type of sheer dominance by greater Chicagoland / northern IL over the rest of Illinois seems to be on a level unlike what exists in any other state. This goes right in line with my previous thoughts on establishment of city-states and affiliated territories, rather than the state construct under which we operate.

Last edited by pj3000; Sep 24, 2021 at 7:16 PM.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 7:04 PM

For Michigan Detroit as the capital but with downriver added as a borough so Grosse Ille can be rebuilt as a with well planned avenues and square for public buildings while chalk full of mid and high rises like a mini Manhattan. Heavy industries could relocated from the riverfront and rebuilt in the urban prairie around the new 94 industrial complex. That’s how it’s done. Oh and throw in the Pointes as another borough to give the city some true big water coastline.

As for Toronto the Golden Horseshoe is on its way to becoming a Torontoland put a new cap in between the oh so important border crossings with Metro Detroit in between the outer reaches of the GTA and the greater Detroit-Windsor region. Toronto can be the NY of Canada without being the capital of Ontario but putting government in London closer to the neglected industrial centers such as Wallaceburg and Sarnia and near quickly growing Chatham-Kent could help calm the political scene and truly develop Canada’s most important trade corridor.

Not to mention it would likely jump start growth on the Windsor-Essesx peninsula. Detroit having a proper Canadian twin would be dope If Detroit is remade as MI’s Cap you could reclaim some land on Boblo Island expand it and bam you can have another high density island bridge that bitch and connect em.

I could see a lot of government types loving the warmer weather in southern most Canada where you can even grow a windmill palm in your back yard if you so desire since this is a thought exercise might as well go for a double pie in the sky pipe dream.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
Are you talking about the historic capitol building, which is now a museum, or the nine story tower behind it, that houses the actual governor's office?
I guess I could have been referring to either one...

I also think that low-lying coastal capitals (and flood-prone Sacramento) should think about moving to higher ground. But surprisingly, there aren't that many capitals on the coast (Boston, Providence, Anapolis? Olympia? if you consider those coastal cities).

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 7:35 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^

state capitals that directly abut salt walter:

boston
juneau
honolulu

state capitals that directly abut brackish water:

annapolis
olympia
providence

there are some other state capitals that are really damn close like Dover, but that don't technically reach the shore.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 7:53 PM

Quote:
^

state capitals that directly abut salt walter:

boston
juneau
honolulu

state capitals that directly abut brackish water:

annapolis
olympia
providence

there are some other state capitals that are really damn close like Dover, but that don't technically reach the shore.
It's also arguable that Albany abuts brackish water. It's interesting that all the way north to Albany, the Hudson riverbed is below sea level.

It's really not a river, but a tidal estuary all the way up there. The original name for the Hudson is something like Mohican, which means flows both ways or something like that.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 7:57 PM

And here's the approximate elevation of the capital grounds in each city:

Annapolis - 30'
Boston - 93'
Providence - 56'
Olympia - 110'
Juneau - 85'
Honolulu - 24'
Sacramento - 17' (with levees that are about 30' high)

Looks like most of them will be safely above water. Sacramento and Annapolis are the most vulnerable.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Pennsylvania: State College

Florida: Orlando
I've thought about this alot lately.

I'd actually move Penn State to Harrisburg. Thinking of all the state capitals that also have a major university in it and are thriving: Madison, Austin, Raleigh.

Having Penn State's main campus closer to an actual city would provide an incredible amount of synergy. At the minimum there should be an expressway between State College and the Harrisburg/Lancaster/York area if not rail service.

State College is so so so so isolated as it stands.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 8:50 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
ditto for Illinois and its original capital city of Kaskaskia.

but it was WAY too prone to mississippi river flooding to make a long-term play as state capital, which is why the capital was soon moved inland to Vandalia, IL.

still though, purely from a naming perspective, "Kaskaskia" is a billion times cooler than the woefully generic "Springfield".
Kaskaskia isn't even on the right side of the Mississippi anymore

Old Posted Sep 25, 2021, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
I've thought about this alot lately.

I'd actually move Penn State to Harrisburg. Thinking of all the state capitals that also have a major university in it and are thriving: Madison, Austin, Raleigh.

Having Penn State's main campus closer to an actual city would provide an incredible amount of synergy. At the minimum there should be an expressway between State College and the Harrisburg/Lancaster/York area if not rail service.

State College is so so so so isolated as it stands.
That's why you could also argue Gainesville as a potential Florida capital rather than Orlando, though Gainesville is a bit north. Its still a doable drive from Tampa, Orlando and Jacksonville.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2021, 3:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
It was originally Marietta, which made a lot of sense at the time. Then Chilicothe made sense for its time.

Now, Columbus and Indianapolis might be the two state capitols that are pretty much at the exact center of their respective state's population. Atlanta might be in that club as well.
There are at least a few states where there'd be absolutely no reason to relocate the state government. (I'd add Texas and Arizona to your list as well.)

Old Posted Sep 25, 2021, 4:04 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
I don't get why people would want to work in Albany or Trenton, to say nothing of capitals that are even more isolated like Springfield or Lansing.
Albany (the Capital District in general) is a big enough area in its own right with a lot to offer so plenty of people would want to work there. NYC is a bit intimidating/ expensive for a lot of folks. Plus Albany is a short trip down to NYC anyway.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2021, 6:58 AM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Yeah, it's certainly not a given. But considering Pennsylvania's, and its two big cities', already established statuses by the early 1800s and the state's major importance to national development, it stands to reason that state as a whole could have benefitted even that much more so from a central capital. And that central capital would have in turn reaped the benefits.

Instead, everything pretty much went to Philadelphia, which invested in itself and largely in NYC, rather than in its own state. Harrisburg never even amounted to too much, even though it was the capital city of what was one of the country's largest and most economically-productive states from the nation's beginnings. A center of state government power removed from Philadelphia would have definitely made a significant difference.

And this isn't a one-size-fits-all situation. I'm not proposing that a centrally-located capital would automatically result in utopia or anything. I get the STL-KC parallel, but again, it's a very different situation. There really wasn't too much in Missouri, aside from St. Louis & Kansas City, correct? And in a relative sense, it seems like that pretty much holds true today.

Pennsylvania, on the other hand, had many early centers which were very important to the young nation. Obviously anchored by Philly and Pittsburgh, but the state was and is filled with tons of centers of population that were vital to early industrialization (Susquehanna Valley, Lancaster-York, Lehigh Valley, Lackawanna Valley, Williamsport, Altoona-Johnstown, Erie, Oil Creek Valley, Shenango Valley...). Coal (anthracite and bituminous), iron, oil, gas, steel... that's where it all started. PA had DIRECT access to the Atlantic (via Delaware Bay AND the Chesapeake), to the entire Ohio-Mississippi River system, AND to the Great Lakes.

No other state had (or has) this. And PA had this at a time when those were (likely still are) THE most important transportation and trade routes. But Philadelphia was simply a terrible manager of its kingdom. Pittsburgh was largely on its own and Erie might as well have been on Mars, as far as Philadelphia was concerned. NYC didn't feel that way about their Mars outpost, Buffalo... and NYC didn't even have a Pittsburgh in its kingdom. Basically, as was pointed out in another recent thread (where you pointed out the NYC-Chicago axis), Philly squandered its opportunity big time. Its the same insular, Quaker conservatism that didn't permit a building taller than the statue of William Penn on Philadelphia City Hall until the late 1980s.

But a center of government, strongly-influenced by areas throughout the state, rather than within Philly's sphere of dominance, would have likely had a major effect on Pennsylvania development, i.e., Pittsburgh might have grown to be the same size as Philly (or larger) and Erie would be a Buffalo. Pennsylvania historians talk about how the state should have four 1 million+ pop. cities, given the attributes it was blessed with.

Ok, my rambling is complete... for right now.

Damn, it would have been very interesting if Pennsylvania actually developed in this way. And the fact that Philly is also closer to DC than NYC, that might have increased the status of the national capital as well as Baltimore.

Connecting to the interior Ohio and Mississippi waterways would have also given a better land link between the NE and Midwest. Without a doubt, this would have just added more to the North’s industrial might, especially if NYC-Chi axis via the Erie still happened.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2021, 8:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
There are at least a few states where there'd be absolutely no reason to relocate the state government. (I'd add Texas and Arizona to your list as well.)

Although Worcester would be a good capital of Massachusetts. Direct highway and rail access to Boston but more equal location towards the Connecticut Valley cities.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2021, 10:28 AM

Doubt this will start any conversation, but for BC I would propose Kamloops as the best capital over Vancouver (and the current capital of Victoria).

Old Posted Sep 25, 2021, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Doubt this will start any conversation, but for BC I would propose Kamloops as the best capital over Vancouver (and the current capital of Victoria).
Since I'm not Canadian/don't know much about BC, I'm curious as to why?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2021, 11:59 PM
West End & Riverside

After we sell Central and Western NY to PA and use the money to fix the subways, let's put the State Capital in Coney Island, because this place is already a goddamn freak show so why not make it official?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2021, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbermingham123 View Post
The capital of maine really shouldve been portland... The population of northern massachussetts was already spread pretty thin to begin with

Also Juneau for Alaska? i mean come on lol
Juneau is such a bad spot that a member of the Alaska State Senate can't even go to the Capitol anymore because she was banned by Alaska Airlines for COVID non-compliance and there are no roads into the city: https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...-airlines-ban/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions