HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Oct 18, 2023, 12:26 PM

Nothing shocks me anymore - but...wow - the best place to get Mexican food in Prescott - Mayas on Montezuma - was gutted by a fire last week. It is a small, family run restaurant - all employees - are family members: Frank Sr. and Rosa...then, son Frank Jr. and Anabelle...then some nieces, etc. help.

You can go to their Facebook page, and there was a small article in the Prescott Courier. A GoFundMe page has already been created. To date - over $13,000 has been raised.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2024, 6:27 PM

Just in the nick of time

The Gateway Mall here in Prescott - is all but DEAD. Other than some retail and restaurants on separate pads ringing the mall - like Ashleys...Best Buy - which is towards the entrance to the mall - it is on its last breath. I think most brick- and-mortar stores are in this dilemma. Thanks to online shopping. Bed, Bath, and Beyond just closed last year. A new owner finally arrived to save it. I had my doubts - but, did notice that the parking lot was being resurfaced/ asphalt. That was encouraging. Anyway, here is the new owner to breathe new life and money into the mall:

https://azbigmedia.com/lifestyle/rev...t-in-prescott/

https://www.pineridgemarketplace.com/

I don't want Prescott to become a mini-Phoenix. Tastefully done and controlled growth - is ok...but, it is no longer a sweet mountain town. Yavapai County has roughly 250,000 people. Prediction: 500,000 in next 20-30 years. Well...they're coming. However, they have built SOUND WALLS - along the 69 coming into Prescott Valley and near the Prescott airport. Uh, that is L.A. - Orange County!

Old Posted Jan 5, 2024, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azcats View Post
The Gateway Mall here in Prescott - is all but DEAD. Other than some retail and restaurants on separate pads ringing the mall - like Ashleys...Best Buy - which is towards the entrance to the mall - it is on its last breath. I think most brick- and-mortar stores are in this dilemma. Thanks to online shopping. Bed, Bath, and Beyond just closed last year. A new owner finally arrived to save it. I had my doubts - but, did notice that the parking lot was being resurfaced/ asphalt. That was encouraging. Anyway, here is the new owner to breathe new life and money into the mall:

https://azbigmedia.com/lifestyle/rev...t-in-prescott/

https://www.pineridgemarketplace.com/

I don't want Prescott to become a mini-Phoenix. Tastefully done and controlled growth - is ok...but, it is no longer a sweet mountain town. Yavapai County has roughly 250,000 people. Prediction: 500,000 in next 20-30 years. Well...they're coming. However, they have built SOUND WALLS - along the 69 coming into Prescott Valley and near the Prescott airport. Uh, that is L.A. - Orange County!
Apropos of nothing, but the marketing sheen on some of these articles cracks me up. I'm sorry but the "architectural grandeur" of Pine Ridge Marketplace?

Old Posted Jan 5, 2024, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Apropos of nothing, but the marketing sheen on some of these articles cracks me up. I'm sorry but the "architectural grandeur" of Pine Ridge Marketplace?
I know...but, figuring it is a big risk for them to invest a lot of money into this place...they are probably real nervous. Desperate - if it doesn't work. In four years - I have actually walked into the inside of this mall - maybe, once. If you are looking for peace and quiet - it's nice.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2024, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Agreed - but it's pretty nice in all actuality, so I can see them wanting to make it a focal point. It's fairly grand, with high ceilings with wood and has a mountain/cabin feel. I'm sure it was damn expensive and not VE'd back when it was built.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2024, 11:57 PM
Skyriser

I feel like Prescott's fate was sealed when they built Pioneer Parkway (a street name I really hate, it sounds like something a 4th grade teacher came up with) but the area really doesn't have the cachet for most younger people which should control growth for a while.

I just hope Courthouse Square survives as one of the best downtowns in the state while the icky sprawl in Prescott Valley creates a secondary node.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2024, 4:33 PM

Mayas Restaurant has re-opened....new location

Mayas is back in business. They have opened up in a new location - on Goodwin just up from the courthouse. Right by the Liquor Deli.

January 10th, 2024
by Melanie Bishop, Organizer
Maya Mexican opens at their new location today! 410 West Goodwin. Thank you to everyone who helped make this happen.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-maya...ild-after-fire

For those that like to go to a restaurant and drink (alcohol)...they are applying for a liquor license.

Won't be just for beer and wine...also, liquor (Margaritas). Better beef up their liability insurance - have mixed feelings about serving alcohol. The old location - ran in - grabbed some good food. You'd bring your own - if you wanted beer with your meal.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 9:09 PM

This is "northern Arizona" we dont have a river cities thread so...

Uge Development in Bullhead City/Laughlin:
Quote:
Tech entrepreneur Britton Lee’s firm S3 Group, LLC is planning a “5-star” luxury golf resort in Bullhead City on the Colorado River.

Plans for the Emerald Bay development include an 18-hole championship course, a nine-hole par-3 course, a resort hotel and spa, a beach club/marina/racquet club, a sports science boarding school for middle and high school athletes, and homes in a mix of luxury single-family residences and condo units in both attached and villa configurations.

The development will be anchored by The Legacy Club at Emerald Bay, the planned “world-class golf facility.” The course will be managed by KemperSports, which bills itself as “the industry leader in delivering memorable experiences at some of the most renowned venues in the country.”

S3 Group has proposed the resort under a planned area development. According to the documents submitted to Bullhead City, “As part of the PAD, the applicant will be proposing R1L (Residential: Single-Family Limited), R2MF (Residential: Multiple-Family), GC (Golf Course), and C2 (General Commercial) uses. The PAD document includes specific development standard tables for required building setbacks, heights and allowable uses that vary from the typical standards. The request includes structures of up to 5 stories and building heights of up to 85 feet. As review and potential approval of the conceptual plan do not grant zoning, an in-depth review of the proposed standards will be made with the submittal of the preliminary plat and zoning map change requests at a later date. The applicant will be requesting that the PAD approval be flexible to allow for changes of up to 25 percent to conceptual parcel sizes with administrative approval.”

According to the submitted plans, the uses break down as follows:

Single-family residential: Up to 310 homes;
Condo golf villas: Up to 105 units;
Multifamily condos: Up to 600;
Golf courses: 251 acres;
Golf clubhouse: 40KSF;
Golf maintenance building: 15KSF;
Hotel: 250KSF/200 rooms;
Tennis center: 10KSF;
Beach club: 15KSF;
Marina: 10KSF;
Boat storage: 20KSF;
Sports & Science Academy: 150KSF;
Gas station and convenience store: 7.5KSF.
The 493-acre site is located at the NWC of Highway 95 and Bullhead Parkway. S3 Group received approval of a conceptual plan for the development by a 7-0 City Council vote in its April 16 meeting.

The PAD documents say the development will be planned uniformly to ensure common themes carry and coordinate throughout. Construction of the various components will be timed according to market demand, absorption rates and other factors evaluated on an ongoing basis.

Final building designs will be created during the site plan process, with designs and elevations submitted to the City for design review, according to the submittals.

During the April 16 City Council meeting, several Bullhead City residents delivered impassioned comments about the project. Those speaking in opposition were primarily concerned about the changing character of the area, with one speaker noting Emerald Bay will be a massive development of multi-million-dollar homes situated in a community with a median household income of less than $60K/year.

Those speaking in favor, including some Council members speaking from the dais, commented on the infusion of capital and employment opportunities the resort will provide, as well as the potential promotion and branding value to the city and its tourism draw.

The S3 Group, LLC is the project owner and developer. Diversified Future is the entitlement manager. heibrid architecture is the design firm and land planner. Engineering is through Anderson-Nelson, and the traffic engineer is Lokahi.
https://azbex.com/planning-developme...bullhead-city/

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 10:28 PM

I was just thinking yesterday that AZ could use a large, nice resort up north. Now that I-17 is about to be much more passable , I think its high time for investment along I-17. I know Camp Verde is full of NIMBYs who hate tourist traffic, but there has to be some area where a nice, large key resort could be developed.

In Southern AZ we have the Dove Mountain Ritz in Marana- why nothing like that up north?

I think it would be awesome if the Feds could lease some land for development in the national forest. Imagine if Stoneman Lake had a big property on the north side? They could make sure water was always in it! Or the west side of Munds? Somewhere like Montezuma would serve people that interest in Sedona or Cottonwood. So many opportunities that have great weather all year and are convenient to Phx.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2024, 12:08 PM

hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiEncanto View Post
I was just thinking yesterday that AZ could use a large, nice resort up north. Now that I-17 is about to be much more passable , I think its high time for investment along I-17. I know Camp Verde is full of NIMBYs who hate tourist traffic, but there has to be some area where a nice, large key resort could be developed.

In Southern AZ we have the Dove Mountain Ritz in Marana- why nothing like that up north?

I think it would be awesome if the Feds could lease some land for development in the national forest. Imagine if Stoneman Lake had a big property on the north side? They could make sure water was always in it! Or the west side of Munds? Somewhere like Montezuma would serve people that interest in Sedona or Cottonwood. So many opportunities that have great weather all year and are convenient to Phx.
By the time they finish widening the road up to the lookout - it will be obsolete. It is taking a very long time - don't know when it will be finished. People heading south just rip through the construction zones - going 75 - tailgating.

GOLF. That is the key to resorts. Up here...you are looking at from about now through October. Snow days...too cold - November through April - combined with the weather being great for golf during those months down in the Valley - no one would come up. Half the golf membership (maybe more) of the Capital Canyon Club here in Prescott come up from the Valley - starting about now. You can tell by the cars in the parking lot: license frames ...colors of the car (tinted windows)...and types of cars. Stoneman is about as high as Flagstaff: Way too cold 6 months out of the year - and snow doesn't melt on north facing areas - especially, if sun doesn't hit it.

Sedona...somewhat exception. Lot of out of state plates. Whereas Scottsdale attracts visitors from all over the country - high season from January through April: golf...spring training...etc.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2024, 5:37 PM

Quote:
By the time they finish widening the road up to the lookout - it will be obsolete. It is taking a very long time - don't know when it will be finished. People heading south just rip through the construction zones - going 75 - tailgating.

GOLF. That is the key to resorts. Up here...you are looking at from about now through October. Snow days...too cold - November through April - combined with the weather being great for golf during those months down in the Valley - no one would come up. Half the golf membership (maybe more) of the Capital Canyon Club here in Prescott come up from the Valley - starting about now. You can tell by the cars in the parking lot: license frames ...colors of the car (tinted windows)...and types of cars. Stoneman is about as high as Flagstaff: Way too cold 6 months out of the year - and snow doesn't melt on north facing areas - especially, if sun doesn't hit it.

Sedona...somewhat exception. Lot of out of state plates. Whereas Scottsdale attracts visitors from all over the country - high season from January through April: golf...spring training...etc.
It's difficult to count up all the silliness in this post.

The I-17 won't be "obsolete" by the time it's finished. Heck, it already works just fine 95% of the time, save for the weekends where idiots cause wrecks. With additional lanes it will be safer for everyone and the special lane should provide relief when there are big accidents. Saying it's "obsolete" makes it seem like it's a waste of time. Do you really think that? Do you think it needs a 8 lane? C'mon.

I agree golf is a big attraction but that feels like 1990's analysis. People want getaway vacations and Arizonans want to get out of the heat. They also like staying in known quantities such as recognizable resorts. A JW Marriott or Grand Hyatt in a beautiful area with views, horses, water, hiking, etc would absolutely crush all year round because it would be an oasis in the spring through fall and be a fun snowy getaway in the winter. How else can you explain how well Flag hotels do? Shouldn't they be empty in the winter? They crush in the winter!

Plus if it's convenient along I-17, it's not only easy to get to, its easy for workers to commute which is a big deal in northern AZ.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2024, 9:42 PM

Quote:
It's difficult to count up all the silliness in this post.

The I-17 won't be "obsolete" by the time it's finished. Heck, it already works just fine 95% of the time, save for the weekends where idiots cause wrecks. With additional lanes it will be safer for everyone and the special lane should provide relief when there are big accidents. Saying it's "obsolete" makes it seem like it's a waste of time. Do you really think that? Do you think it needs a 8 lane? C'mon.

I agree golf is a big attraction but that feels like 1990's analysis. People want getaway vacations and Arizonans want to get out of the heat. They also like staying in known quantities such as recognizable resorts. A JW Marriott or Grand Hyatt in a beautiful area with views, horses, water, hiking, etc would absolutely crush all year round because it would be an oasis in the spring through fall and be a fun snowy getaway in the winter. How else can you explain how well Flag hotels do? Shouldn't they be empty in the winter? They crush in the winter!

Plus if it's convenient along I-17, it's not only easy to get to, its easy for workers to commute which is a big deal in northern AZ.

Thank you for letting me know how dumb I am. I just live up here...I will now push everything out of my mind - when I observe something in my daily living. No, I don't think there should be 8 lanes - since you can read my mind - you should know I think there should be 12 lanes. I think you are reading something there - that isn't there. Go ahead - advocate for a full-service resort up here. I'm not going to fight it. If one gets built - I'm sure to go visit it. Do you know a developer - or, developers - that have attempted to build one up here and has been shot down by locals? Flagstaff would be great - because of 1-40 and I-17 meet there. - it gets a lot of cross-country traffic. Bearizona and that new outdoor roller coaster - both in Williams - right off of I-40 are fun. I have not been there in the winter. Not sure if the roller coaster is opened in the winter.

Regarding traffic lane widening: My experience...my observation...when an extra lane was added in the L.A. area - it took years to add one lane. When it was finished - the traffic was just as heavy as it was seven years earlier. In that seven years it took to add one lane- more people showed up. Arizona is growing so fast - not sure how much the added lane will help when finished - probably, 10 years after completion - they will be pushing to add another lane.

Interestingly, that freeway - 202 built around South Mountain - my understanding was that it was built by the private sector - completed a year ahead of schedule and under budget.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2024, 10:31 PM

Quote:
There have been attempts to do this, even recently. The RV resort in Munds expanded to the NE, but i think even that got reduced. Munds has gradually been developing as housing costs have pushed full timers out of flagstaff and into the other mountain communities. There was recently a proposal to build 30 resort cabins on the west side of 17. I thought they began doing site work but not sure it went anywhere with all the flooding and snow over the past couple winters. Newman Park had a pretty substantial resort development proposed a few years ago called Windmill Ranch Resort - had something like 150 resort cabins and a bunch of amenities, but the county denied the rezoning.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2024, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Thank you for letting me know how dumb I am. I just live up here...I will now push everything out of my mind - when I observe something in my daily living. No, I don't think there should be 8 lanes - since you can read my mind - you should know I think there should be 12 lanes. I think you are reading something there - that isn't there. Go ahead - advocate for a full-service resort up here. I'm not going to fight it. If one gets built - I'm sure to go visit it. Do you know a developer - or, developers - that have attempted to build one up here and has been shot down by locals? Flagstaff would be great - because of 1-40 and I-17 meet there. - it gets a lot of cross-country traffic. Bearizona and that new outdoor roller coaster - both in Williams - right off of I-40 are fun. I have not been there in the winter. Not sure if the roller coaster is opened in the winter.

Regarding traffic lane widening: My experience...my observation...when an extra lane was added in the L.A. area - it took years to add one lane. When it was finished - the traffic was just as heavy as it was seven years earlier. In that seven years it took to add one lane- more people showed up. Arizona is growing so fast - not sure how much the added lane will help when finished - probably, 10 years after completion - they will be pushing to add another lane.

Interestingly, that freeway - 202 built around South Mountain - my understanding was that it was built by the private sector - completed a year ahead of schedule and under budget.
They are adding more than 1 lane each direction.

All freeways are built by the private sector in AZ. 202 was procured uniquely in a manner than encouraged them to complete on time.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest