HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 6:03 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 6:19 PM
the first stamp is free

^ considering people from Kenora hate Tobans, and the shear (sp.?) volume of Sask ex-pats in Alberta, I think our map remains pretty close to just the Manitoba border...

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 6:20 PM
What could go wrong?

I would probably divide Sask in half where the western portion will be either Oiler or Flames fans and extend the Winnipeg teams reach farther into Northern Ontario.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 6:37 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I would probably divide Sask in half where the western portion will be either Oiler or Flames fans and extend the Winnipeg teams reach farther into Northern Ontario.
Wasn't meant to be serious... are you guys missing who the maritimers are cheering for?

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 6:48 PM
Urban Advocate

Yup, I saw that .... for beer!
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 7:15 PM

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 7:44 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
... are you guys missing who the maritimers are cheering for?
I got that, i mean i thought it was quite obvious.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatesquirrels View Post
Cool sched. Home opener against the Habs and a New Years eve date with the Leafs. I also love we are on a NHL.com site now when you hit the drop down for team sites we show up as "Winnipeg Winnipeg" franchise went from first alphabetically in the east to last but could kick around in the middle if Manitoba is used.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYSTHELIMIT View Post
Cool sched. Home opener against the Habs and a New Years eve date with the Leafs. I also love we are on a NHL.com site now when you hit the drop down for team sites we show up as "Winnipeg Winnipeg" franchise went from first alphabetically in the east to last but could kick around in the middle if Manitoba is used.
Look at the crazy homestand during December! Theres only one away game during the whole month.

I wonder if the relatively light home-game scheduling in October reflects additional time needed to finish renovations (unrelated to seating)...

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 9:35 PM
Urban Advocate

Too bad the only Oilers game is in WPG. I assume that is because they are still playing in the SE division this next year? Will there be a division restructuring the following year? I assume a couple teams might need to be juggled around then, no?
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onishenko View Post
Too bad the only Oilers game is in WPG. I assume that is because they are still playing in the SE division this next year? Will there be a division restructuring the following year? I assume a couple teams might need to be juggled around then, no?
This was a decision based on timing for the one year in the East. Gary Bettman has made it clear they will be talking to several teams about conference realignment, so expect us in the West next year.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 1:20 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYSTHELIMIT View Post
This was a decision based on timing for the one year in the East. Gary Bettman has made it clear they will be talking to several teams about conference realignment, so expect us in the West next year.
Honestly, I would rather be in a division with Minny and Chi-town than the Oilers and Flames. But with Minny especially since they are by far the closest city geographically speaking to us, making it the easiest trip down to catch any future Winnipeg games, and a fun weekend in the twin cities.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 2:03 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshy View Post
Honestly, I would rather be in a division with Minny and Chi-town than the Oilers and Flames. But with Minny especially since they are by far the closest city geographically speaking to us, making it the easiest trip down to catch any future Winnipeg games, and a fun weekend in the twin cities.
Sacrilege. And someone who hasn't watched enough hockey lately (or been stuck in a division with the Wild). Minnesota games are BORING! I'd do anything to have them out of my division - and with Winnipeg coming onboard, it's looking like that will finally happen.

Imagine a division with all 4 western Canadian teams again - the games will be epic!

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 2:36 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Sacrilege. And someone who hasn't watched enough hockey lately (or been stuck in a division with the Wild). Minnesota games are BORING! I'd do anything to have them out of my division - and with Winnipeg coming onboard, it's looking like that will finally happen.

Imagine a division with all 4 western Canadian teams again - the games will be epic!
Meh, Calgary and Edmonton games are not much more exciting either as we all know. Plus, we need to spread out Canadian teams as much as possible to increase our chances for the cup every year.

Plus I want a fun weekend in the Twin Cities whenever I can get it!

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 3:02 PM
Urban Advocate

Quote:
Meh, Calgary and Edmonton games are not much more exciting either as we all know. Plus, we need to spread out Canadian teams as much as possible to increase our chances for the cup every year.

Ah...so self interest then?

But to comment on your first point, I disagree about trying to spread out Canadian teams to "increase our chances for the cup every year." Frankly, I could care less, and often cheer for the opposing team when it gets to a 'canadian team + other' in the final. But that is how hockey goes when we care enough about it, right? My hatred for hockey teams runs deepest with teams north of the border, starting first with the Leafs, then the Flames, then the Canucks, because those are the team that it is easy to create rivalries with with constant games against them, or surrounded by annoying (Canuck fans this past year) or willfully blind (Leaf fans) fans. Believe me when I say I'd rather see any US team win, before another of those Canadian teams. Ottawa and Montreal aren't even on my radar as an Oilers fan, so it doesn't matter as much. And for now, I'll embrace Winnipeg with open arms until the bitter rivalries begin to develop.

And that is what I'm saying... it makes it more fun to let the local rivalries develop when you are often in contact with fans of other Canadian teams.

And I should say I welcome the Oilers-in-last-place directed comments and pokes! I'll see that one all the way to our first-round pick tonight, and our young, rebuilt and cup-contending team in 3-5 years!

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 3:03 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Calgary isn't that much further away, and it isn't exactly boring.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 3:14 PM
Urban Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
Calgary isn't that much further away, and it isn't exactly boring.
700km to Minneapolis. 1300 km to Calgary or Edmonton

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 3:29 PM
the first stamp is free

Just an FYI, Winnipeg to Chicago is just under 1400km. So if you are willing to drive to Calgary for a game, Chicago is certainly within the realm of possibilities...

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 3:59 PM
BANNED

From Winnipeg to:

St. Paul 621 KM

Chicago 1155 KM

Edmonton 1193 KM

Calgary 1205 KM

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 4:18 PM
Armchair urbanist

Sorry, couldn't resist

How far is Winnipeg from Montreal? 1424 miles

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan