HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 17, 2011, 5:27 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
I heard this this morning, I don't know where it registers on the full-of-crap meter.

http://www.cjob.com/Sports/Local/Story.aspx?ID=1386427
well sure they could counter sue,,,,anyone can counter sue-means nothing....problem is the legalities of such would take a long time and time is running out. No one is willing to cover the losses for another year.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2011, 5:34 PM

TSN is reporting on Glendale's reluctant plan B:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=358400

MAYOR: GLENDALE COULD SEEK MINOR LEAGUE HOCKEY TEAM
3/17/2011 1:13:21 PM
by: TSN.CA Staff

The city of Glendale may be forced into a Plan B for Jobing.com Arena and its hockey team - and it won't involve the Phoenix Coyotes.

At a community meeting attended by members of Glendale City council on Tuesday night, Mayor Elaine Scruggs suggested that within a couple of weeks, the city may be faced with pursuing a minor league team as a replacement tenant if the Coyotes leave town.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2011, 5:39 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Winnipeg's Wellington West weighs in on the bond issue.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...118123229.html

Old Posted Mar 17, 2011, 5:39 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Yeah, this is the first time that Glendale has publicly hinted towards anything other than complete success.

I really wonder if the NHL pulled the plug a while ago, and everyone's scrambling about trying to save face. It sure looks like it with stories like this.

PS: nice avatar, wayward prince.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2011, 6:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Yeah, this is the first time that Glendale has publicly hinted towards anything other than complete success.

I really wonder if the NHL pulled the plug a while ago, and everyone's scrambling about trying to save face. It sure looks like it with stories like this.

PS: nice avatar, wayward prince.
thanks freeweed

and yes I think Bettman's appearance a week ago in Phoenix was just PR, he had to show his face once in that city during this fiasco to give the appearance everything was attempted to keep the team there, but it was over before he arrived. Or at least that is my opinion.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2011, 6:12 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if this whole $%^&storm of a situation would eventually end up in court with lawsuit, and countersuit, and appeals... wouldn't the mere threat of this inevitable outcome strongly support the idea that the NHL has already pulled the plug? Theres no way they can close the deal for next season if the bond gets held up indefinitely (unless ole Hulsizer ponies up his own money). No one, and I mean NO ONE wants to support a 40-50M/season loss again in Glendale -- how long would this stay in the courts for??? How many months? Seasons?

Also agree on the point that Bettman showed up only to "save face" and set things up for the "well, sorry people... we tried... we really really tried..."

Old Posted Mar 17, 2011, 6:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if this whole $%^&storm of a situation would eventually end up in court with lawsuit, and countersuit, and appeals... wouldn't the mere threat of this inevitable outcome strongly support the idea that the NHL has already pulled the plug? Theres no way they can close the deal for next season if the bond gets held up indefinitely (unless ole Hulsizer ponies up his own money). No one, and I mean NO ONE wants to support a 40-50M/season loss again in Glendale -- how long would this stay in the courts for??? How many months? Seasons?

Also agree on the point that Bettman showed up only to "save face" and set things up for the "well, sorry people... we tried... we really really tried..."
Mininari obviously does not read previous posts before posting lol....at least that is my opinion.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2011, 6:22 PM

Excuse me... I was agreeing with you?

Old Posted Mar 17, 2011, 6:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
Excuse me... I was agreeing with you?
oh lol...sorry...excuse me I am just dumbfounded with enthusiasm given the recent events pointing in our direction regarding a new NHL team. I misread the context of your posting properly.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2011, 6:50 PM

No worries!
Yep, this whole saga is causing quite the buzz, but I think I speak for everyone when I say its time for the finale.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2011, 8:44 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

I agree. I'm not at all interested in hockey but I am interested in what is good for Winnipeg. And this is good.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2011, 9:30 PM

Winnipeg is back on top!

Go Jets Go!

Old Posted Mar 18, 2011, 2:44 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Hockey returns to the Brooklyn of the North

Old Posted Mar 18, 2011, 3:33 AM
Celebrating 50 Years

On the names.

I always kind of hated the name Jets. It didn't really speak to anything about Winnipeg and seemed arbitrary (which it was). Yes after all this time and after all that happened, it is what it is, but most people only care because it gives a sense of closure to the whole ordeal.

As for the Falcons.. It's bad enough that Jets is also the name of an NFL team, but so is Falcons. C'mon. At least Manitoba Moose is original. How many more moose are out there? Who named the team, anyways? Someone in Minnesota, I'm sure, but it was a good name. And hey, Happy Gilmore tried out for the IHL's Minnesota Moose. Might as well keep the name alive.

Manitoba vs Winnipeg.. if there is good alliteration, then Winnipeg is fine, but people who don't live here can't spell Winnipeg. Winnepeg? How do they get that spelling? But they always do. Manitoba Moose works fine, and the logo would probably be a big seller outside of Manitoba once in the NHL. I wonder if they'd redesign it somewhat.

I've always hated the name Coyotes too. Lets hope Phoenix gets their Roadrunners back.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2011, 5:14 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Solomon View Post
people who don't live here can't spell Winnipeg. Winnepeg? How do they get that spelling?
Same people who type "rediculous". ie: illiterates.

I'm actually surprised at how much I like the current Moose logo. The old one was a bit goofy but today's is freaking awesome. I'd rather the colours change though.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2011, 2:32 PM
BANNED

Is this guy even Canadian?

Peter Adler throws cold water on the notion of the Jets moving to Winnipeg

http://communities.canada.com/edmont...-winnipeg.aspx

Old Posted Mar 18, 2011, 3:05 PM
the first stamp is free

Typical Edmonton bitterness. They are worried about Winnipeg slumming down their city's one big league claim to fame.

They can suck it. And they can suck it some more when they realize the financial viability of the new franchise in Winnipeg. In fact, they may come here for ideas about how to raise extra revenue for the Oilers when all is said and done

Old Posted Mar 18, 2011, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Typical Edmonton bitterness. They are worried about Winnipeg slumming down their city's one big league claim to fame.

They can suck it. And they can suck it some more when they realize the financial viability of the new franchise in Winnipeg. In fact, they may come here for ideas about how to raise extra revenue for the Oilers when all is said and done
It's funny that the most mean-spirited and outspoken critics of the plan to bring the NHL back to Winnipeg, at least as far as Canada is concerned, seem to hail from Edmonton. Rarely do you ever hear the same sentiments coming out of other Canadian markets like Ottawa, Calgary or Vancouver.

All of this insecurity is unbecoming of Edmonton. I'm not sure what they're so worried about.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2011, 3:31 PM

Not only are his facts completely wrong, he has no idea what he's talking about. He doesn't even realize this has been in motion for years now.

That "journalism" *cough - op-ed cough* is one big facepalm

He even disses the Oilers.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2011, 3:40 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
They can suck it. And they can suck it some more when they realize the financial viability of the new franchise in Winnipeg.
I'm certain he does realize it just fine. As was said, it's just coming from a malicious viewpoint. He knows we can succeed and doesn't like it one bit.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan