HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 28, 2014, 5:37 PM

^^ Good news, His draft history with the Bruins will have him pretty pumped to boot.

Pav? Oh well...

vipmedia.globalnews.ca

Old Posted Nov 28, 2014, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Sounds like Hutch is in goal tonight. How's that for a confidence boost! If he even needs a confidence boost.

How about that for Pavelec, confidence has gone in the toilet.
I don't think his confidence is in the toilet, I think he had a streak that was well outside his normal range and now he's regressing. He's a below average goaltender and always has been. This shouldn't be surprising.

And Michael Hutchinson also isn't the best goalie in the league, but I like the way Maurice plays the odds. The only thing stopping Pavelec's regression is the bench, so keep him there. But goaltending is a lot like starting pitching - when you're new, nobody knows what you've got. A few times through the order, though, and your tendencies become evident. I won't be surprised to see a few bad ones hung on Hutch in the near future, but it sure is nice to see that we've got something in the pipeline...

Old Posted Nov 28, 2014, 5:55 PM

Regarding the lodge seating, I can't figure this out: How is it going to hang off the bottom of the 300 level without interfering with the ribon board? Also how would the acess points not get in the way of ribbon board if fans are getting to those seats via 300 level?

Old Posted Nov 28, 2014, 5:59 PM

Loge seating. It's called loge....

Like 'luge' with an 'o'...

Old Posted Nov 28, 2014, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadzookz View Post
Regarding the lodge seating, I can't figure this out: How is it going to hang off the bottom of the 300 level without interfering with the ribon board? Also how would the acess points not get in the way of ribbon board if fans are getting to those seats via 300 level?
I can't imagine that they could do this without moving the ribbon board to the front of the new overhang. Which is probably good timing given that our ribbon board is very narrow and due for replacement anyway.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2014, 6:57 PM

Okay maybe not hanging, but they will be at the bottom end of the upper deck. Likely lower than the current first row seating, so sightlines can be maintained. But high enough so it doesn't affect the suites too much. The ribbon would have to be moved to the front of the new loge seats. So it will be interesting to see if they add these seats all around, or only between the goal lines. The ribbon would then have a bit of a jog in it. Remember they're in the process of a 6 year, $40M reno of the entire arena. So they are spending some decent coin here.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2014, 7:28 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I can't imagine that they could do this without moving the ribbon board to the front of the new overhang. Which is probably good timing given that our ribbon board is very narrow and due for replacement anyway.
I understand the new seating will essentially cantilever off the flat lower face of the 300 level. There is a lot of room there, vertically, on that face.

I think they are looking to add 1 or 2 new rows. I don't think it will be stand-up, otherwise it would obscure the view of the current first row of the 300's.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2014, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
There is a lot of room there, vertically, on that face.
That vertical room was actually one of my first pet peeves with the building. I always thought it was odd that the vertical room at the front of the suites was so generous in a building that was otherwise filled with space constraints. Or maybe it just seemed that way because the ribbon board was so narrow compared to other ones in the league?

Source: http://www.panoramio.com/photo/40962844

Old Posted Nov 28, 2014, 7:57 PM

Can't go too low, or too far out. Otherwise you'll cut off the scoreboard view from the suites. But yeah, there does seem to be some room there.

Does anyone know if the scoreboard is repaired after the puck took out one of the panels?! Can't remember what game that was. It was on the last home stand though. There is a new scoreboard coming soon as well, part of the 6 year plan IIRC.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2014, 8:00 PM

^ The scoreboard seemed lame even on day 1 of the MTS Centre. It's even worse now in an age when the smallest family TV is 40" and capable of high-def. I will be glad to see it replaced.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2014, 9:13 PM

I as well. Remember when Winnipeg Arena had the screens up in the far corners of the arena. haha I thought that was pretty funny.

Some of the scoreboards these days are crazy. Like Rogers Place in Van. Or is it the dome in Van. Just huge. Or some of those NFL scoreboards. Wowza.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2014, 9:18 PM

Quote:
I as well. Remember when Winnipeg Arena had the screens up in the far corners of the arena. haha I thought that was pretty funny.
Those were salvaged from the Skydome once the Raptors moved out and into the ACC... I think they installed them just before the Pan Am Games in 98 or so. The resolution was terrible, and the placement on the far corners meant you were looking across the arena at them no matter where you sat. It was kind of like watching replays on your smartphone but from 10 feet away.

I recall some sports hack writing that they couldn't hang them from the rafters because they were too heavy. But hey, it was better than the lightbulb matrix screen on which you'd watch the old dancing hot dog!

Old Posted Nov 28, 2014, 9:23 PM

Looking back a bit..Now those were some nose bleed seats..scary..

http://hockey.ballparks.com/NHL/WinnipegJets/

Date Built October 18,1955
Date Closed November 7, 2004
Date Demolished March 26, 2006
Capacity 15,393
Ownership(Management) Winnipeg Enterprises Corporation
Cost of Construction C$2.5 Million hmmm..???

news.umanitoba.ca

Old Posted Nov 28, 2014, 9:34 PM

^ The old scoreboard in the b&w picture actually ended up in Copps Coliseum...it was used there for years.

Those pics remind me that the old arena had a "big" feeling that the MTS Centre can't match. The old arena was one of the biggest of its time when it was built, and even though the MTS Centre was new and shiny it was quite small stacked up to other new rinks.

It's the same as with the airport terminals... the old one would have looked right at home in any big city back in the 60s. It felt pretty big-time, and it could have easily been one of the terminals at JFK or LAX. By contrast, the new terminal could only be in a smaller city like Winnipeg.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2014, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
That vertical room was actually one of my first pet peeves with the building. I always thought it was odd that the vertical room at the front of the suites was so generous in a building that was otherwise filled with space constraints. Or maybe it just seemed that way because the ribbon board was so narrow compared to other ones in the league?

Source: http://www.panoramio.com/photo/40962844
look at how much room there is from the rafters to the 300 level. i don't get why they wouldn't at least attempt to add a 3rd section of seating up there. 5-7 rows deep. instead of changing the way the arena looks to have this weird row of seating that is gonna look out of place

Old Posted Nov 28, 2014, 9:47 PM

^ Good bit of history, It did have the feel you're talking about. Enjoyed one year with season tickets way back when for the Jets. Concerts sucked acoustically but it was still a blast. Don't get that cavernous feel at the MTS centre. It's more intimate, sound quality is 100X better but of course that's the change in engineering standards over the years.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2014, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Some of the scoreboards these days are crazy. Like Rogers Place in Van. Or is it the dome in Van. Just huge. Or some of those NFL scoreboards. Wowza.
Or Pepsi Center in Colorado. Larger than blue line to blue line.

Source: http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2013...details/14061/

Old Posted Nov 28, 2014, 9:57 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
I understand the new seating will essentially cantilever off the flat lower face of the 300 level. There is a lot of room there, vertically, on that face.

I think they are looking to add 1 or 2 new rows. I don't think it will be stand-up, otherwise it would obscure the view of the current first row of the 300's.
Adding seats there would mean people in the luxury boxes may not be able to see the score board.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2014, 9:58 PM

It just doesnt make sencee to me. i hope they get rid of the beige too. thats annoying

Old Posted Nov 28, 2014, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilkountry View Post
It just doesnt make sencee to me. i hope they get rid of the beige too. thats annoying
Oh man, tons of space. At worst the people standing in the actual suite itself will not be able to see the scoreboard... there is no way that people sitting in the suite's seats would have their view obstructed.

But yeah, I'm with you on the beige. It gives off some kind of institutional office vibe. Bring back the canary yellow of the old Arena

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan