HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 5:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
It must be hard being a Conservative Libertarian during a pandemic. Dealing with it requires all the things that they abhor: common sense, science, cooperation, the greater good, collective action, selflessness, regard for others and government intervention.
LMAO!!

Gotta say I love working from home. I used to define success as being able to conference with other partners and clients in my pajamas, but that milestone is now meaningless now that everyone is also doing that haha. We also saved a lot of money not expanding the office, and everyone is just as productive as before.

Going back and forth from Vancouver hasn't been fun though, mainly due to masks in the already warm plane. Only did 2 trips all summer, popped sleeping pills just hoping to simply wake up at the end of the flights lol.

Last edited by dleung; Sep 30, 2020 at 6:11 AM.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Some of us really want to know what it is! Pictures would be even better

I almost bought a 1956 F-100 last year that didn't even need that much of a restoration... it was quite cheap, but sold to someone else while I was hesitating.
Sure! 1993 GMC Sierra shortbox. Not yet a classic in the way that Ford would have been, but 1993 is the year I was born and I grew up with my dad and uncles all driving these. Learned how to drive in one of these at age 12.

First stage is tearing down the rear end for rust removal and paint. I don't have the time, spce, money, or tools for full frame-up restoration but am trying to do as good and thorough of a job as I can.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 1:44 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
It must be hard being a Conservative Libertarian during a pandemic. Dealing with it requires all the things that they abhor: common sense, science, cooperation, the greater good, collective action, selflessness, regard for others and government intervention.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 2:56 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Good job character assassinating and typecasting the libertarian minded in our society.

A lot of rural folk have libertarian bents. In general, a lot of rural types have abundant common sense, and do cooperate with one another (barn raising anyone?) They also believe in collective actions, but only so far as their particular community is concerned. They respect their neighbours and are frequently selfless, especially in terms of looking out for their neighbours, fundraising for churches and private charity for worthy causes.

As for their suspicion for science and government collectivism, that is a given. Their suspicion of science is generally rooted in low educational attainment, although most farmers these days have university degrees. I think they appreciate applied science as it pertains to their needs. Their disregard for government collectivism is rooted in their individualism, and their belief that they have a right in determining where their charitable efforts are directed to.

Now we all know "survivalists" who exist at the far fringe of the libertarian movement, but their existence should not tarnish libertarianism in general. There can be a virtue in self sufficiency and rugged individualism (in moderation).

One thing's for sure, when the apocalypse happens, it would be people like my late father-in-law who had his own mechanic shop in rural Antigonish County, and did a bit of subsistence farming on the side who would survive the longest. He had a few rifles and shotguns which would come in handy for deer hunting too. On the other hand, your latte slurping downtown Toronto metrosexual would be dead within 4 weeks of the apocalypse. And, since I am highly domesticated myself, I would also be dead shortly thereafter...........

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 3:17 PM
The Vomit Bag.

We all forgot about the many times when Doug raised barns. In Perth, no less.

Pointing out the limitations of a particular political orientation/creed, given a set of circumstances, is not at all inappropriate. There are a limited set of circumstances when a libertarian-orientation might be optimal (although it is hard to imagine when given the complexity of modern society), but a pandemic is certainly not one of them. Government intervention is rather like raising barns, but at a societal level. Many if not most ordinary people simply do not have the means (resources) or knowledge necessary to cope with pandemic, without assistance from various levels of government.

Likewise, the issues facing the world today (be they economic, climate, and social) require an appreciation for getting to the truth. The scientific method offers, by far, the very best pathway to the truth. A pathway that may approach the truth, even if never getting there 100% of the time, given the skepticism that is built into the scientific method, and the fact that the truth is not always absolute, but often bound by circumstances, constraints, and contexts. Just as in medical trials on the effectiveness of one or another intervention, which requires blocking on subject factors as well as environmental factors, and even then, does not give an absolutely certain outcome, but one that is expressed in probabilistic terms.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Last edited by MolsonExport; Sep 30, 2020 at 3:30 PM.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 3:19 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
We all forgot about the many times when Doug raised barns. In Perth, no less.

I was speaking in general terms...........

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny24 View Post
Sure! 1993 GMC Sierra shortbox. Not yet a classic in the way that Ford would have been, but 1993 is the year I was born and I grew up with my dad and uncles all driving these. Learned how to drive in one of these at age 12.

LOL, this is absolutely hilarious. As it happens, my daily driver right now (one of my several work trucks) is a 1993 (not 1992 or 1994!) GMC Sierra (it could have been a Chevy, but no) in that exact same teal color as yours (it couldn't have been any other color...)

And for an even further coincidence, yesterday evening, I figured, hey, I've had that one for a couple years already and it's been a very good work truck, I should start to "reward" it by taking pics of it in various contexts (any vehicle of mine that I like(d) enough, even if long gone now, I'll still have pictures of it as memories). I previously had AFAIK no pics of it, because it wasn't my main vehicle originally - I just bought it as a backup one (it was a deal I couldn't pass). But now it's my main truck these days, and my main driver at the moment since I need a truck almost every day.

Forgot to add that I don't consider it a classic

Here it is yesterday evening with the bed full of junk (yes, those are apples that are about to become apple jam as I drive over them, happens every fall in that particular driveway).

IMG_3320 by triple_sim, on Flickr

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 3:38 PM

My other GM might actually be much more of a (future! ) collectible than my teal 1993 GMC Sierra as it's a fairly rare factory turbodiesel Z71 4x4 shortbox. Here it is in an older post of mine from 5+ years ago:

Quote:
My good old 6.5 Chevy truck, pic taken yesterday evening on historic Route 66.

I maintain it myself
It just carried a two-ton cooling tower gearbox over a couple thousand kms without the slightest problem. (While burning only dead dino oil on this trip, and I changed the fuel pump and fuel filter before I left. Couldn't take the risk of getting stranded this time.)

The two trucks have pretty much the same engine (6.5 turbodiesel) with the one difference that the 1993 GMC has the mechanical injection (DB2) while the Chevy being slightly newer has it electronic (DS4). I personally prefer mechanical, actually.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 3:45 PM

One last thing I'll add before we can switch back to more on-topic conversation, is that the reason I stick to older trucks is that I'm an inveterate cheapskate, and anything newer than 1995 is subject to Quebec's hefty displacement tax, while my trucks cost the lowest possible amount in yearly plates (same price at the tiniest Toyota or Honda). So, every time I start to consider replacing them with newer trucks, after careful consideration, this ends up killing it for me

Anyway, I consider my '93 Sierra to be about as reliable in its current state as any 10-15 years old truck would be; to buy a truck that's new enough to be guaranteed to have zero issues as the next few years pass, I'd have to buy something that's new enough that it would cost me quite a bit in acquisition then depreciation. So at that point, I find there's little actual reliability difference anyway, but I do avoid the displacement tax.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 4:27 PM

Quote:
One last thing I'll add before we can switch back to more on-topic conversation, is that the reason I stick to older trucks is that I'm an inveterate cheapskate, and anything newer than 1995 is subject to Quebec's hefty displacement tax, while my trucks cost the lowest possible amount in yearly plates (same price at the tiniest Toyota or Honda). So, every time I start to consider replacing them with newer trucks, after careful consideration, this ends up killing it for me

Anyway, I consider my '93 Sierra to be about as reliable in its current state as any 10-15 years old truck would be; to buy a truck that's new enough to be guaranteed to have zero issues as the next few years pass, I'd have to buy something that's new enough that it would cost me quite a bit in acquisition then depreciation. So at that point, I find there's little actual reliability difference anyway, but I do avoid the displacement tax.
nice trucks Lio! What a coincidence on the year/colour! It won't stay that way, I'm still undecided on the final colour, but it's going to end up a Chevy grill and a fleetside box. If there wasn't so much rust I'd have considered keeping the cilour, but since it will need paint I'll pick something else. I bought this based on my absolutes - had to be a 2 door, short box, automatic, V8, with the older square-style interior. Trim/colour could be variable, and I was willing to fix a lot of stuff as long as the frame and drivetrain were solid. My secondary goal, along with actually owning the truck, was to learn how to work on vehicles. Never got much into it before but these trucks are simple enough mechanically that I can learn how to do things myself on them.

I was just saying this week to my fiancee that I'd love to drive route 66 as a vacation one day.

My DD is a 2014 Silverado that I bought brand new when I was 20. Eventually I'll need to buy a third truck to actually beat on, since the '14 is my baby (but works when it needs to!)

Anyway, yes, back to our grievances...

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 4:51 PM

Quote:
nice trucks Lio! What a coincidence on the year/colour! It won't stay that way, I'm still undecided on the final colour, but it's going to end up a Chevy grill and a fleetside box.
Ironically, the '95 Chevy pictured above almost ended up with a GMC grille and stepside box. But inertia won in the end and it stayed as it was

(If you consider it a classic, you may want to keep it as original as possible, though.)

Quote:
If there wasn't so much rust I'd have considered keeping the cilour, but since it will need paint I'll pick something else. I bought this based on my absolutes - had to be a 2 door, short box, automatic, V8, with the older square-style interior. Trim/colour could be variable, and I was willing to fix a lot of stuff as long as the frame and drivetrain were solid. My secondary goal, along with actually owning the truck, was to learn how to work on vehicles. Never got much into it before but these trucks are simple enough mechanically that I can learn how to do things myself on them.
My absolutes are "diesel" and "not subject to Quebec's displacement tax"

You prefer the square 88-94 interior?!? Really?!? I dislike the square dashboard, always looked weird to me (those aren't my first GMT400s), but greatly prefer the door panels and style of the seats (they're more classic) over the 95-98 design.

Also, the 95-98 mirrors >>> the 88-94 ones, in terms of looks. (My '93 has the towing mirrors anyway.)

Quote:
I was just saying this week to my fiancee that I'd love to drive route 66 as a vacation one day.
I recommend it

The truck pictured above only went as far as Texas, but I did the whole round trip to California already (with my 5.0 manual Foxstang convertible, 15+ years ago) on Rte 66.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Anyway, yes, back to our grievances...
"Not being able to drive Route 66 due to the closed border"?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Ironically, the '95 Chevy pictured above almost ended up with a GMC grille and stepside box. But inertia won in the end and it stayed as it was

(If you consider it a classic, you may want to keep it as original as possible, though.)
This one is just for me, I'm not too worried about it. It will definitely get a GM paint colour, that's close enough. I'll keep the OG grille around, it's not in good enough shape to sell really so could always put it back on..

Quote:
My absolutes are "diesel" and "not subject to Quebec's displacement tax"

You prefer the square 88-94 interior?!? Really?!? I dislike the square dashboard, always looked weird to me (those aren't my first GMT400s), but greatly prefer the door panels and style of the seats (they're more classic) over the 95-98 design.

Also, the 95-98 mirrors >>> the 88-94 ones, in terms of looks. (My '93 has the towing mirrors anyway.)

I recommend it

The truck pictured above only went as far as Texas, but I did the whole round trip to California already (with my 5.0 manual Foxstang convertible, 15+ years ago) on Rte 66.
Yeah, it's a nostalgia thing. My dad had a '89 and then a '91, and after that moved on to 2002. So the square dash is strongly correlated to the square exterior in my mind, and the rounded interior with the rounded 99-03 style. The 95-98 round interior just seems wrong in there to me.

Quote:
"Not being able to drive Route 66 due to the closed border"?
And not being able to go truck shopping in the rust-free South!

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 1:00 AM
recession proof

I used to drive an '87 F150 single cab around farm country; the farmer I worked for controversially replaced it with a teal '93 just like yours. (He grew up in a Ford family.) I prefer the original dash - looked more classic 1980s GM. In the late 1980s we used to think the new look GM/Chevy trucks looks so sleek compared to the facelifted '87 F150 based on an earlier design.

Nothing beats a bench seat with stick shift for running around rural dirt roads. J24: teal was the color to have on an early 90s car/truck so I wouldn't change it.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 2:19 AM
The Vomit Bag.

I had a truck way back when life kinda sucked. I don't miss that truck nor those days at all.

After all this is the "air your grievances" thread, not the less than great Canadian pickup truck thread.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 2:36 AM

I went to fix something on one of the buildings earlier (I'm back in Quebec at the moment, I guess I should update my SSP location) and grabbed the tools I needed and walked to it and then back.

I love the lifestyle of my current state of transportation: walk to places when I feel like it, bike to places (with the stuff I need in a backpack) when it's far enough that it would be inefficient to walk, and then take the truck only when I actually need the capabilities of a truck (which frankly, is often enough these days)

All in all, it's decently green.

Was even greener when the Chevy pictured above ran on used vegetable oil (I did that for two years).

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 2:40 AM

Quote:
I had a truck way back when life kinda sucked. I don't miss that truck nor those days at all.
What was it?

Quote:
After all this is the "air your grievances" thread, not the less than great Canadian pickup truck thread.
Grievance for 2020: not being able to "See the USA in my Chevy Truck" by driving Route 66 again with it (but all the way to California this time, rather than merely Texas.)

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 2:40 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Shitty/beat-up Ford Ranger. But I needed it for hauling. very different career path back in those days.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 2:42 AM
The Vomit Bag.

I've seen/smelled buses powered by used cooking oil. The fragrant smell of yesterdays french fries...

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Shitty/beat-up Ford Ranger. But I needed it for hauling. very different career path back in those days.
They were pretty tough little trucks, especially the later years (of the original design, not the current new global model).

SSP Admin "JManc" has one and loves it.

I thought you went to school full time then graduated then got a job in academia? Out of curiosity, what did you ever haul in such large volumes (packs of 24 of your namesake, during college days)?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada