HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 17, 2020, 2:24 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
/\ My mother had the same problem with her 2007 Volkswagen. Any time we get a car that's not from an Asian manufacturer, it ends up being a piece of shit (Chevy Malibu, Volkswagen New Beetle, I guess Renault counts but that was a corporate car), and we're not a family that buys or leases new cars every few years...

I'm kind of surprised Ohio's isn't the Accord since they're manufactured near Columbus.
Civics and CRV's are made in Ohio as well as all Acura models outside the RLX and NSX.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2020, 2:38 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Very true with NYC and NJ, Accords.

It might be a close tie with Toyota Camrys. Slight edge to Accords if pure numbers are present. You tend to see a lot of them in the cities. Some folks like to put tints on them and modify the mufflers which sounds ok on the V6, but just sad with 4 cylinders (and shameful). Get a v8 for a muffler mod. NYC has taxi fleets of hybrid Toyotas, but it will never be as iconic as the Crown Victoria.

In Manhattan, you will see fleets of S550's. Literally fleets of them sometimes. Also a lot of Jeeps.

Nissan Altimas are common as well, which are the cheating girlfriend car.

But I can't blame folks for getting an Accord. The v6 is actually quite decent. Yeah its no V8, and is essentially a budget car for folks that can't afford better, but its get the job done.

Yeah would make sense for Florida to have the cheating girlfriend car, the Altima.

They need to bring back the Chevy SS. The Malibu is a POS.

Honorable mention to the any Honda minivan or Toyota minivan. Those things are hazards and tend to be driven by folks with homicidal depth perception. And they tend to have dents in them. Every notice that? Next time you see a minivan, good chance it will have some dents in it. Karen can barely see over the wheel.

Any minivan driven in Brooklyn by members of the Hasidic group is to be avoided. Usually there's like 15 of them in the van, and they turn with no warning. For your own health and safety, take the subway, and avoid the BQE after 2 pm.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2020, 3:16 AM
REAL Kiwi!

If we are talking all personal vehicles, trucks still rule:

Americans Are Still Car Shopping: The Top 20 Selling Vehicles Despite A Global Pandemic

Quote:
Light trucks, a category that includes pickups, SUVs and crossovers, also now account for 75% of the new vehicle market, reflecting Americans’ thirst for larger, higher-riding SUVs and crossovers over smaller passenger cars. Fifteen of the top-selling vehicles fall into this group, including the Ford F-Series line of pickup trucks, which has long-held the No. 1 position as the top-selling vehicle in the U.S. (and the world), followed by Chevrolet Silverado and Ram 1500 pickups.
Top ten selling vehicles in the US:
Ford F-Series
Chevrolet Silverado
Ram Pickup
Toyota RAV4
Honda CR-V
Honda Civic
Toyota Camry
Chevrolet Equinox
Nissan Rogue
GMC Sierra

https://www.forbes.com/wheels/news/t...x-months-2020/

Old Posted Oct 17, 2020, 3:30 AM

Quote:
Light trucks, a category that includes pickups, SUVs and crossovers, also now account for 75% of the new vehicle market, reflecting Americans’ thirst for larger, higher-riding SUVs and crossovers over smaller passenger cars. Fifteen of the top-selling vehicles fall into this group, including the Ford F-Series line of pickup trucks, which has long-held the No. 1 position as the top-selling vehicle in the U.S. (and the world), followed by Chevrolet Silverado and Ram 1500 pickups.
Why do I doubt that the Ford F-Series pickup trucks are the best-selling vehicles in the whole world? I don't even think the F-Series is even sold around the world.

I thought the world's best-selling vehicle was the Toyota Corolla, which to me is more plausible, being that the Corolla is indeed sold in many countries around the world.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Oct 17, 2020, 4:03 AM
DownTowner

In my neck of the woods, Tesla Model S, Model X; Porsche 911, Cayenne, Macan; BMW X5, 5 series, Mercedes GLE, Range Rover, Audi Q7, Q5.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Last edited by PFloyd; Oct 17, 2020 at 11:29 PM.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2020, 4:20 AM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
They are indeed fun to drive. I had a 2012 Mini Cooper, bought new, and it was fun for the first 4 years... and then after that, it was just problem after problem after problem. And I maintained it like I was supposed to, but it still kept needing repairs. It died on me last December, and I was happy to get rid of it. I'm never getting one (or any European car) again.
That's because they're really BMWs. After 3 years, most German cars start to develop issues. In the first 3 years, they're awesome though.

Speaking of EVs and Mini Coopers, there is going to be a new electric Mini Cooper so that'll be cool to see. Honda also made a similar car called the E but unfortunately it won't be sold in the US bc Americans hate small cars. Such a shame because this would be a fun little city car to zip around in.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2020, 12:32 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^^

At least that interior is trippy and had some thought put into it. Unlike Tesla', which suck.

German cars if taken care of will not cause issues after 3 years. Problem is, folks like Bill and his wife Marianne don't do preventative maintenance, and so... if you let the noises one hears in the cars become louder, than... than... German cars become really expensive to fix.

Treat the German car with respect, and it will treat you right.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2020, 12:51 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8721 View Post
The usual Japanese cars are most popular: honda Civic, Accord, Nissan Altima(i have one)...etc.
Interesting that Nissan is so popular in the South but not the rest of the US, and of couse an American car for the upper Midwest:
https://insurify.com/insights/most-p...by-state-2020/
my guess was anecdotal but it appears that i nailed it.

i spend a lot of time navigating the “frontier” between the lower midwest and the mid south and the two signals i always pick up are churches (prevalence of catholicism) and import vs domestic vehicles. in particular you know you are getting close to tennessee when you start to see less nice gmc pickup trucks and more nice nissan titans as the vehicle of choice for petit bourgeoisie. the 80s style domestic manufacturing protectionism is still alive in the “professional” blue collar culture of the midwest.

when i was a kid in st. louis, i remember that import cars were common in white collar suburbs but you still bought a domestic pick up truck. my relatives from the south would show up in toyota 4X4s and it seemed like the reaction was that it was almost gauche.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2020, 1:20 PM

i also will admit that my last vehicle purchase was a domestic truck specifically because it was manufactured in my metro area by a corporation headquartered in the u.s. domestic auto manufacturing was gutted in missouri (which at one time was number two or three behind michigan) but theres still a gm truck plant in metro st louis and a ford truck plant in kansas city. as an aside, st. louis was the home of the corvette for about a half century.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2020, 4:23 PM

Quote:
They are indeed fun to drive. I had a 2012 Mini Cooper, bought new, and it was fun for the first 4 years... and then after that, it was just problem after problem after problem. And I maintained it like I was supposed to, but it still kept needing repairs. It died on me last December, and I was happy to get rid of it. I'm never getting one (or any European car) again.
Mini's car share service failed because of the high maintenance costs of the vehicles.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2020, 4:26 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
my guess was anecdotal but it appears that i nailed it.

i spend a lot of time navigating the “frontier” between the lower midwest and the mid south and the two signals i always pick up are churches (prevalence of catholicism) and import vs domestic vehicles. in particular you know you are getting close to tennessee when you start to see less nice gmc pickup trucks and more nice nissan titans as the vehicle of choice for petit bourgeoisie. the 80s style domestic manufacturing protectionism is still alive in the “professional” blue collar culture of the midwest.

when i was a kid in st. louis, i remember that import cars were common in white collar suburbs but you still bought a domestic pick up truck. my relatives from the south would show up in toyota 4X4s and it seemed like the reaction was that it was almost gauche.
Trucks make sense because Americans do make really solid trucks. The full size Toyota Tundras and Nissan Titans are nice and offer good import alternatives. The Honda Ridgeline is trash though for heavy duty pick up trucking. Other than trucks, I'm not sure what domestic vehicles offer enticing alternatives to JDM or Euro imports.

The Impala and Malibu choices are head scratching to say the least. In fact, the Impala is so crappy that it has ended production as of February 2020. As for the Malibu, the Camry and Accord are vastly superior, and I wouldn't be surprised if Chevy follows Ford and exits the sedan market entirely.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2020, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO View Post
If we are talking all personal vehicles, trucks still rule:

Americans Are Still Car Shopping: The Top 20 Selling Vehicles Despite A Global Pandemic

Top ten selling vehicles in the US:
Ford F-Series
Chevrolet Silverado
Ram Pickup
Toyota RAV4
Honda CR-V
Honda Civic
Toyota Camry
Chevrolet Equinox
Nissan Rogue
GMC Sierra

https://www.forbes.com/wheels/news/t...x-months-2020/
Yeah, pickup trucks are suddenly the new status symbol in the Detroit area. I have a few white collar friends that have bought high-end F150s or Silverados recently. These are the same types of people that would've bought something like a Tahoe a decade ago.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2020, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Very true with NYC and NJ, Accords.

It might be a close tie with Toyota Camrys. Slight edge to Accords if pure numbers are present. You tend to see a lot of them in the cities. Some folks like to put tints on them and modify the mufflers which sounds ok on the V6, but just sad with 4 cylinders (and shameful). Get a v8 for a muffler mod. NYC has taxi fleets of hybrid Toyotas, but it will never be as iconic as the Crown Victoria.

In Manhattan, you will see fleets of S550's. Literally fleets of them sometimes. Also a lot of Jeeps.

Nissan Altimas are common as well, which are the cheating girlfriend car.

But I can't blame folks for getting an Accord. The v6 is actually quite decent. Yeah its no V8, and is essentially a budget car for folks that can't afford better, but its get the job done.

Yeah would make sense for Florida to have the cheating girlfriend car, the Altima.

They need to bring back the Chevy SS. The Malibu is a POS.

Honorable mention to the any Honda minivan or Toyota minivan. Those things are hazards and tend to be driven by folks with homicidal depth perception. And they tend to have dents in them. Every notice that? Next time you see a minivan, good chance it will have some dents in it. Karen can barely see over the wheel.

Any minivan driven in Brooklyn by members of the Hasidic group is to be avoided. Usually there's like 15 of them in the van, and they turn with no warning. For your own health and safety, take the subway, and avoid the BQE after 2 pm.
The Subaru Outback is very popular in north Brooklyn.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2020, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Other than trucks, I'm not sure what domestic vehicles offer enticing alternatives to JDM or Euro imports.
Domestics are a generation ahead of Japanese imports in BEVs with Tesla and the upcoming Mustang Mach E and GMs Ultium platform. They're better positioned to capitalize on the increase in BEV market share.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2020, 5:13 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
Domestics are a generation ahead of Japanese imports in BEVs with Tesla and the upcoming Mustang Mach E and GMs Ultium platform. They're better positioned to capitalize on the increase in BEV market share.
Correct and I also think Chinese brands could have a breakout moment as well. They have been dumping a lot of R&D capital in EV technology and show a lot of progress in the technology. I'm long in several Chinese EV stocks and they are moving pretty aggressively outside China.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2020, 5:55 PM
你的媽媽

American EVs are going to have to hit a home run in order to gain market share from imports then. If not, by the next generation import EVs will have caught up and buyers will quickly go back.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2020, 4:20 AM
REAL Kiwi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Yeah, pickup trucks are suddenly the new status symbol in the Detroit area. I have a few white collar friends that have bought high-end F150s or Silverados recently. These are the same types of people that would've bought something like a Tahoe a decade ago.
I think the F150 has been #1 for quite a while, not sure how long. This article is one of those annoying slide shows, but I pulled this years sales to date numbers for 2020:

*note, looks like GM/Chevy pick ups are equivalent in sales to the Ford overall

1. Ford F-Series (589,034 units sold)
2. Chevrolet Silverado (409,967 units sold)
3. Ram Pickup (402,410 units sold)
4. Toyota RAV4 (302,574 units sold)
5. Honda CR-V (237,334 units sold)
6. Toyota Camry (204,945 units sold)
7. Honda Civic (200,941 units sold)
8. Chevrolet Equinox (191,727 units sold)
9. GMC Sierra (174,645 units sold)
10. Nissan Rogue (167,401 units sold)

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/g3...2020/?slide=13

Old Posted Oct 18, 2020, 4:31 AM
REAL Kiwi!

Quote:

Why do I doubt that the Ford F-Series pickup trucks are the best-selling vehicles in the whole world? I don't even think the F-Series is even sold around the world.

I thought the world's best-selling vehicle was the Toyota Corolla, which to me is more plausible, being that the Corolla is indeed sold in many countries around the world.
This source has them at #2 in the world and Corolla number one with 1.6 and 1.3% overall market share respectively. This is some kind of pay/industry source I did not join but there is text that states this...

https://www.focus2move.com/world-best-selling-car/

Interesting tidbit, searching for best selling vehicles of ALL time and its the same two vehicles:

Quote:
#2 Ford F-Series pickup
Models Sold: Over 40 million

Ford’s F-Series pickup has been America’s best-selling truck since 1977, and the country’s best-selling vehicle since 1983. Tough, long-lasting, and capable of hauling huge loads or towing big trailers, the model dates back to 1948, meaning F-Series fans have been buying the same truck for generations. This means Ford’s truck has one hell of a dedicated base.

#1 Toyota Corolla
Models Sold: Over 43 million

The Toyota Corolla isn’t very exciting, but it’s darn useful. Launched in 1966, the Corolla offered good levels of comfort, practicality, and reliability at an affordable price. And it doesn’t quit; one quick scan of the roads and you’ll likely find generations of Corollas still out there. Today, there are other cars out there that have similar attributes, but hardly any of them can do it as simply and easily as the Corolla.
https://www.motorbiscuit.com/best-se...s-of-all-time/

Old Posted Oct 18, 2020, 1:33 PM
video et taceo

This thing is going to become the new champion. I can feel it.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2020, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
This thing is going to become the new champion. I can feel it.

it’s no cyber truck but i like anything that i think might look handsome rolling slowly down a trashcan fire-lit alley

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions